Pool walking?

Options
I just recently got a pool and I was wondering if walking in a pool would burn calories, I saw water jogging in the exercises but I'm not really sure what that consists of. Do anybody have any answers?

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just recently got a pool and I was wondering if walking in a pool would burn calories, I saw water jogging in the exercises but I'm not really sure what that consists of. Do anybody have any answers?
    Yes it counts.We do loads of it during water aerobics. What you can do is walk the length of the then walk backwards. Walk back making sure you are raising your knees high and again come returns backwards. You can also do sideways crabwalks. If you buy a pair of water weights you can also do arm curls as you are walking. The key is to keep them just below the surface of the water for best resistance. I think if you google there are a few dvds out on water exercise. You can get a really good workout in.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes it does but I have learned that swimming burns a few more calories then treading water... Enjoy
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Awesome information! I'm hanging out in my dad's pool tomorrow so....I know what tomorrow's exercise is gonna be!!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Yes, water walking or jogging is a great workout because it's easy on your joints but the water adds more resistance than air. There was a marathon runner who was injured and could only train by water running but it kept her in such good shape she won her next marathon (obviously she worked beyond the level most of us do in the pool, but still, it shows that you can get a comparable workout).
  • MallRatMeg
    MallRatMeg Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks guys! Also, What do I add in as in the exercise log?
  • milaxx
    Options
    Thanks guys! Also, What do I add in as in the exercise log?
    There's a listing in under cardio for water jogging
  • delilah122
    delilah122 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you for bringing up this topic. I have been doing this for exercise this past week and couldn't find it in the database. I'm not a strong swimmer and I needed and option for the triple digit temps that will be arriving soon in this part of the country. I did some investigating and found that you can burn up to 250 calories in 30 minutes by water walking in water that is chest deep if you also move your arms vigorously and work those muscles, as well. I added this to the database if anyone is comfortable with this information and would like to use it.
  • milaxx
    Options
    FYI: I like using the water weights as well. I've found them at ****s sporting goods, Amazon.com, keifer.com and swimoutet.com

I find it adds even more challenge to use the weights in conjunction with the legs movements.