Harder to lose when 50 yrs old! Requesting friends

Options
I just started a month ago and would like to lose over 50#. Would like to add friends to help encourage each other on this journey!

Replies

• aliciavallier
    aliciavallier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi.Today is my first day. I also would like to lose over 50# and I am in the same age group. I would also like to find encouraging friends for this journey.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    It's only harder if you think it's harder. ;)

Start with small changes, get moving, and see where it takes you! BTW, I'm 54 years old, and have lost over 110 pounds since turning 50.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I must say I managed ok - have lost 160 lbs at age 52-3 and without much exercise due to dodgy knees too. It is pretty straight forward - just log and weigh everything and stick to the limit set by MFP! Sounds easy but the rewards are huge!! Set yourself small targets and you find they soon add up....
  • ebaswell
    ebaswell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm hitting 50 years old in about 2 months myself. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Track meticulously, both good days and bad. Celebrate the days you're under your goal, and move on from the "bad" days without looking back. You can do this! :)
  • jeanmarie2016
    jeanmarie2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, I am very optimistic and plan to stick with this until I reach my goal :D:D
  • morrisseylauralynn
    Options
    I hear you!! I am finding I am someone I do not even recognize and want to get back to being disciplined! Id love to support you!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and recently lost 45 lbs-- working on the last 5. Add me if you like!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't buy into the myth that losing weight over 40 is harder. I did for too many years, and because of the myth, did not even try. When I found this site and started reading the success stories, I thought to myself, maybe I can do this too.
    Lost over 160 pounds and have been on maintenance for a little over 2 years now. I started at age 60 and am 64 now.
    It is not easy at any age. It takes self control and perseverance. You have to want it bad enough to go for it. You have to stay within your calories and log EVERYTHING that you eat and drink. Exercise is helpful for overall health, but I had lost over 90 pounds before I began to even go for short walks.
    If I can do this, seriously, anyone can.
  • cerulean_blue
    cerulean_blue Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow, good for you rosebarnalice! Excellent! I'll be your friend too jeanmarie2016. Want to lose 20 lbs at least.
  • morrisseylauralynn
    morrisseylauralynn Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I measure all that I eat and celebrate wins every day. It keeps me conscious of what I am putting in my mouth
    I keep recipes very simple so it's easier to measure and manage
    I love myfitnesspal.com - it has a great database of food that is better than any other database I've used to track my food and activities
    I put small goals out there only a week or so and reevaluate once I reach them. I have to loose 30 pounds but really only 1.5 / week
    I remember I had better disciple when I did not drink wine or coffee. SO for me it made sense to give those up. And my sleep has improved immensely.
    I started sharing with friends how I was doing and my goals! And it has been fun to receive the added encouragement!
    As I am over 50 I also have found that I am dealing with menopausal symptoms I did not realize were all part of Menopause!
    That's my story - I look forward to hearing more about yours!
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and would be happy to join you! I'm a rebounder, but motivated!
  • jeanmarie2016
    Options
    Thank you for all the friend requests... in the first month I have lost 14 lbs so I know I am on the right path being here :) I strive to exercise every day. treadmill in the evenings and hiking (yes in the beautiful Michigan snow) and cross country skiing on weekends. Tracking what I eat and making healthy choices has helped. I enjoy the recipes we have available here! For the past couple of decades I have weighed over 200 lbs and have always wanted to get below that mark! I am 5"11 and my friends tell me "I carry my weight well" ...but for me I would love to get below that horrible number...
  • Sheilaoflaherty
    Sheilaoflaherty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, thank you for the positive words!!
  • joellept58
    joellept58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and would love to join you. I started about a month ago and am down about 12 lbs now. This site has been a great way to keep track every day and stay accountable.
  • freedsheila226
    freedsheila226 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. Let myself go for a few years. I woke up one morning and knew it was time to be accountable for me and this extra weight. Started at 198.4 and in one month I've dropped 16.2 lbs. it's been a struggle but I am bound and determined to wear a two piece bathing suit again in this lifetime. I'm looking for some buddies to share the ups and downs of this process. Let's win together!
  • hopeinmn
    hopeinmn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am encouraged by all the success stories on this thread! I'm 52 and looking to lose 80 lbs. I've lost 9 since I started MFP 41 days ago. Please add me if you are looking for like-minded friends. I have an open diary and log daily.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am over 50, and it has been a struggle to accept the fact my body does not burn calories the way it used to. Any of you here can feel free to add me as a friend. Also, please join my new group if it appeals to you!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112139-simplicity
  • Nbrozak
    Nbrozak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 54 and have lost 67 lbs over the last 9 months or so. Like someone else said here, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Follow MFP, record EVERYTHING you eat and it works. It simply works.
  • Dundeegal1
    Dundeegal1 Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Starting again today...really need to commit to this. I've always dieted in secret so my skinny friends weren't aware...new year new change. Would love to join in with you guys on this journey
  • jeanmarie2016
    Options
    It get that....I am the type not to broadcast my weight programs losses (like I see some do on FB) other than here.....but I am sharing with coworkers and they have been very supportive....thankful they have not been bringing in goodies!