Binge Eating/Sugar Cravings

Options
Im curious to know how everyone manages binge eating & sugar cravings. Im learning how to eat frequently during the day but sometimes I experience a portion of the day where Im not hungry, or I get too busy & forget to eat altogether. Then I get nauseated, grab something quick (and usually unhealthy) and mow it down. 9x's out of 10 its a sugary *kitten* storm. Just wondering how you all cope. Any and all suggestions are helpful.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to eat, set a timer if you need a reminder.
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I try and make sure I'm eating enough. When I was really restricting my calories I would binge at the end of the day and I gained so much weight doing that. I would eat salad and low fat yogurt all day and then mow down two or three doughnuts from the bakery by my work on the way home!! Now I eat frequently, eat proper portions, get enough protein (something I wasn't doing before), and I keep a protein granola bar, babybel cheese, or some nuts with me just in case I get caught somewhere and I'm hungry.
  • mtrgrl
    mtrgrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat a limited diet: fruit, vegetables, meat, nuts and seeds. It was tough the first week or so without sugar and bread but then the cravings subsided. Make sure you always have a healthy snack on hand. I carry an apple and some almonds with me all the time. Once I got used to it, I didn't want the junk anymore because it made me feel like crap.
  • banjosausage
    banjosausage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am struggling to control my binge eating. It's worse when I'm tired and at weekends as I don't have as structured a day as when i'm at work. I'm beginning to feel like I will never get out of this awful habit!
  • ke11ie062
    ke11ie062 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I to am learning that I am more in control of my binge eating when I have frequent small meals. I have been trying this strategy for a month now and it seems to be working. I also eat a little protein at each meal. I try to balance my carbs with protein.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals, make sure I have vegetables, fat and protein with every meal, eat four meals a day, spaced out a few hours apart, and aim to eat all meals and only at meals. I sit down and enjoy my meals. I eat only food I like and have a lot of different food every day and change it up through the week/year. I shop for healthy food and don't buy things I don't want to eat.

I've suffered a lot from disordered eating, overeating bordering on binging, and getting in a good structure has helped me tremendously. My problems stemmed from bad habits and misconceptions, so it was quite easy to fix when I just decided enough was enough; if your problems are rooted in emotional/psychological issues, please seek help from professionals.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Another vote for planning. All my days are planned, except for days I'm traveling. I still eat sugary food, but I no longer overeat it.

When I'm hungry, there's no question as to what I will have - my plan tells me that.
  • RebelHips
    RebelHips Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is an amateur question, but...

how often should I be eating?

Currently, due to my work schedule, I eat super healthy meals at 7:00am and 11:45am and then I go home and stuff myself silly with sugar, fat and carbs. If I eat a healthy meal when I get home (around 4), i'll be hungry again around 7:00 and am not sure what to do with myself then! How should I be spacing my meals so that i'm not binging on junk when I get home, and so that i'm not starving right before bed?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    RebelHips wrote: »

Currently, due to my work schedule, I eat super healthy meals at 7:00am and 11:45am and then I go home and stuff myself silly with sugar, fat and carbs. If I eat a healthy meal when I get home (around 4), i'll be hungry again around 7:00 and am not sure what to do with myself then! How should I be spacing my meals so that i'm not binging on junk when I get home, and so that i'm not starving right before bed?

Can't you just eat at 7, 1145, 4 and 7? Easiest way to not binging on junk, is to not have any junk around.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    RebelHips wrote: »

That's individual. Experiment until you find what works for you and you aren't hungry.

I eat at 6, 12, and 9, sometimes with a snack between the 12 and 9 (depending on exercise schedule). What I found is that once I adjusted to that (the 6 and 9 are based on work schedule), I wasn't really hungry between meals, although if I start snacking during the day I will think I am and have to break myself of the habit. Eating dinner so late means that I never get hungry or want to snack in the evenings. I prefer this 3 meal plan and hate the idea of lots of "mini meals," but others really enjoy eating smaller meals more frequently or aren't really hungry in the morning so put the meals all later.

For me getting in balanced meals (with vegetables and protein, as well as additional carbs and fat) really helps, too. If I don't I'm more likely to crave something higher cal later or between meals. If I skip a meal or get home extra late I may feel like I'm not in the mood for my planned meal but want something easy and high cal, and I've just had to learn that that's being tired or hungry and eating just a little something (like a piece of fruit) or going ahead with my planned meal will make it go away. (And of course it helps to have a planned meal, along with the ingredients needed to cook it in a reasonable time.)

I never really binged, though -- just overate or ate when I shouldn't (as I'd already had plenty of calories).