I Need Help!!!

Options
Hi, I need help with finding what's good to eat, with out getting bored.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat what you normally eat but less of it. Moderation is key
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you like, as long as you're eating in a deficit:

Pizza
    Nachos
    McDonalds
    Ham sandwiches
    Fruit Salad
    Steak
    Chicken Wings
    etc etc etc
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There's two ways to look at this: if you're just eating to lose weight then basically eat whatever you want so long as you're consuming less than you burn.

If you're looking for nutritional value (IE enough protein, carbs, fat, etc) then it will require more research and diligence on your end.

So it really depends on what you want - but the short answer is that if you just want to lose weight eat whatever you want, just in smaller amounts/portions.
  • Enriky
    Enriky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try the dash diet. you can eat almost everything but you will control the sugar, fat and sodium. If you like to cook this is perfect and you like to exercise you will lose weight and you will be in health.
    check this link
    http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/cardiologists-guide-to-a-healthy-heart
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a variety of recipes Skinnytaste.com is a good place to start.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat a variety of foods that you like from every food group.
  • ruminantia
    ruminantia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    6listerm wrote: »
    Hi, I need help with finding what's good to eat, with out getting bored.

Hi 6Listerm, it looks like you will find a huge disparity of opinions here and people you know around you. I think it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What's more important to you? Short term enjoyment of eating Standard American foods every day, or a long term healthier You?

Personally, I think most people would be healthier by eliminating most processed foods and eating whole, nutrient dense fresh foods for the vast majority of their intake. I have found some online holistic nutritionists whose teachings make a lot of sense to me and this is how I am developing my own regimen for optimal health. There are some out there that I don't agree with (not right for me such as Veganism-- I, personally, need a little animal protein). (Be careful-- there is a lot of bogus info out there, too).

In general, I lean towards less red meat for my own health, and way less processed meats because they usually include a lot of unhealthy additives that I want to avoid.

I am working on eating AT LEAST a pound of as many colors of nutrient veggies per day, some raw, some cooked. Some SuperGreens, kale, spinach, beets, carrots, avocado including the pit, and sometimes coconut milk, etc. in a high powered blender included as part of the ingredients of my smoothies for one meal. This is part of a 21 Day Detox that I am working through, but I plan to continue with this.

I have removed as much of the unhealthy fats as possible. This is not to say I go low fat (I think that is unhealty-- just use the right fats!) I use unrefined coconut oil or ghee for cooking, and EVOO for a finishing oil and for salad dressings, etc. I also use real organic butter-- never margarine or fake butter of any kind. I am eating a lot of avocados-- I get in 1/2 to one a day as often as possible... again including the pit if in a smoothie.

I will still enjoy the occasional splurge without guilt, but do so less often than I used to, and smaller portions.

Still working on this, but I am a lot closer than I used to be. It does take being mindful... do some research so that you can make informed decisions. Recently I have found it extremely helpful to track everything I eat here on My Fitness Pal! Do it after every meal so that you don't forget. Weigh portions until you are a good judge of your portion sizes.

As far as not getting bored with your food-- first after doing some reading, begin to collect some recipes that stay within the guidelines that you have chosen for yourself. It will take some time, but eventually you will have a collection of healthy meals that you can cycle through. I like to focus on keeping it simple myself-- focusing on including foods that have the nutrition that I need, without a whole lot of different ingredients and steps. Now and then, I will make something that takes more ingredients and effort, but not too often. Simplicity and high nutrition are my personal goals.

In conclusion: read widely and often, and you will figure out what makes good sense and over time, and trial and error, you will find what works for you and your health! Keep at it and don't give up. :-)

All the best to you!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree about Skinnytaste.com, and you might also try EatThisMuch.com. I also agree with the approach of eating whatever normally strikes your fancy, but less of it. What has worked for me is to keep the same variety of food on my plate, but decrease the portions of the rich dishes and increase the portions of the others. So I eat meat, but rarely more than 4 oz. at a time instead of a vast great slab of steak or 2-3 pieces of chicken, as I used to. I might have 1/2 cup or at most 1 cup of a rich entree or a grain (rice, pasta, etc.), flanked by 1 cup each of several other things like veg, and lots of salad with a small amount of oily dressing. For breakfast I used to eat 2 eggs and 2 rashers of bacon. Now I eat one of each, with equal enjoyment. There are very few things I've cut out entirely. It's true I'm drinking about 10% of the wine and booze I used to: I can work it in if I want, but it costs me calories I'd rather allocate to, say, another avocado.