Healthy to go snacks

Options
Hey guys . I was wondering any tips or suggestions for snacks that are healthy. I have a busy schedule where I work and go straight to college classes at night. I would like to plan ahead that way I dont slip and buy the wrong things. I know fruits and veggies but what else has seem to work ? Thanks for your help.

Replies

• rachiedor
    rachiedor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm out all day too. I carry with me some of these snacks: "just a handful of almonds" packet from trader joes, 2 hard boiled eggs, baby bell light cheese, a bag with a few "multigrain mini crackers" from trader joes, air popped pop corn, a big bag of cut of veggies, Greek yogurt, banana..
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like cheese and nuts, which are small to carry and keep me feeling full. Sargento has a pre-packaged cheese and nut&fruit pack called "Balanced Breaks" that I really enjoy. But remember, regardless of how "healthy" a food is, you still have to log it and consider it in the context of your daily calories. Vegetables and fruit are good, of course, because the fiber and water helps you feel full.

Since this is a regularly scheduled thing, and it sounds like you're going to be spending at least one mealtime out of the house regularly, remember that you can (and should) plan sustaining amounts of food that meets your calories and macros in to your whole day, not just bank on snacks being "healthy." If you eat two "healthy" but high-calorie snacks in class but are still hungry for dinner when you get home, it's easy to wind up going over your goal, because the nutritional value ("healthiness") of a snack is irrelevant to weight loss. What matters is whether it fits in to your goal, calorie-wise.

If you're going to be in class over dinner time, I'd recommend figuring out a portable meal you can bring with you- a sandwich, a protein bar, leftovers from last night's dinner- rather than snacking. But the method that works best for everyone varies- some people like a variety of snacks throughout the day and no big meals. Just make sure you're not doubling up- it's easy to find yourself racking up calories through a large number of "healthy" snacks during a busy day, and still winding up hungry for a meal (out of real hunger or habit) at the end of the day.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Granola bars are my favorite. Healthy and easy to grab on the go.
  • kellyh6130
    kellyh6130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently found a recipe for energy bites on line, delicious, easy to make and very satisfying!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A serving of almonds. I always have a zip lock baggie of them in my purse.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Define healthy.
  • kristengregson43
    kristengregson43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The small cans of tuna are always an easy go to
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, whole fruit, half of a peanut butter sandwich, tuna or chicken packets that tear open
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    All the above plus a Fiber one bar helps fill me up even when I don't have anything else on hand.

• napilibay
    napilibay Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ditto to everything already mentioned, sometimes I take a protein shake too or some low calorie mini muffins (homemade).
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Another tip: reusable snack bags. They rock and make your to go snacks feel adorable and stuff. IDK they make me more likely to take fruit slices and other snacks like that.
  • Brittany_Sources
    Options
    Thanks guys!! All of your advice has been helpful. I've been planning ahead my meals for the week which has been very helpful and the ideas you guys have listed .
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Most of what I was going to suggest are already listed:
    almonds, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, fruit.

For lunch recently I had 320 cal:
    50 calories La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Soft Wraps - Mini - Multi-Bran (these are about 6")
    70 calories Philadelphia - Neufchatel Cream Cheese, 1 oz (which is a LOT... 0.5 oz would be plenty)
    180 calories Buddig - Turkey - Deli Meat, 10 slices
    20 calories Raw Tomato (USDA), 4 oz (grape tomatos, tucked in around the wrap in the box)

Instead of cream cheese, you could use some mustard &/or mayo.
    Or use a different meat, maybe add a slice of cheese. There are thin slices now, which give the flavor without as many calories.
    Quite portable, esp. if you cut the wrap in half. Use toothpicks to hold it together.

Baby carrots & hummus are decently healthy, portable, don't require refrigeration.
    If you can keep things cool, 6oz of lowfat yogurt is 90 cal.
    If you can heat soup, take a can of Progresso's healthy line. Usually under 300 cal per can. I had some pretty
    good chicken gumbo Friday, 220 calories; included pasta, beans, veggies.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Another tip: reusable snack bags. They rock and make your to go snacks feel adorable and stuff.
    +1 on that.
    I went a bit overboard & made 6 sandwich size & 6 snack size in different coordinating black & white prints. :relaxed:
    Helps to know how to sew. :smiley:
    I made them in all cotton, so they're not waterproof, but they're fine for carrots. Wouldn't use for sliced fruit.
    The snack size are fine for an egg, apple, or pear.
    Could line them with water-resistant nylon, or waterproof oilcloth or plastic tablecloth, but if I'm doing something
    gooey I just take a plastic box.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just made some snacks roasted chickpeas w/ spices. I'm divying them up for the week in half cup portions you can eat them on the go and it's protein and filling. The other was super green protein balls 1 or two balls per snack easy to put in the baggie too. Filling as its full of protein and healthy fat.

Snacks I've made-

Olive oil with Kalamata olives and feta
    Tomato and avacado salad w olive oil sprinkles
    Cucumber chopped with cream cheese spread
    Plantain chips/ kale chips
    Cottage cheese w salsa ( very filling add avacado)
    Lunch meat Rollie's on cheese stick
    Apples n pb ( any butter will do)
    Bananas and blueberries w macadamia sprinkles
    Coconut chips ( unsweetened)
    Smoothie
    Nut bar
    Chobani tube yogurts
    Plain yogurt unsweetened w fruit of your choice
    Yogurt w muesli or oatmeal
    Cantaloupe a whole one very filling
    Nuts/ seeds
  • trumpetsarecool
    trumpetsarecool Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Skinny pop popcorn is really good, a smoothie, gluten free pretzels and hummus, Cliff bars, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, or chia seed pudding are some of my go to choices!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Almond, walnuts. Cashews, Luna bars, Cliff bars, organic trail mix, organic dried fruit, and now they have really cool snack packs that are healthy and organic near the lunchables at the grocery store and don't forget Tera's organic ready to drink protein shakes that you can toss in your Back Pack.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Many here seem to consider granola bars as healthy. Granted, they're a bit better than a snickers or a mars but they're still loaded with sugar and processed carbs...
  • SnowyOwl80
    SnowyOwl80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nuts, cheese sticks, hard boiled egg, yogurt is what I keep on hand. I do agree with asyouseefit, granola bars are better then a candy bar but they can be full of sugar and carbs.