Sodium Gain

Options
So frustrated that I had ONE high sodium day because I was out and in no control of my food choices. Now I have a 1 pound setback on the scale. I know that's not a lot but I was SO CLOSE to a mini goal. How long should it take for the sodium to flush out and for my weight to go back to normal???

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    The more water you drink, the faster it will go away. But most people find it takes 4/6 days for it to calm down if you went really high over.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Typically 2 days
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    If you only went a bit over, probably a day or two.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Most people can lose water weight in a couple days. I'm blessed with a 10 day time before water weight goes away. Try to drink a bit more fluids and see if that helps things along. I so much understand the frustration.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Very sodium sensitive here and a daily weigher and charter. 2 days. Drink lots of water and search out high potassium foods like spinach and bananas. High sodium days WILL happen, accept that and move on :)
  • CFoust72591
    CFoust72591 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I didn't go TERRIBLY high over, and it was on Saturday. I'm hoping that by tomorrow I see something more positive on the scale again. @257_Lag thanks for the helpful food tips! I didn't know that potassium would help!
  • clevelandkat40
    clevelandkat40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Very sodium sensitive here and a daily weigher and charter. 2 days. Drink lots of water and search out high potassium foods like spinach and bananas. High sodium days WILL happen, accept that and move on :)

I'm also extremely sensitive to sodium, and as a result, weigh myself daily. It's not because I'm obsessive - it's just that I can fluctuate up to 5 pounds from day to day! So I'd rather see and understand the trends than be devastated because I happened to decide to eat a slice of salami the day before a weekly weigh-in, and therefore all the good progress of the week went away in a flash. LOL (Example - we had build-your-own subs yesterday for the Super Bowl, and I'm up four pounds today, even though my calorie intake was not excessive. It'll go away in a day or two, but it's always startling on the scale.)
  • CFoust72591
    CFoust72591 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @clevelandkat40 it's so good to hear I'm not the only one!!! Thanks!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I can easily gain 2- 3 lbs after a high sodium day. Usually takes me two to three days to "flush" it out.