Help me to buy a new (women`s) bike

Options
I started to bike to work a few weeks ago and i am loving it. The only problem is I hate my bike. I bought this bike 3 yrs ago because my hubby pushed me into this one. It is a man`s bike and slightly too high for me, even when the seat at the lowest setting. Hubby said I should buy a man`s bike , so he could ride it too.
Well he rode it twice in 3 yrs and he said biking is too hard. Grrr.
Anyway, I love biking , for me that is the most enjoyable way to get exercise. After a big argument today I am allowed to buy a new bike for myself, yay!

I want a women`s bike, with low middle frame, so I may ride it in a skort too. I also want to put a child carrier seat , so i can take my toddler to the daycare with my bike. Right now, I drive my son to the daycare, drive home, drop the car off, take my bike and bike to work. since the daycare is on my way to work, it would be faster, and more logical, to take him with me on the bike.

However , I do not want to have one of those heavy comfort bike with a single speed . I want a lightweight normal mountain bike or hybrid bike with at least 18 (preferably 21 or 24) speed. I can not afford thousands of dollar, but maybe $400, but if I can something great for $200 that would be awesome.

So please suggest me one!

Replies

• missana221
    missana221 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I knowi it might sound crazy but just check walmart! I found one at my walmart for $100 and it has speeds up there in that range and it is lightweight! :)
  • BeagleHQ
    BeagleHQ Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm no help as I know nothing about bikes, but I'm looking to buy one, as well, and interested in the responses you get. I wish I could bike to work! I'm only 2.5 miles away but I live in a large city and have to go through 1 mile of very narrow and very busy tunnels to get here - too dangerous. :-(
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I wish I could bike to work! I'm only 2.5 miles away but I live in a large city and have to go through 1 mile of very narrow and very busy tunnels to get here - too dangerous. :-(
    I know I am very lucky this way. I live a relatively big (1 mil) city, but the city just finished this bike path next to our house. My work is 10 km
    ( approx 6 miles) awya, so it is just the perfect distance, not super long, but gives me my cardio.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I still looking for some help. anyone?
    I visited a bike shop today and they totally confused me about size. I am 5'8" with 31" inseam, and all I read on the internet practically estimates me a 17", 17.5" or 18" frame bike. Well the sales-guy in this specialty bike store kept showing me a 16" frame bike. My current bike is 20" , and I know it is big for me that is partially the reason I want a new one. On the other hand I think I am above average for a women, and 16" seems too small.

Also the guy in the bike store told me that maybe I should consider a so-called comfort bike. I have been told the comfort bikes are easier on the back, and I may able to ride them for an extended period of time.

I want to use this bike to ride to work 6 miles x2 daily , mainly on designated bikecyle paths, I few time I may cut corners on grass / gravel . I also want to use for weekend / and camping recreational use for gravel or dirt road, but I am not a hard core mountain biker, and I won't do like crazy downhill spins on rocks.

So right now, I do not even know what size or what type of bike i should look for. Any expert out there to help me out, please?
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    go to bike shops and test ride a bunch of them.
  • lauryn5381
    Options
    I was looking for a new bike recently and test rode a Giant Cypress. It's a hybrid with a comfort frame on road tires. Think it has the gears you're looking for and goes for about $379 new. Giant Dash looked like a nice bike too but they didn't have my size to try. I've heard some good things about the Specialized Sirrus, and I believe it's in your price range. I ended up getting a used giant fcr3, it's a flat bar road bike that looks similar to the dash or sirrus. I'm wishing I had drop bars already though:( I'd just go to a shop and try as many bikes as you can to see what you like.
  • redheadmommy
    Options
    I wanted to update this topic. after trying out a dozen or more bike , I finally bough one 2 days ago.
    It is a Specialized Myka Sport Ht. It is amazing! It is a last year model , so it was on sale for $429 (original price was $629). It is probably cheaper in the US, but here in Canada prices are a bit higher.
    I am very pleased with my choice. I rode to work yesterday and it was a dream ride. It is amazingly effortless and smooth. The gear shifts like a precision tool. I LOVE it LOVE it and LOVE it.

My commute usually takes me 45 minutes, and it took me only 34. Plus half o the time I was just playing with the gears .

Now I wan to ride it all the time. Unfortunately i could go for a ride because hubby worked and I had to take care my toddler.
    I am seriously considering to by a children bike trailer to tow him behind, and I can hit the road any time.

Any suggestion on the trailer? I do not think I want to spend the money on a Chariot, but I also do not want to buy a cheapo Walmart ones either.
  • powdermnky
    powdermnky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get a great bike for $400!!! I bought a hybrid DiamondBack from ****'s Sporting Goods a few years ago and paid $325 for it. I LOVE it!!!! Still scared to ride on regular roads because of drivers like myself, but I love taking it to the greenway. Happy Bike Shopping!!!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Once you know what size bike fits you best, try Bikesdirect.com they have a good reputation for good bikes at a reasonable price.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have an Instep bike trailer and I love it.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just got mine for my birthday at the beginning of June and so far I'm loving it! It's a Schwinn Suburban that we've added a rack to so I can carry the family cooler. I'm going to get pannier bags of some sort so I can stuff my Taekwondo gear in there and ride to class but I'm still deciding what type I'd like. I bought mine at Sears on sale for $239 (regularly $299). If you click on my profile picture that's me pretending to be surprised at the bike. You will also see that it has a very low bar and is very easy to pass through if you're in a skirt. It has a suspension seat post to absorb a little of the road for me. :)

We went on a three hour bike ride last weekend and I still loved it when we were done. Mine is primarily for paved surfaces, not mountain biking. It's called a "comfort" bike but unlike a cruiser has different gears to aid with the hills and stuff. It is actually very lightweight too. I can lift it easily onto the bike trailer we have. Go sit on a few and see what feels good. Walmart, Kmart, Target, and sporting goods stores like Sports Authority all have quite a few options and you can see what feels good to you.

ETA: I guess I should have finished reading before I posted! :P Glad you found one you're happy with!