with good comes the bad

Options
well I don't know how many of you out there have PCOS, but I have lost a total of 18 pounds and now my periods have returned.
This is great, because we want to have a baby. But with it came this crazy huge chocolate craving that I just could not fight, and now it has triggered all my old cravings and I am having to train my self all over again these last couple of days.
Any of you out there know what trigger foods are? Some people have a trigger that causes all their bad cravings. mine is suger. I go almost without it for about 2 weeks and all the cravings totally go away. it is a big reason that I am doing so well with my weight loss.
so good news is my period is back and maybe I can ger pregnant, bad news is i hope I am not having to fight this chocolate thing every time.
anyone out there know what causes that chocolate craving????:huh:

Replies

• rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    well I don't know how many of you out there have PCOS, but I have lost a total of 18 pounds and now my periods have returned.
    This is great, because we want to have a baby. But with it came this crazy huge chocolate craving that I just could not fight, and now it has triggered all my old cravings and I am having to train my self all over again these last couple of days.
    Any of you out there know what trigger foods are? Some people have a trigger that causes all their bad cravings. mine is suger. I go almost without it for about 2 weeks and all the cravings totally go away. it is a big reason that I am doing so well with my weight loss.
    so good news is my period is back and maybe I can ger pregnant, bad news is i hope I am not having to fight this chocolate thing every time.
    anyone out there know what causes that chocolate craving????:huh:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Because it's AWESOME! When I have a really bad chocolate craving (and am doing good) I have 1 Hershey kiss OR a couple of semi sweet chocolate chips w/ cherry flavored Craisins -only a couple and it tastes like a chocolate covered cherry! Or even try a mug of hot cocoa with Hershey's cocoa, skim milk and Splenda. This usually helps me. Don't be afraid to have a little bit every once in awhile so you don't feel as you are depriving yourself!
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thanks. I will try that. I have never had this craving like this before. I like chocolate, but I have never really craved it :tongue:
  • alaskagal
    Options
    You might try adding more magnesium to your diet. It's thought by some that women may be deficient in magnesium before their periods. Supposedly switching to dark chocolate will increase the health value while helping curb the cravings. Doesn't work for me as I'm a milk chocolate gal :wink:
    Good job with taming the PCOS beast and best of luck with any future pregnancy.
  • owegorose
    Options
    Those days are in my past, but for me that extreme craving for food was a little easier when I limited salt and exercised more than usual the week before my period started.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Everybody craves chocolate, and most can relate to it being around that time of the month, but if you have such a hard time with sugar, you should look into doing a candida cleanse.

Candida is basically an overgrowth of yeast and it causes what can feel like a sugar addiction, grumpiness, things like that. You should look it up and see if you have any of the symptoms, and if you do you can find a cleanse for it at your local health food store.

Without more info, I honestly can't say if it's that or not, but it's an idea? :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    You can always try the 99% chocolate. If it's chocolate you are craving, that will work (and it doesn't have the same "must eat the entire bar" taste as some candy bars). It's relatively good for you as well.
  • Jillian
    Options
    How about giving in. There are lots of sugar free chocolates out there, Dove makes a fantastic dark chocolate mint. It's low and fat, cals and carbs, and honestly I never need to eat the 5 that are in a single serving! It was really hard for me during PMS after I started this diet, but I let myself have SOME of what I wanted, entered it right away, then I could move on. If I needed to adjust the rest of my days intake I did, but I felt satisfied. Good Luck!!