Snacks Before Bed

Options
I know I'm not the only one who is basically starving before bedtime. I drink loads of water to try to satiate myself but as soon as I crawl into bed, my stomach growls. What are some relatively low calorie foods that won't hurt me that I can eat around 11 pm to feel full? Right now I've been sticking with a hard boiled egg but other options would be great. Thank you!

Replies

• angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i eat a fried or scrambled egg. it helps a lot.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    or i just ignore it and go to sleep. i for some reason wake up feeling more satiated in the morning.
  • trumpetsarecool
    trumpetsarecool Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Haha I do too! I have a hard time ignoring the hungry feeling sometimes.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar every night before bed, usually a quest bar. I have a sweet tooth, and the protein keeps me satisfied.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A few grapes or another fruit or some air-popped popcorn, perhaps?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take one tablespoon Coconut oil. :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just leave yourself a 100-200 cal allowance at the end of the day for last minute snacks... Or move your dinner to a later time.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    A spoonful of peanut butter with a glass of milk is probably my favorite bedtime snack.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I second the spoonful of peanut butter-- just enough to get that edge off.
  • sstrauss0127
    sstrauss0127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One trick I found was to eat a serving of Low Fast Cottage Cheese with Paprika prior to bed. The proteins in cottage cheese take longer for the body to breakdown and the paprika adds spice which also boosts your metabolism. With this combination I found my metabolism never shut off and when I woke up and ate breakfast I was immediately getting energy from it.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I found these peanut butter bites by Skippy at Target one day and picked up a container. One serving is 10 pieces, so I keep them next to my bed, and on those nights I feel like I'm starving, I pour out ten of them, and enjoy them slowly. They really satisfy my craving, and I keep them in the drawer next to my bed so I'm not tempted to go out into the kitchen and binge on everything in the pantry.
    http://www.peanutbutter.com/product.php?id=16
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    or i just ignore it and go to sleep. i for some reason wake up feeling more satiated in the morning.

Me too. What I find wierd is if I eat my last meal at 5-6 and go to bed at 10, I may be a little hungry but when I wake up I'm not. BUT if I eat right before bed, when I wake up I'm starving.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I found these peanut butter bites by Skippy at Target one day and picked up a container. One serving is 10 pieces, so I keep them next to my bed, and on those nights I feel like I'm starving, I pour out ten of them, and enjoy them slowly. They really satisfy my craving, and I keep them in the drawer next to my bed so I'm not tempted to go out into the kitchen and binge on everything in the pantry.
    http://www.peanutbutter.com/product.php?id=16

Neat product! My son would love these! Thanks for sharing!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by
    foods that won't hurt me

Hurt you in what way? Do you have acid reflux, or are you diabetic, or have some other condition?

Also: Trumpets ARE cool. :+1:
  • trumpetsarecool
    Options
    One trick I found was to eat a serving of Low Fast Cottage Cheese with Paprika prior to bed. The proteins in cottage cheese take longer for the body to breakdown and the paprika adds spice which also boosts your metabolism. With this combination I found my metabolism never shut off and when I woke up and ate breakfast I was immediately getting energy from it.

That's a great idea! I'll definitely try that!
  • trumpetsarecool
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    What do you mean by
    foods that won't hurt me

Hurt you in what way? Do you have acid reflux, or are you diabetic, or have some other condition?

Haha that they are! I mean foods that are low in fat/calories that won't be too heavy that late at night, if that makes sense.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Your metabolism never slows down or "shuts off" unless you're dead. In which case you have much bigger issues than what you're going to eat for breakfast the next morning.

All the garbage about "jump starting", "kick starting", "revving up" your metabolism are woo. Your body works 24 hours a day. There are a lot of repair/recovery processes that go on while you sleep, and that's also when the largest percentage of fat is burned. Your body doesn't go to sleep and quit working when you do. Your metabolism is quite active through the night, regardless of what you eat (or don't eat) before you go to bed.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Your metabolism never slows down or "shuts off" unless you're dead. In which case you have much bigger issues than what you're going to eat for breakfast the next morning.

All the garbage about "jump starting", "kick starting", "revving up" your metabolism are woo. Your body works 24 hours a day. There are a lot of repair/recovery processes that go on while you sleep, and that's also when the largest percentage of fat is burned. Your body doesn't go to sleep and quit working when you do. Your metabolism is quite active through the night, regardless of what you eat (or don't eat) before you go to bed.

Yeahp.
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I totally second the cottage cheese. I eat mine with a bit of fresh berries. I just find that its relatively low cal, fits into my macros, and leaves me satisfied enough to go to sleep (I can't sleep when my stomach is growling).
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    What do you mean by
    foods that won't hurt me

Haha that they are! I mean foods that are low in fat/calories that won't be too heavy that late at night, if that makes sense.

Got it. I tend to eat heavily at night, with plenty of fat and calories, so I'm not sure what I can offer.