Too flexible for Squats - need help

Options
Hey everyone,

I just started on this heavy lifting scene about a month ago and I’m loving it. I’m in a beginners program (5x5) and on a calorie deficit in order to lose some weight while I gain some strength and proper form and I’m starting to see some results, which is great!

The problem is my flexibility. Apparently I am too flexible. I can easily Squat “*kitten* to grass” but that has been causing some issues with my groin muscles. I started to feel pain and becoming really unbearable and was told by a Trainer at the gym that I shouldn’t go that down, and told me some exercises to make my groin muscles a bit stronger.

Is there anyone with this problem? If so, how do you deal with it? Any tips?
I was so proud of going all the way down, I’m afraid the gains won’t be as good..

(P.S. I’m still overweight 1.69m and 77Kg of weight. My max in Squat is 45Kg - like I said, I’m a beginner. 5.54 feet; 169.7 lbs; 99 lbs
Could it be because I’m still overweight and not that strong?)

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You may be hypermobile. Here is an article

http://www.medicinenet.com/hypermobility_syndrome/article.htm

You may want to talk to a physical therapist and have him/her check you mobility.

Good luck.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If the issue is going too deep, then lower the weight and learn to control the weight on the way down. Stop a tiny bit past parallel and stand back up.

I can squat all the way down. Doesn't mean I want to when squatting near my max.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    If the issue is going too deep, then lower the weight and learn to control the weight on the way down. Stop a tiny bit past parallel and stand back up.

I can squat all the way down. Doesn't mean I want to when squatting near my max.

Try doing box squats, but don't sit all the way down. Find one that's just high enough that you still go below parallel, and then just kiss your cheeks against it and stand back up. This will help train your muscles how far to go down.

Or it may just be that your body needs to get used to squatting and ALL of the muscles involved in doing that including your groin muscles. There are lots of people that go really deep when they squat.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Try doing box squats, but don't sit all the way down. Find one that's just high enough that you still go below parallel, and then just kiss your cheeks against it and stand back up. This will help train your muscles how far to go down.

Or it may just be that your body needs to get used to squatting and ALL of the muscles involved in doing that including your groin muscles. There are lots of people that go really deep when they squat.

Thank you all for the the replies, this is golden info.
    I’m going to the Physiotherapist tomorrow to test the hyper mobility issue.

I thought about this too, since I’m still a newbie at this and I’m not that strong, and considering my weight. My bf, for instance, goes all the way down but he trained hard on his flexibility in order to do it properly, with me I can do it easily.

When I started (first day) even the barbell alone was to heavy for me and my back would bend backwards. I worked on the smith machine a few times for strength before trying the barbell again. So yeah, this hyper mobility might be the case…

Once again, thank you very much for the tips. I definitely don’t want to stop doing squats, just need to adapt :)
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    If the regular barbell is too much, don't do the smith machine. There are much better alternatives. You can just use dumbbells and do goblet squats, use lighter bars, hold weights in each hand and squat that way...The smith machine is going to take away those stabilizer muscles that you need to build up especially as a beginner.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just because you can squat that far doesn't mean you have to. I can drink 10 beers in one sitting and not barf... Doesn't mean I do it.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    If the regular barbell is too much, don't do the smith machine. There are much better alternatives. You can just use dumbbells and do goblet squats, use lighter bars, hold weights in each hand and squat that way...The smith machine is going to take away those stabilizer muscles that you need to build up especially as a beginner.

This was only in the beginning when I started (first days). I did smith machine and dumbbells like you said but as soon as I could lift the barbell I ditched the smith machine.

From you guys feedback I might need to deload (not that I was doing that much, but still…) and stop before going all the way down. I will do that as soon as my groins feel better :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends, @Iron_Miss_Canada is a world class powerlifter and has hyperflexibility. She could explain it better but from what I understand she has to be very careful with her form.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Glad you're going to the doc to check it out. My knees hyperflex, and I didn't know that forever, and I now really wish I had taken more care with certain things decades ago. Take good care of yourself!
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Ditto, if I'm not focussed I end up basically sat down which disengages the muscles I'm trying to work. It's much easier to fix it with lighter weights to get used to where to stop.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You're going to make me blush David! @Wheelhouse15 ! Yes, I'm hypermobile through my ligaments - my tendons are normal. Definitely working with a Physio is a fantastic idea to make sure that you are working with an appropriate plan.

For me, stretching is out with very few exceptions. The tight axis of my lower cross gets stretched - hip flexors and hamstrings. And my back. Because I'm a bencher and being able to set my arch perfectly is important to me. And worth the stabilization work that follows
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You're going to make me blush David! @Wheelhouse15 ! Yes, I'm hypermobile through my ligaments - my tendons are normal. Definitely working with a Physio is a fantastic idea to make sure that you are working with an appropriate plan.

For me, stretching is out with very few exceptions. The tight axis of my lower cross gets stretched - hip flexors and hamstrings. And my back. Because I'm a bencher and being able to set my arch perfectly is important to me. And worth the stabilization work that follows

I'm glad to hear that your pelvis isn't giving you so many issues now as well! :)