40 year old weight training and cardio

Options
jarablue
jarablue Posts: 127 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone. So I am at 256.8 without clothes. 6'1 male. I have lost almost 70 pounds. My blood pressure used to be 140 over 91 and it's now 117 over 78! I am taking 50mg of atenolol with 1200mg of fish oil 1xday. I am so happy with the blood pressure drop that I was thinking of starting the 5x5 stronglifts program. Do you guys think that is reasonable for a 40yo for strength training? I am doing 13 to 15min minute a mile power walking and am about to buy running shoes to start wogging. So happy for this site. You guys are such inspiration and motivators. Whenever I feel my effort waning I come here to the forums and have renewed energy to stay focused. This site is invaluable!

Is stronglifts ok for a 40yo? I think at the rate I'm going I will soon be off my hypertension meds (with drs approval of course). Thanks again everyone :) you are all awesome!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good work!

Yes, SL is fine for a 40 yo.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts and I am 41.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I started Starting Strength at 40 and about the same shape as you and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Check with the doctor, by some flat sole shoes (Chuck Taylor's), watch a lot of videos and record yourself doing the exercises. Buy the Starting Strength book and read it even if you choose to do StrongLifts, the information in the book is incredible.

Good luck
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I turned 41 and do strong lift, as long as you do not have any problems such as back problems or a hernia, or heart problems, it should be ok. If you have any serious medical conditions check with your doctor first.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hell yes, absolutely, why not start tomorrow? I started at 37 and it's a struggle, but now looking back at 43 I am so very glad I did. Start the program and stick with it. You will undoubtedly get sore, frustrated, etc., but don't quit. And definitely pat yourself on the back for that first 70 pounds. That kind of change takes a lot of work.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    42 here and I do StrongLifts. Love it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Actually, strength training is more important that you think.

At 40 males start losing about 1% of our lean muscle mass and the rate of loss accelerates unless we do something about it it. Weight loss and blood pressure issues aside (talk to your dr about it) strength training will help slow down or reverse the loss of lean muscle mass. It may not be the fountain of youth but it can help you prevent becoming one of those frail old men you see who can barely walk (the good news is that it's never too late to start, even men in their 60s, 70s and beyond can benefit from resistance training)

mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

heartinsight.heart.org/Winter-2015/Can-Strength-Training-Help-with-Blood-Pressure/
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Actually, strength training is more important that you think.

At 40 males start losing about 1% of our lean muscle mass and the rate of loss accelerates unless we do something about it it. Weight loss and blood pressure issues aside (talk to your dr about it) strength training will help slow down or reverse the loss of lean muscle mass. It may not be the fountain of youth but it can help you prevent becoming one of those frail old men you see who can barely walk (the good news is that it's never too late to start, even men in their 60s, 70s and beyond can benefit from resistance training)

mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

heartinsight.heart.org/Winter-2015/Can-Strength-Training-Help-with-Blood-Pressure/

Their are some men at me gym in their 60's and 70's than are supper lean and muscular. I hope by the time I am their age, I am that fit, it gives me something to achieve towards.
  • daryllhilton
    daryllhilton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Crikey !!! You're not 90 pal. I'm 45 and I'm stronger now than I was in my twenties. Absolutely go for it !!!!!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Strength training has no age limit. I started at 12 and still do it at 46. If S.S. incorporates your goals it is a good starting point. Otherwise there are plenty of starter programs with different goals.