AIR POPPED POPCORN CALORIES

Options
QUESTION: I make my own air popped popcorn by popping kernels in an air popper machine. I do not add any oil/butter/etc. When logging calories, do I count how many cups I eat after the popcorn has popped OR do I count how many cups of unpopped kernels I add to the machine....?!

Replies

• elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    what does the nutritional label say? go by that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I count the calories for the kernels I add to the machine.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Popped
  • VeggieMelissa
    VeggieMelissa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Seeeeeeee..... mixed opinions here!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because popcorn math was created by the devil. Most ridiculous confusing thing ever. Try reading a microwave popcorn label - the devil himself wrote it.
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I go by cups of air popped popcorn. 1 cup is about 31 calories. Stuffing a measuring cup full of popcorn isn't exactly scientifically accurate but it's a good ball park estimate.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pop corn is confusing. Do your best
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It depends on the corn and how large the kernel tends to pop. I personally play it safe and weigh the unpopped kernels before popping and use that for the calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the unpopped kernels (I assume) so go by the calories for the popped corn.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    You don't eat the unpopped kernels (I assume) so go by the calories for the popped corn.

You do eat most of them once they pop. The few kernels left in the bottom of the bag are not worth fretting about, but if you want to be even more accurate you can just subtract their weight from the original weight.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Weigh either the unpopped kernels or the air popped and go by the usda entry.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I weigh the kernels prior to popping. According to my jar of Orville Redenbacher's Original, 40 grams of unpopped kernels has 120 calories. Certainly there are always a few that don't pop, but it's insignificant. To me weighing the kernels prior to popping is likely much more accurate than attempting to measure something as fluffy as popcorn.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I weigh the kernels prior to popping. According to my jar of Orville Redenbacher's Original, 40 grams of unpopped kernels has 120 calories. Certainly there are always a few that don't pop, but it's insignificant. To me weighing the kernels prior to popping is likely much more accurate than attempting to measure something as fluffy as popcorn.
    Makes sense. Have been seeing this question & various answers for years.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i dont eat popcorn, but if i did, i would use a measuring cup after its popped. I find it hard to believe that any weight difference would be significant.....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to measure the amount as unpopped kernels and the brand I use, Jollytime, provides the data for unpopped right on the label so it works out well.

Their website shows data for both popped & unpopped
    http://www.jollytime.com/popcorn-products/kernels/yellow-unpopped-kernels
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Unpopped - the brand I use is 3 tbsp of unpopped kernels (or equivalent weight) are equal to 150 calories once popped.