Protein shakes good or bad?

Options
Wonder if a protein shake is good or bad for weight loss.

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If it helps you stay in a calorie deficit, it's good. If it doesn't, it's bad.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Neither or both depending on how you want to view it.

Your calorie deficit is what decides if you lose weight or not. Some people find that protein fills them up, however typically food (that needs to be broken down) does a better job than liquids, so chicken breast would be superior to a shake. Protein is good for maintaining muscle, so if you aren't getting enough through food, then a shake can be beneficial.

So, if the shake adds too many calories, then it is bad for weight loss. If it helps you maintain muscle in a deficit, then it is good for weight loss (not the losing part, but the maintaining muscle in a loss part). However, they aren't required as you can easily replace a shake with chicken breast. Shakes are for convenience, nothing more.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good for muscles.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the above posters.

In the 90's a lot of people fell victim to clever marketing around protein shakes, which implied that protein shakes and weight loss went hand in hand.

Now days, the brain washing attempts continue but the marketing is directed at weight lifters wanting to "be like Arnold" lol. Even so, most people these days are smart enough to know that if your diet already has enough protein to meet your body's requirements, the extra just comes out in your pee lol.

As for weight loss, it depends whether a protein shake is helping you meet your daily macros and calories or not. If it's not, it will work against you.
  • SnowyOwl80
    SnowyOwl80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with Nordlead...it just depends on how you look at it. I'm not a big breakfast eater (egg and toast kinda girl) and I can't ever seem to stay full after breakfast, so I started making a shake to take with me to work & it keeps me full so I'm not snacking at my desk, but I only drink it in the morning.

I normally mix 1-2 scoops of Muscle Milk Protein Powder (310 calories for two scoops with 32 grams of protein) with one cup of soy milk, a cup of fruit (strawberries and blueberries) and flax seed (fiber) into a blender with ice. It helps me meet my calories throughout the day and keeps me from snacking on "office junk" that everyone likes to offer. Just be careful of what you add to the shake, like fruit and veggies, as the calories will add up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is hitting an appropriate protein goal important when losing weight? - YES
    Can protein shakes help to do that? - YES

Do you need protein shakes? - NO

It's just food - a convenient, cost and price efficient way to supplement your protein (if you need to supplement at all).
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good if it fits in your calorie and macro goals and helps you meet those goals without being hungry.

Bad if it makes you go over, or if you don't find drinking calories very satisfying and wind up eating more to compensate.

I like them occasionally- Chocolate protein powder with some frozen banana and milk is a pretty good milkshake substitute that feels like a treat to me while still having decent nutritional value, especially since I struggle with getting protein some days, but I still have to make sure I fit it in to my daily calories. And it's easy for a shake to get up in to the hundreds of calories, so if you have them, track what you put in it and don't just assume it's "healthy," which is a meaningless term when it comes to weight loss.

You definitely don't NEED them to lose weight, and it's totally possible to eat them and not lose weight. Just like any food.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I often prefer to eat some grilled chicken, an egg, or even a glass of low fat milk.
    I drink a shake when I'm in a rush.
    If you buy, consider target or walmart and not online.
    Easier to return at stores if you don't like it. 100% guaranteed.
    Don't forget protein bars are also an option you could try first to check taste.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, it's fine.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm always struggling to hit my protein goal (which is a moderate 20% of calories), so I will use protein shakes on occasion, but I tend to go more for the bars -- typically a higher protein to carb ratio.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Deleted. double post.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of knowing what your expectations are with it and making an informed decision. As a meal replacement, I wouldn't recommend it.

Not all protein shakes are high calorie.

There are also different types of protein, so you need to do your homework.

When I was active duty they'd feed us in the chow hall at around 5pm, by 9 to 10 I'd be hungry again and found myself adding weight due to hitting the vending machine right before bed. I purchased some casein protein since it takes longer to absorb and would have a shake instead.
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally I find protein shakes very helpful in hitting my protein macro and managing hunger at night. After dinner I always feel the need for something...more...something sweet. I get hungry again around 8pm.
    Premier Protein - the only shake I drink. It has 30g of protein (!) and only 5 carbs, 160 calories, very little sugar. I have tried several, and this brand gives me the most filling protein (and its not soy based which I like for digestion). They are yummy, tastes like chocolate milk....and when you are craving something sweet (not craving chicken breast! lol) it really helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    judy2323 wrote: »
    Wonder if a protein shake is good or bad for weight loss.

A protein shake is irrelevant to weight loss or weight management in general...it's just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets...nothing more, nothing less. Note that protein shakes really aren't meal replacements...they don't have anything in them other than protein so they would be nutritionally lacking as an actual meal...they are just a protein supplement.
  • chencyd
    chencyd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What does it mean if i get pimples from Proteine shakes?
    Should i blame the brand of the shake (whey delicious)? or is it just that my body cannot process it properly (too much proteine)?