Tired of water

Options
jakeziskin1
jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Water is upsetting me. I know hat may sound silly but I'm upset. I goto the gym Monday through Sunday. Watch what I eat, alway stay under my calories and if I went over one day I was under the next. In fact I'm always under due to losing calories at the gym. So why is it one day I'm 191 then today back to 198. I'm getting upset and I am fighting to be in the 180s and this is just not working

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    While water weight could be part of the problem, if you are not losing weight over the course of several weeks, it a calorie problem, not a water problem. I know you say you always come under calories, but you may not be counting accurately, or you are burning less calories than you think from activity. Both are extreme common occurrences. Are you weighing your food on a food scale or using things like cups and spoons to measure? Solid food must be weighed, not measured like a liquid. Making your diary public could allow for people to look for logging inconsistencies. This thread gives a step by step guide to logging and tracking: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101

As far as calories burned, if you are eating back some or all of your exercise calories, try eating back less. How many calories total are you eating?
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    I have a scale, weigh accordingly, track all foods and besides chicken or beef all my foods are branded and listed as foods for this app. I watch what I eat and exercise every single day at the gym. Even today and tomorrow before the game il be there working out exercising jogging swimming lifting lite and a lot of sauna. So why after all this is water making me gain 5-7 pounds in a week.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    While water weight could be part of the problem, if you are not losing weight over the course of several weeks, it a calorie problem, not a water problem. I know you say you always come under calories, but you may not be counting accurately, or you are burning less calories than you think from activity. Both are extreme common occurrences. Are you weighing your food on a food scale or using things like cups and spoons to measure? Solid food must be weighed, not measured like a liquid. Making your diary public could allow for people to look for logging inconsistencies. This thread gives a step by step guide to logging and tracking: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101

As far as calories burned, if you are eating back some or all of your exercise calories, try eating back less. How many calories total are you eating?

I weight food with a scale or buy it weighed out. For instance if I want chicken I get one loud packets along with steak. Other than that the foods I eat are
    isopure zero carb protien shakes
    Tuna
    Birds eye green Giant veggies because they are already weighed and calories are low.
    Cereal measured by cups and cups of milk.
    No pasta, no ice cram, no bread, no cookies no candy. I could honestly list you everythjng I had this week. I even include the alcohol I sometimes drink like a shot of vodka. Never beer.and never more than a few shots at most a week.

I eat Anywere from sometimes 1000-1800 calories a day. And every time I work out I burn at least 350-500 calories from olyptical and I usually Monday through Friday go two times and burn up to 1000. Some days I burn more then I eat.
  • KillerKel01
    KillerKel01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is my first time trying this type of internet site. I'm asking for everyone's patients with my postings. As I read "Jakeziskin1" I notice that the protein shakes taken in are possibly filled with sodium, which retains water, and I understand protein shakes help pack the pounds on a person. There are a lot of unnatural ingredients in them also, and our bodies do not know what to do with unnatural ingredients. My best advise is to never eat "fake" ingredients like aspartame or cancer catalysts. Alcohol is empty calories but are calories and will add weight. The time of day one eats is important. A regular, and steady intake is imperative to body homeostasis. For example, eat each meal and each snack with in approx. the same 1 to 1.5 hours every day (E.g. breakfast every day between 7am to 8:30 am, Lunch between noon and 1:30 Pm, Dinner between 6 pm and 7:30 Pm, with healthy snacks between). Our body will "store" weight if we are working it too hard. Our body will try not to starve and if we put our body under stress it will survive off itself and "retain" water to live longer. This is what happens when we don't eat at the right times, or the right amount, or the right foods. My opinion is, the best thing for our bodies is to eat as close to natural (organic) as possible and the proper serving sizes. Weighing oneself every day is not good either. Once a week, same time, same cloths, same routine should give one the most satisfactory result. Start simple. Trying to use shakes and special foods are often too complex for any person unless they are planning to eat that "brand" continuously or forever. Honestly, again only an opinion worth as much as you paid for it, but forget all the "special" drinks/foods and get back to the basics of balanced meals, correct portion size for your gender/age/weight goals/health diagnoses. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to help.
  • brianazo
    brianazo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat Anywere from sometimes 1000-1800 calories a day. And every time I work out I burn at least 350-500 calories from olyptical and I usually Monday through Friday go two times and burn up to 1000. Some days I burn more then I eat.

If this is true, then you should be losing weight. If you aren't, you're eating more than you think you are or burning less.

Generally over the course of a day, I run 2 1/4 miles, do 30 minutes elliptical, and lift for about 90 minutes. I'm in the gym 2-3 hours a day and I burn about a thousand calories through exercise. I'm also around 16% body fat and I've been doing this for a while. If I eat any less than 3000 calories a day, I lose weight precipitously.

If you're serious about losing weight and getting enough nutrition to lead an active lifestyle, you should not be eating beef, and you should not be drinking milk. I'm not sure why you're drinking whey, but it's completely unnecessary. You should be getting your protein through food. Think 2x protein Greek yogurt, chicken, and fish, and then only enough to get you up to your calorie goals. These should be cooked wet method with water or steam only, if not grilled / roasted. No skin on the chicken. Don't put butter on your vegetables. Not even "zero calorie" butter spray. Don't put any oil on your salad, vinegar only. Use splenda instead of sugar.

And be really, really honest with your calorie counter. My weight fluctuates +/- 4-6lbs throughout the day because muscle glycogen requires water, and if I hydrate and then go through a glycogen-depleting workout, plus sweat, my weight can be all over the place, but when I get on the scale the next day, it's always down close to a baseline, and this is maintained over a week.

So, honestly, you're probably eating more calories than you think you are.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As I read "Jakeziskin1" I notice that the protein shakes taken in are possibly filled with sodium, which retains water...

I've used many different protein shakes and haven't found any of them to be "filled with sodium". The one I currently use has 115mg per serving - far from "filled with sodium".

...I understand protein shakes help pack the pounds on a person...

Your understanding is incorrect. Protein shakes are intended to supplement your daily protein intake. Protein is an essential macronutrient for many bodily functions and some people find it difficult to get enough of it through the rest of their diet so protein shakes allow them to supplement. "Packing the pounds on" is accomplished by eating at a caloric surplus with an adequate protein intake and a solid strength training program. You don't "pack pounds on" while in a deficit, no matter how much protein you take in.

There are a lot of unnatural ingredients in them also, and our bodies do not know what to do with unnatural ingredients. My best advise is to never eat "fake" ingredients like aspartame or cancer catalysts....

Most protein shakes are made with whey/casein products which are derived directly from milk, along with some flavorings/sweeteners. I won't bother to dig it up, but there's a thread here linking to a multitude of studies showing that aspartame is perfectly safe in the amounts found in the human diet. The "fake ingredients" and "cancer catalysts" is very unspecific, but is nothing more than scaremongering.

The time of day one eats is important. A regular, and steady intake is imperative to body homeostasis. For example, eat each meal and each snack with in approx. the same 1 to 1.5 hours every day (E.g. breakfast every day between 7am to 8:30 am, Lunch between noon and 1:30 Pm, Dinner between 6 pm and 7:30 Pm, with healthy snacks between)...

There have been multitudinous studies showing that meal/nutrient timing is absolutely irrelevant for weight loss. The only reasons to have structured food intake is for personal preference/satiety/adherence issues. The metabolism is perfectly capable of processing food whenever it is taken in. How would your theory above work for the many people who work nights/graveyard shift? Should they wake up every couple hours during their sleep time to feed, then starve all night while they're at work? Also, you may want to search the internet and educate yourself about "Intermittent Fasting" - there are many people who have had great success eating within a 4, 6 or 8 hour window every day.

Our body will "store" weight if we are working it too hard. Our body will try not to starve and if we put our body under stress it will survive off itself and "retain" water to live longer. This is what happens when we don't eat at the right times, or the right amount, or the right foods...

This is a complete misunderstanding of the most basic physiological concepts. Our body will "store" weight if we are in a caloric surplus. Period. If you are in a caloric deficit, there is no net storage of fat regardless of what you eat, when you eat it, or how much of it you eat at a time.

My opinion is, the best thing for our bodies is to eat as close to natural (organic) as possible and the proper serving sizes...

At least you stated this part as opinion - but eating natural/organic is totally down to personal preference. It has nothing to do with weight loss, or even general health.

Weighing oneself every day is not good either. Once a week, same time, same cloths, same routine should give one the most satisfactory result...

Again, entirely personal preference. Some people are freaked out by the natural daily weight fluctuations and probably should weigh less often (or accept that fluctuations happen for a variety of reasons and that weight loss is not a linear process). Others are "numbers people" and enjoy seeing/analyzing the data and trying to correlate it with what they're doing.

Trying to use shakes and special foods are often too complex for any person unless they are planning to eat that "brand" continuously or forever. Honestly, again only an opinion worth as much as you paid for it, but forget all the "special" drinks/foods and get back to the basics of balanced meals, correct portion size for your gender/age/weight goals/health diagnoses. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to help.

Shakes are not "special foods". They're really not much different than drinking a glass of milk, and there's no reason in the world that you would have to "eat that 'brand' continuously or forever" - not that it would hurt anything if you did.

I can finally agree about balanced meals and appropriate portion sizes, though - we're on the right track there.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is my first time trying this type of internet site. I'm asking for everyone's patients with my postings. As I read "Jakeziskin1" I notice that the protein shakes taken in are possibly filled with sodium, which retains water, and I understand protein shakes help pack the pounds on a person. There are a lot of unnatural ingredients in them also, and our bodies do not know what to do with unnatural ingredients. My best advise is to never eat "fake" ingredients like aspartame or cancer catalysts. Alcohol is empty calories but are calories and will add weight. The time of day one eats is important. A regular, and steady intake is imperative to body homeostasis. For example, eat each meal and each snack with in approx. the same 1 to 1.5 hours every day (E.g. breakfast every day between 7am to 8:30 am, Lunch between noon and 1:30 Pm, Dinner between 6 pm and 7:30 Pm, with healthy snacks between). Our body will "store" weight if we are working it too hard. Our body will try not to starve and if we put our body under stress it will survive off itself and "retain" water to live longer. This is what happens when we don't eat at the right times, or the right amount, or the right foods. My opinion is, the best thing for our bodies is to eat as close to natural (organic) as possible and the proper serving sizes. Weighing oneself every day is not good either. Once a week, same time, same cloths, same routine should give one the most satisfactory result. Start simple. Trying to use shakes and special foods are often too complex for any person unless they are planning to eat that "brand" continuously or forever. Honestly, again only an opinion worth as much as you paid for it, but forget all the "special" drinks/foods and get back to the basics of balanced meals, correct portion size for your gender/age/weight goals/health diagnoses. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to help.
    Sorry but so much of what you say here is just propagation of fitness myths and not backed by actual science. Protein shakes do not "pack pounds" on people. They are simply a form of protein and only contribute to weight gains or losses through the calories they contain. They are fine to take to meet your protein goals. Most of them so not have much sodium, certainly not enough to cause several lbs of water retention. Our bodies can handle synthetic chemicals just fine. Natural does not mean healthy. Both lead and arsenic are natural. The time you eat is largely irrelevant. There is no research study to support the frequent feedings cause more weight loss or produce better results. Meal timing should be based on personal preference. Weighing daily is fine. While the differences in daily weights is largely irrelevant, weighing daily in order to average or graph ones weight can be extremely useful. I'm sorry but before you keep giving advice you need to check almost every single statement that you made. You made them in a factual manner and they are simply not supported by science and are certainly not factual in nature.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Could one possibility be that your 7 day a week workout schedule is masking any real fat loss? It may just take time for the SCALE to catch up to you once you release the water you're likely retaining from the exercise. How are your clothes fitting?
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    My pants went from a 38 to 33 and the waist is still a little big
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    But I'm stocky, I don't look bad but I big thighs love handles and man boobs. I mean I've toned it all up from 245 to 195 but I still have much to do
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    50 lbs lost and 5 inches in the waist?! Congrats! Was the weight increase possibly due to a high sodium or high carb day(s)? Are you at least trending downwards?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you are getting frustrated as the relative effort you are putting in has not accelerated your weight loss. You often DON'T get extra credit for extra sacrifice. You are seeing similar progress as if you were only working out four days a week and eating an occasional cookie.

To reduce your frustration level maybe dial back the fitness routine to four days a week and allow yourself a cookie or two every week.

At least try this for a week or two and see if you are getting steady results.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    50 lbs lost and 5 inches in the waist?! Congrats! Was the weight increase possibly due to a high sodium or high carb day(s)? Are you at least trending downwards?
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you are getting frustrated as the relative effort you are putting in has not accelerated your weight loss. You often DON'T get extra credit for extra sacrifice. You are seeing similar progress as if you were only working out four days a week and eating an occasional cookie.

To reduce your frustration level maybe dial back the fitness routine to four days a week and allow yourself a cookie or two every week.

At least try this for a week or two and see if you are getting steady results.

I do seem to trend downward and I guess I am being a little in patient. I think I will cut back the gym and raise my calories a little more
  • wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've just hit a stall. Do you do the same work out all the time? Maybe you need to change it up. Increase or decrease you cardio increase or decrease you resistance. Tweak your calories a little bit. Some people have to increase cal sometimes cause they don't lose and don't eat enough. I found out I wAs eating more than I thought wasn't messuring everything most thing but not everything so found out I was eating 300 more a day.