No Support At Home

Options
I just graduated from college and now live with a few roommates. They all eat unhealthy and drink often (myself included). I'm just tired of feeling unhappy with my weight and I want to make a big change but my goals aren't taken seriously by my roommates and friends. I think that making a few friends on the same tough journey that I'm on would really help keep me in check. I'd love to be someone else's motivation and share in their success as well!!!

Replies

• Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the photo?

It is really hard when you are surrounded by un-supportive people. So Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Your online support network!!

If you want a friend, please add me and we can chat!

I am currently working on my fitness and well being. As a by-product my shape is changing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's not their journey. So asking them to "help" puts them in the position of catering to your eating. It's your challenge and not theirs so YOU have to be diligent and disciplined. Unfortunately, not everyone is on board for self improvement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Well, roommates need to have boundaries. Do they respect your food when you buy it, or do they eat it? If they respect you having your own food, I don't exactly see the issue... Can then cook for yourself, etc. Just gotta have the willpower to deny their food.
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I changed how I ate and drank, and then systematically lost several "friends" who seemed to only want me in their lives in order to support their partying choices. Some dumped me rather nastily. One of them was my husband. I was deeply hurt at the time. But making new friends where I started working out, finding good support in my community and online with like-minded people helped a lot with staying on track.

I still struggle with family who on the one side of their mouth pressure me to eat all sorts of things I can't (due to health reasons), and on the other side tell me how fat and unhealthy I look. My mother, who is 86 and has dementia (but not so advanced that she can't keep herself from being judgmental and bigoted), even quizzed me recently about regaining weight. I told her I weighed exactly the same as when she saw me last, and she said, "Are you sure? I just don't believe your lies anymore." And she wonders why I don't go and see her more than once every other month.

I have had to learn to be a 'party animal' with very modified food and drink. I know, after a lifetime of partying experience, that the moment I have a cocktail, I make terrible food choices. So I keep to drinking club soda with lemon or lime, and I eat foods that are more in line with my dietary choices (I'm a type 2 diabetic with food sensitivities). I'm not perfect, and cave occasionally, when I'm with the 'wrong' crowd. But my best friends are very supportive. And if I'm struggling with someone who seems to need me to eat/drink along with them, I start my very long and boring discussion about my diet restrictions and choices. And NOBODY wants to hear that! So they eventually stopped asking me to join them. I don't feel left out, because the people who are most important to me and understand my goals don't ever make me feel that way.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's not their journey. So asking them to "help" puts them in the position of catering to your eating. It's your challenge and not theirs so YOU have to be diligent and disciplined. Unfortunately, not everyone is on board for self improvement.

Have to agree. The only help these people owe you is paying their portion of the rent on Time and hopefully not being douchey roommates
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Nobody that knows me supports my goals. I'm doing it anyway. Feck'em hahaha. :wink:
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of support you would expect from your roommates? Unless they are being outright verbally mean or doing some sort of bad action (e.g. eating your food), what do you want from them? Should they stop eating and drinking what they want because you've decided to get healthy? I've never asked my live-in partner to make any modifications to his food choices because of my desires to lose weight. Why should they?

As to the second part, it is a smart move to come to MFP. You'll find lots of like-minded people here :-)

Good luck.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Nobody that knows me supports my goals. I'm doing it anyway. Feck'em hahaha. :wink:
    Omg I was just thinking this! Haha.

I honestly think if a bunch of people were setting out to get in the way of my goals and derail my progress, I would literally think of it as a challenge! I'm stubborn like that. If anyone ever tells me I can't or will never do something omg...I'm so motivated to prove them wrong it's insane. "Challenge accepted mofo's!" :wink:
  • Bshankari917
    Bshankari917 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    mheath245 wrote: »
    I just graduated from college and now live with a few roommates. They all eat unhealthy and drink often (myself included). I'm just tired of feeling unhappy with my weight and I want to make a big change but my goals aren't taken seriously by my roommates and friends. I think that making a few friends on the same tough journey that I'm on would really help keep me in check. I'd love to be someone else's motivation and share in their success as well!!!

Any one in life come in your way only when they need of you , all friends are not our best one. if you are strong and positive you can get motivate yourselves . We all with you to motivate chill..
  • Rodolfo69
    Rodolfo69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Same here none of my friends like working out or my wife.... So you have my support.