Please help.....

Options
So I'm a little confused..... I'm trying to lose 80lb within no true time frame. I have heard you need to eat your "burned" calories and then I have also heard not to eat your "burned" calories!

What do I need to do to keep losing my 1.5 lb a week.........???????

Replies

• alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I think that is the most asked question here. I eat back some of my exercise calories and try not to fall below 1100-1200 calories too often. I think my average is about 1 1/2 per week - and I don't feel deprived.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1200 calories a day and exercise. :]

Oh, and if you're hungry, only eat till you're no longer hungry anymore. Don't force feed.
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    Same here... I've been asking this question all day and keep getting conflicting answers. Just frustrated.
  • hyork31
    hyork31 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think that you don't want to eat your burned calories just to make yourself that much closer to your weight goal. If you come in under your daily calories burned or not is what you want to go for. (this is my take on it)
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    For an example... My calorie goal is set at 1200 and I burn 300 calories I should only eat 200 of those calories back to stay within the 1200 range?
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks. I try to eat right at the recommended calories to lose 2 lbs a week. For me, that's 1600 calories or so. And typically I don't eat back any exercise calories unless I'm hungry or want something fun.

Drink craploads of water.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my calories. I eat 1200 calories a day and exercise daily.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    According to some trainers you need a defecit in your calories, and 500 calories defecit is about 1lbs a week or so. For example on here it says to eat 1200 calories a day if you aren't working out so if you workout and burn 750 calories then you should be eating 1450. I don't consume my workout exercise calories because I find it too excessive to be eating that much food, I usually range from 1200-1400 calories a day when I workout. Do what feels good to you, you don't want to be feel hungry all the time either so listen to your body. Moderation is always the key!
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    I keep hearing 1,200 as the 'magic number' for not falling into "starvation mode", so I think 'eating your exercise calories' is just to make sure you're still over 1,200 (and not hungry). My weight loss had stopped after I had been down almost 1,000 calories from my goal (itself 500 under maintenance), so I spent a week staying as close to my goal as possible, and I'm losing weight again. This makes me think that those two aims are correct: eat your exercise calories, if that's what it takes to stay over 1,200 calories per day.

I've only been doing this for six weeks, though, so I'm hardly an expert; just drawing upon my own experiences and trying to consolidate those of others here. BYO-grain of salt. :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "eat back your exercise calories" because it insinuates such a formulaic, fixed approach to it. The fact is everyone's body works in different ways, and there is no one size fits all answer to this. Do what works for you, and pay attention to what your body is saying. If you feel tired all the time, or if your exercise capability is not increasing (it should increase!), you should probably eat more, especially protein.
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options
    WOW! Thank you everyone! I was just asking because the calorie counter here..... every time I exercise it gives me "extra" calories to eat but still sub tracks my calories so I still have the calorie count I need to lose.

Example: I worked out and burned 936 calories. For that day I was given 2496 calories to eat. Then it took 2496 - 936 and it came out to my calorie total limit. If this make since. I was just making sure that I can eat the calories the counter tells me too lol.

On a good note I have lost 4.1 lb
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank you everyone! I was just asking because the calorie counter here..... every time I exercise it gives me "extra" calories to eat but still sub tracks my calories so I still have the calorie count I need to lose.

Example: I worked out and burned 936 calories. For that day I was given 2496 calories to eat. Then it took 2496 - 936 and it came out to my calorie total limit. If this make since. I was just making sure that I can eat the calories the counter tells me too lol.

You can in theory eat the calories it tells you, but note that the estimates MFP gives for calories burned through exercise are often too high, so if you are eating all of your exercise calories back and the weight loss slows down, you may need to eat fewer of them.
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options

You can in theory eat the calories it tells you, but note that the estimates MFP gives for calories burned through exercise are often too high, so if you are eating all of your exercise calories back and the weight loss slows down, you may need to eat fewer of them.

Oh ok. This makes a little more since.