Weighing the Weigh-In

FindingFit50s
FindingFit50s Posts: 162
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm debating how often I should weigh in. I've done monthly in the past, and it worked okay, but I think I'd rather keep a tighter eye on my weight so I can quickly adjust if needed. I usually do weekly, but my husband (who weighs daily and has kept off an 80-pound loss for the past couple of years) recently showed me an article that indicated that people who weigh daily are most successful in controlling their weight.

I'm thinking of weighing daily, but for tracking purposes, just recording it once a week.

I'd like to hear what weighing schedule works for you and why you think it works better than an alternative schedule.

Replies

• I've had the same debate with myself over the last few months. I ended up going with the daily weighing but typically recording it on a weekly basis. This way when I have run into slight increases during the week I have given myself a chance to make up for it to be more satisfied with myself at the end of the week.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I think you have to be careful not to obsess in the scale. I weight weekly because your weight can fluctuate throughout the day and this gives you a a clearer long term picture.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    I am bad about wanting to jump on the scale everyday so I do it every 3-4 days and only record once a week, just know that if one day you gain a lb and the next day you might be down two that the body fluctuates that is why people say just once a week but its a bad habit for me too so I at least try to weigh every few days because if I know I'm going to be weighing myself it keeps me on the right path as far as what I eat and whether I do activity
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    I weigh daily or almost every day just to keep tabs on what is going on. I chart it weekly (on the day I have lost weight. lol) This seems to work well for me.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    I weigh myself every morning but only log in on MFP once a week. It doesn't take much for our weight to fluctuate and even moreso with warm weather and water retention so it's just for a 'heads up' for me. I just like to see where I stand on a daily basis so I do it first thing in the morning.
  • I think you have to be careful not to obsess in the scale. I weight weekly because your weight can fluctuate throughout the day and this gives you a a clearer long term picture.
    I sooooo Agree!!:happy:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    i weigh every day, but i write it all in my diary, and my year planner, so if i'm having a hard week, i just look back through the months and notice that every month for the last 6 months i've lost weight, and that's all that matters at the end of the month that i'm lower than at the start of the month, and that the trend is always downwards, even if it is sometimes slower than i would like.
This discussion has been closed.