Question about being under 1000 calories?

Options
I noticed since returning to MFP that if you are under 1000 calories MFP won't log you for the day which i get, it isn't healthy to eat so little nutrition ect ect but since i'm trying to eat healthier of course many fruits and vegetables don't contain many calories and i eat plenty i am full and don't need to eat anymore but can't get past about 900 cals so i put made up stuff in there so i can log.I don't want to do that and it's not everyday but some days i can't make my goal i don't know if i like this change lol Should i just force my self to eat more? :)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no one got fat by eating <1000 calories.

are you weighing and logging all your food? on a scale?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Have a few nuts. Or half of an avocado. Some full-fat yoghurt. Or some cheese.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Because eating 1000 or less per day is unhealthy and completely unnecessary!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Because eating 1000 or less per day is unhealthy and completely unnecessary!
    This.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    These posts frustrate me. We're all mostly here because at some point, we overate enough that we need to make solid changes to fix this bad behavior. If you ate 900 calories routinely, you wouldn't be here trying to lose weight.

Are you getting enough protein? A 3-4 oz portion of meat should give you a 100-300 calories (depending on whether its chicken/fish/beef/pork/turkey), and you should be having protein with each meal to stay full, not just fruits and veggies.

I second using a food scale - you may be surprised with how much you're truly eating.
  • 1956suzyq
    1956suzyq Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think if you are eating less than 1000 calories a day you are not getting enough nutrients and protein. These are all essential for good health. I understand you are eating lots fruits and vegetables but protein and healthy fats are essential for your health.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Abbie918 wrote: »
    These posts frustrate me. We're all mostly here because at some point, we overate enough that we need to make solid changes to fix this bad behavior. If you ate 900 calories routinely, you wouldn't be here trying to lose weight.

Are you getting enough protein? A 3-4 oz portion of meat should give you a 100-300 calories (depending on whether its chicken/fish/beef/pork/turkey), and you should be having protein with each meal to stay full, not just fruits and veggies.

I second using a food scale - you may be surprised with how much you're truly eating.
    I agree 100%. I seriously give the side eye to post like this. Really, you are trying to lose weight but you can't eat 1000 calories? OK

• davoiscool
    davoiscool Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe reduce your fruit and veg intake so you feel like eating more calorific foods, as these are absolutely vital. Nuts and lean meats as identified above are a good choice!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am going to assume that you ate much more than 1000 calories before which led to the weight you are trying to lose now. You say that you are trying to eat healthier. The truth is, if you are eating less than 900 calories, you are not eating healthier. Good for you for wanting to make a change but drastically changing your eating habits and cutting your calories back to that small of an amount is setting yourself up for failure. Eating so little will not help you lose weight. It will make you feel weak and miserable and will lead to giving up. You need proteins and fats to be healthy. You can easily add calories to your daily intake by adding some beneficial fats and just a few high calorie foods. Eat two tablespoons of peanut butter with your apple. Eat full fat yogurt with some slivered almonds. Use full fat butter to cook your vegetables. Eat a hard boiled egg, or two. Use avocados in your salad. Remember that if you are truly trying to be successful, the key is to make changes that you can sustain forever...not just until you drop 10 pounds. Eat the foods you love but eat less of it. Weigh your food and introduce calorie dense food that meet your daily calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    talie244 wrote: »
    I noticed since returning to MFP that if you are under 1000 calories MFP won't log you for the day which i get, it isn't healthy to eat so little nutrition ect ect but since i'm trying to eat healthier of course many fruits and vegetables don't contain many calories and i eat plenty i am full and don't need to eat anymore but can't get past about 900 cals so i put made up stuff in there so i can log.I don't want to do that and it's not everyday but some days i can't make my goal i don't know if i like this change lol Should i just force my self to eat more? :)

You can make your goal. Fruits & vegetables are great, but they don't provide everything you need nutritionally.

Are you meeting protein requirements? This will help you support existing lean muscle. Healthy weight loss is not just about losing pounds......you want the pounds to consist of fat (not muscle).

Dietary fats are another nutritional requirement. One example: there are vitamins in those fruits & vegetables that your body won't absorb without the help of dietary fat.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eat some cheeeeezzz.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are logging everything you consume accurately and choosing correct entries. Use a food scale.
    Change the type of foods you are eating. It isn't very difficult to get 1200 calories.
    Have some hummus with your vegetables. Have a glass of whole milk. Have a sandwich with meat, condiments and cheese. Put dressing on your salad. Eat a banana with peanut butter. Eat a baked potato instead of celery.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    talie244 wrote: »

Yes, you should eat more than 900 calories a day, if you are trying to be healthy and to lose weight. Your body needs vitamins, fiber, carbs, fats, and protein - you can't get all that by just eating salad and fruit. Add nuts, seeds, sprouted grains, avocado if you don't want to eat cooked food.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that have more calories.

Fruits and veggies are fine and all, but what about the other foods? There's like eleventy billion of them.
    Also, satiety has little to do with getting adequate nutrition. There are minimums for a reason.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    a few things, and i apologize but these kind of things make me snarly.
    1. it does let you log...it just doesn't give you the 5 week projection
    2. are you sure you are accuratley counting your calories?
    3. as others have mentioned, eating below the requirement isn't good, and to be honest, its not that hard to meet a 1200 calorie day. seriously.

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you're not meeting your calorie goal for the day, eat a handful of nuts or two. They are very healthy and full of good fats, and delicious. Eating too few calories will backfire for you - it will make you ravenously hungry and overeat eventually. The best strategy in my opinion for sustainability is to eat as many calories as you can while still hitting your loss goal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ashleyylo wrote: »
    a few things, and i apologize but these kind of things make me snarly.
    1. it does let you log...it just doesn't give you the 5 week projection
    2. are you sure you are accuratley counting your calories?
    3. as others have mentioned, eating below the requirement isn't good, and to be honest, its not that hard to meet a 1200 calorie day. seriously.

Edited - I responded to the wrong thread, same type of question.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had a day yesterday when I was so miserable that (for once!) I had no appetite - I forced some Greek yoghurt and a banana down about 8pm and was drinking tea and coffee throughout the day but still only had 750 cals in all. So long as its only a one (or two) days that this goes on for, surely its not the end of the world?!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your body will eat it's own muscle under eating

Less muscle equals burning less calories

Your periods will stop effecting your fertility

As said if your here it's most likely to lose weight so you can eat more life's much to short to starve yourself
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Your body will eat it's own muscle under eating

Less muscle equals burning less calories

Your periods will stop effecting your fertility

As said if your here it's most likely to lose weight so you can eat more life's much to short to starve yourself

Periods are not what determine fertility. Ovulation is. In advanced stages of anorexia or starvation, periods stop. The periods stop because the body has stopped ovulating. Somewhat the same...but not.