I want to go from a size 24 to 16 in 5 months...is this possible?

Options
Hello everyone! I am 28 years old, currently weighing in at 298 pounds and I wear a size 24. I have always been a "big" girl, as I am 5' 10" and weighed no less than 175 in high school. However, I packed on the pounds when I had my son 7 years ago, and I have been a yo-yo dieter since. I want to make a change this time for good. I want to make a lifestyle change. I have been counting my calories, and going to the gym, but I'm not really sure if I am doing what I should to maximize my weight loss. We have a beach trip planned for July, so I'm trying to use that as a concrete goal. I would love to be in at least a size 16 by then. What are some exercises or food rules I should be going by in order to lose that kind of weight in 5 months? Is it even possible?

Replies

• HelloAgainJen
    HelloAgainJen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I am usually a size 16 around 200 lbs. Which would be a lot to accomplish is just 5 months.

I would just stick to tracking you food, trying to stay within a reasonable calorie deficit and get some exercise in. In 5 months your sure to feel better, be more energized, look healthier and be slimmer even if your not a size 16.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I am usually a size 16 around 200 lbs. Which would be a lot to accomplish is just 5 months.

I would just stick to tracking you food, trying to stay within a reasonable calorie deficit and get some exercise in. In 5 months your sure to feel better, be more energized, look healthier and be slimmer even if your not a size 16.

Yep! All of this, everyday. Nice post
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for your decision to start a lifetime change.
    I suggest you buy yourself a food scale, weigh everything you eat and log it at MFP.
    Eating at a deficit ( calories burned higher than calories ingested) will decrease your body weight.
    Read the MFP Most Helpful post at the beginning of this message board.
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Eating at a deficit is to lose body weight.
    I suggest you focus on decreasing your present weight and monitor the weight changes in one app to see the trend ( there are many free apps for Android and iPhone).
    Eat your favorite food in moderation and keep a daily calorie ingested deficit against your daily calorie burned.
    Manage your expectations. Trying to lose X amount of weight in Y months may or may not be realistic. I prefer not to impose myself with those artificial deadlines. You know how long it took you to gain that weight, you are not going to lose it any faster.
    Good luck with your healthy journey
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible. If you lose 1% of your weight per week, the recommended maximum (and that's challenging), that's 2-3 lbs. 20 weeks times 3 lbs. = 60 lbs, 298-60=238 lbs. So even with maximum (safe) losses I think you'd still be a ways from size 16. But I'm not 5'10", so I don't know that for sure.

But do go for the lifestyle change! You will lose size and feel great by July, no matter the clothing label.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Probably not. It took me eleven months to go from a 22 (248 pounds) to a 16 (192-193 pounds). But any weight you lose between now and July, I'm sure will make you feel that much better on vacation!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    hmmm youre a lot taller than I am, so that can make a big difference.

it really depends on how you carry your weight and how and where it decides to come off.

i did not focus on a size or a time limit. I started at a 22/24 last january and am today a 12. it comes off my lower half MUCH slower.

make lifestyle changes. learn to properly weigh and log your food. start an exercise program (for health, not for weight loss). Learn the ins and outs of weight loss and improving your overall health. You will likely NOT be the size you want to be when you want to be it, but by making smaller, more sustainable changes, you will DEFINITELY feel and yes, even look better by this summer.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and can fit into most things that are a size 16 and I'm 215 lbs. I was wearing a size 18 even at my highest weight, 237. So, you might be able to get close to a size 16 by your trip but don't be too disappointed if you don't reach that goal. You say you really want to change your lifestyle so focus on that!
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't think it is possible. That is a lot. If you did, it would probably be an unhealthy weight loss. You probably will do better to have a weight loss goal as opposed to size.

Take your measurements and weight. This is your starting weight. Also, take photos of before, so as you go along, you will see the small changes. This has kept me motivated. I have lost over 60 pounds and 11 inches off my waist. This did not happen overnight. It has taken a year and a half. It was slow weight loss; however, I look great. I have no sagging skin, I don't look sick. I have gone from a size 18 to a size 4. So, it can be done.

I think 25 pounds is probably a reasonable goal. Make sure you are eating all of your meals, drinking all of your water, eating at least 5 fruits and veggies daily, eating lean protein with every meal, taking a multi vitamin, and doing at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, consistently journaling, and it will come off. There are really no real tricks to healthy weight loss. Keep your focus. It can happen for you.

Also, if all else fails, join Weight Watchers. It worked for me. I needed accountability because I don't have good sense. I knew what to do, but for some reason, I needed someone looking at the scale with me. Besides, I get great tips and support from the members. It only cost $45 a month, and I was spending that on fast food alone.

Good luck.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and started at 324 in August and am now 259--65 pounds lost. I was a size 24 or 26 and am now probably a 20. I imagine what size you might fit into would depend greatly on how you carry your weight (I am very pear shaped).

No food rules except eating less than you burn, and being as exact with your calculations as possible (that means get a scale and weigh your food to the gram). There's no magic pill/food/exercise that will 'maximize' the process.

If you want to make a lifestyle change, then you have no deadline. Don't set yourself up for failure by fixating on a single moment in time. Just start, and then don't stop.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea how possible it is. But if the trip is motivating you to make positive changes, then that's good.

Since you're looking at a size more than a number on the scale, I will suggest that you add weight lifting into your exercise routine right away. Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women (a book) or Starting Strength 5x5 (available on the web and as an app). By following a good program, you will retain muscle mass as you drop pounds, which will allow you to look better (slimmer) at a higher weight. This has the best chances of you getting close to your goals.

Either way, keep working towards it. You'll be healthier and have more energy when you go on your trip, and be able to enjoy it more, even if you don't quite reach the size you want by then. And you can continue on after that and celebrate more victories as you go.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The information everyone has already said is great. Don't give yourself really tough timed goals because you're more likely, if you're like me, to feel frustrated when you don't reach them and give up. I've also found the more unattainable the goal, the harder I have to work, which makes the lifestyle very hard to maintain. Eat at a deficit, realize you'll have bad days, and get some exercise in. You'll learn a ton from these forums.

That said, everyone loses weight differently. If it comes off in the right places, that goal could happen, but it's unlikely. I've found the .5 lbs per week for every 25 pounds you're overweight to be a really good, maintainable goal. So, if you've got 50 to lose, focus on 1 lb per week. Remember that weight loss isn't linear. You'll see 4 lbs one week and a 2 lb gain the next. Give it time, it's so worth it.
  • CasseyBee
    CasseyBee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    all the above. However, set small achievable goals weekly that way you can break down the bigger picture and its not so overwhelming. For example, my ultimate goal is to lose 100lbs by July yet I started my journey in May 2015. I make small goals each week and weigh in on Sunday mornings. This week my goal is to lose 3lbs by sunday. This keeps me on track. Use MFP to track your food and exercise.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's that realistic. Not to say not achievable. But as they say weightloss is not linear. Some weeks you lose some weeks nothing, or for weeks nothing.

For example my story: my first six months initially I lost 8 lbs and lost nothing for 6 months! But after revamping my diet ( I thought was healthy) and portions and started weight my food I started to lose. I started at a 22. In 6 months I lost around 30 lbs and now I'm in a 14/16. Almost to 200 now and started at 234. I'm 5'4.

If you are seriously dedicated and can stick to your calories, and exercise daily it may be achieved. But realize stuff happens and you won't always be able to do either. You may have binges ( if you have that issue I do) and it can set you back.

But as long as you keep trying and don't quit you will get there! Good luck on your journey.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and can wear a comfortable size 16 at around 16 stone (224) without too many problems. That would give you a 74lb weight loss in 5 months so probably not. I started at 264.6 on Jan 4th and have now lost 23.4lbs already, I think big girls do tend to drop a fair amount of weight quite quickly at the beginning. I'm eating 1500-1600 cals a day and not eating back my exercise calories so I'm not starving myself either. I have lost significant weight once before and found it relatively easy to lose 3lbs a week down to around the 224 mark when it started to drop off. All I can say, after all that, is give it a go! Even if you haven't made it to a size 16 by then you'll be smaller and happier with your weight than you are now! Good luck!
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think it would be hard to say because how weight comes off your body and effects your measurements is different from someone else's body. I think you could realistically lose 20-40 lbs in 5 months but I don't know how that would change your clothing size or body shape. Clothing size is just a number that changes by brand anyway.
    I lost 25 lbs and 5" off my waist but only 2" off my hips and bust. My thighs and calves haven't changed size much at all. I really wasn't needing new clothes until around 20 lb loss.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's great to have such a motivating goal. But I find that when I put too ambitious goals in front of myself, I am more likely to fail. Instead, having the attitude that it takes what it takes and as long as it takes keeps me going and empowered. So make an ambitious plan for yourself in terms of actions: keep a reasonable deficit, track all your food, work out 3-4 times a weel and you will see results but do not set your goal in terms of weight/size lost.

So I don't really agree w the "wisdom" so popular these days on MFP that exercise doesn't matter for weight loss. First of all, if you live in a deficit even 200-300 extra calories could mean a small difference in how your level of satiety or you can create your targeted deficit with less restriction on your food intake. And for some people, psychologically, this is important. Also, in your case, since your target is a size and not weight lost, definitely do resistance training, HIIT, compound moves. Try the free channel of fitness blender or the phone app Nike Training Club. I saw fast changes in my pants size using this latter 3 times a week starting w 30 workouts and moving up to 45. I went from size 18 to 14 in a few months...

Good luck.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    IME plus sizes are roughly 20 -25 pounds per size, regular sizes more like 10 pounds a size. Based on that I would guess it would take an 80 pound weight loss for you to get into a size 16.

With a higher starting weight you can probably do better than 2 pounds a week, but 80 in 20 weeks or so would be quite extreme and generally unlikely.

You should absolutely still get started and lose as best you can. At 2.5 pounds average a week you could lose 50 pounds and you will surely feel much better.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yep! All of this, everyday. Nice post

Yes, this.

Do what you can, enjoy your beach trip and then continue on after you get back.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My opinion- Aim for a more attainable goal, like 50lbs. That would be a fantastic (and workable) accomplishment. I think it would be exciting to say "I've loss 50lbs in 5 months". That's huge, even if it's not a size 16...which is different for every woman, but 50lbs is 50lbs! Good luck!