Weight loss, depression, and us.

Ok, so, it boils down to this: I've got depression issues, and with how crazy the rates of that are in this day and age I know I'm not alone with that. For anyone comfortable enough with the issue to pop in and talk about it: how do you keep your motivation to lose weight going when you hit one of your lows? It's so hard for me to push through, granted I'm at least doing a good job of not going crazy and sabotaging myself/eating EVERYTHING I can get my hands on. But exercise? Lord, if I could even get myself out of bed the last two days I was lucky.

So pop in, share your tips, your struggles, and any experiences you have. It can be a support group within a support group!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Hello! I am sorry but can't offer any tips or tricks for this type of thing. I don't want to say the wrong thing . but I still wanted to comment and show my support! Best of luck to you ! I hope you feel better soon !
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    I have severe depression and boy is it hard to get out of bed most days! When I hit one of my lows I tend not to eat anything, I just stay in bed all day. I don't exercise either when I'm low so my weight loss progress so far has been slow. I don't have any tips or tricks except just do what you feel like doing at the time. I know what it's like when you feel low, the last you want to do is exercise!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Have you found a therapist or a group to help you? Many companies include a counseling hotline and therapy in their health insurance. If not, non-profits do exist and can help find you a group. It's a disease like any other and you need to seek treatment.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Please seek medical help if you haven't already, it's really important to start there. I have lived with depression since I was a child. A lot of ups and downs throughout my life. Cognitive behavioural therapy along with the right meds have made a huge difference for me. I am able to maintain a level of stability that I previously thought would never be achievable for me. You need to start with medical professionals to find your base line. Are you clinically depressed, situationally depressed, do you have brain chemistry imbalance? Best of luck to you.....it can get better, a lot better!
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    edited February 2016
    I am going to be honest though what I generally say about this is not popular around here. Oh well. Haters gonna hate.

For reference, I have bipolar 2, anxiety, and depression. Bipolar being a mental disorder that essentially makes you have problems regulating moods to the point where you deal with extreme highs and lows in ways you cannot control. Bipolar 2 leans on the depressive side vs Bipolar 1 which is more manic (elevated "good" moods).

Weight has been a constant issue for the last 10-15 years of my life. What I came to realize that for me, food was something that gave me comfort in times of being very depressed. It just kept getting worse. A few times I would have this glimmer of light and I would start eating better and working out. But, eventually that light would go out and I was back to square 1. So fast forward a bit and I get diagnosed officially and my doctor starts me on medications. It took 3 years to find the right combination. The right combination really helped me turn the corner. There was hope, that light that I rarely saw was like this big flood light on me now.

So, I started counting calories. Got myself a gym membership. I didn't go much at first. And I often went over my calories. I started to get a little better at it. I bought a pretty little notebook and I started writing down positive quotes that I found through pintrest and just looking around the internet. I gave myself time everyday to read through them and add a new one. To set a good, positive moods. Yea, some days I looked at some of the quotes and had a very cynical outlook of thinking it was a bunch of nonsense that meant nothing. Everyone has those days. But after a few weeks, I started believing those quotes more and more and I could tell my mood was improving.

One day, I happened to come across someone talking about Keto, which is a low carb, high fat/protein sort of diet. It reminded me of a spell where I did Atkins for 2 weeks, ate nothing but bacon, eggs, and cheese, and couldn't poop. That's a whole lot of misery I didn't stick with for long. But I kept on reading about the Ketogenic Diet. What I came to find out is that it was originally meant for epilepsy patients as a way to help control seizures. Some of the medications I am on double as anti-seizure medications. So for me it, a keto diet helps the part of my brain that basically makes me depressed and unable to handle my emotions and moods.

I started on keto a month ago. It's had its up and downs. But man, I feel AWESOME. Over the past week, I have tried to run a little bit. I don't think I have ran in 15 years or more. I go swimming at my YMCA a few times a week. I lift weights. I actually feel like doing these things. I have totally overhauled how I eat. I eat less than 20 carbs a day, generally. I have lost weight, I have a much more positive attitude in general. People around me have started to notice.

I set a few small goals. Go to the gym 2 times this week. I made this goal and that felt really good. Making reasonable goals and reaching them feels really good! I also started getting involved with message boards that deal with my diet (keto), and started feeling like I had people to talk to about something that is basically, my whole life. They help to motivate me. Being surrounded by people who talk about positive changes they are experiencing can be very motivating. I've gotten involved with weight loss contests , namely a biggest loser contest at work. This time last year I would be highly embarrassed to get my 266 pound butt on a scale in front of anyone but myself. Now I feel like I have to prove it and I want to do well. I talk about my diet and exercise all the time. All the damn time. My co-workers are always interested in what I bring for lunch. They don't make me feel stupid or fat. I suppose that is one area you can't control, lol, but find that positive person in your life and tell then you need them to be a rock! My best friend is awesome at reminding me of my goals and aspirations even through he isn't involved in the same things. A lot of people have a rock, they just have to dust it off. But if you don't have a rock or your rock is really kind of a pebble, there are so many online places, and even here in MFP where you can find support.

Some people will say, "just get up and do it." If it were that easy, it would of been done. Finding motivation is really hard. Probably some of the hardest stuff that you can possibly do for yourself.

So, to sum it up : medication, positive thinking, finding a friend you can really lean on, and the keto diet gave me my life back. I recognize that medication is not for everyone, nor is the keto diet. But, anyone can do a bit of mindful meditation with reading positive thoughts and trying to teach yourself to relate to them.

I hope you find something that works for you. Overcoming depression is hard but it can be done.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    I am going to be honest though what I generally say about this is not popular around here. Oh well. Haters gonna hate.

For reference, I have bipolar 2, anxiety, and depression. Bipolar being a mental disorder that essentially makes you have problems regulating moods to the point where you deal with extreme highs and lows in ways you cannot control. Bipolar 2 leans on the depressive side vs Bipolar 1 which is more manic (elevated "good" moods).

Weight has been a constant issue for the last 10-15 years of my life. What I came to realize that for me, food was something that gave me comfort in times of being very depressed. It just kept getting worse. A few times I would have this glimmer of light and I would start eating better and working out. But, eventually that light would go out and I was back to square 1. So fast forward a bit and I get diagnosed officially and my doctor starts me on medications. It took 3 years to find the right combination. The right combination really helped me turn the corner. There was hope, that light that I rarely saw was like this big flood light on me now.

So, I started counting calories. Got myself a gym membership. I didn't go much at first. And I often went over my calories. I started to get a little better at it. I bought a pretty little notebook and I started writing down positive quotes that I found through pintrest and just looking around the internet. I gave myself time everyday to read through them and add a new one. To set a good, positive moods. Yea, some days I looked at some of the quotes and had a very cynical outlook of thinking it was a bunch of nonsense that meant nothing. Everyone has those days. But after a few weeks, I started believing those quotes more and more and I could tell my mood was improving.

One day, I happened to come across someone talking about Keto, which is a low carb, high fat/protein sort of diet. It reminded me of a spell where I did Atkins for 2 weeks, ate nothing but bacon, eggs, and cheese, and couldn't poop. That's a whole lot of misery I didn't stick with for long. But I kept on reading about the Ketogenic Diet. What I came to find out is that it was originally meant for epilepsy patients as a way to help control seizures. Some of the medications I am on double as anti-seizure medications. So for me it, a keto diet helps the part of my brain that basically makes me depressed and unable to handle my emotions and moods.

I started on keto a month ago. It's had its up and downs. But man, I feel AWESOME. Over the past week, I have tried to run a little bit. I don't think I have ran in 15 years or more. I go swimming at my YMCA a few times a week. I lift weights. I actually feel like doing these things. I have totally overhauled how I eat. I eat less than 20 carbs a day, generally. I have lost weight, I have a much more positive attitude in general. People around me have started to notice.

I set a few small goals. Go to the gym 2 times this week. I made this goal and that felt really good. Making reasonable goals and reaching them feels really good! I also started getting involved with message boards that deal with my diet (keto), and started feeling like I had people to talk to about something that is basically, my whole life. They help to motivate me. Being surrounded by people who talk about positive changes they are experiencing can be very motivating. I've gotten involved with weight loss contests , namely a biggest loser contest at work. This time last year I would be highly embarrassed to get my 266 pound butt on a scale in front of anyone but myself. Now I feel like I have to prove it and I want to do well. I talk about my diet and exercise all the time. All the damn time. My co-workers are always interested in what I bring for lunch. They don't make me feel stupid or fat. I suppose that is one area you can't control, lol, but find that positive person in your life and tell then you need them to be a rock! My best friend is awesome at reminding me of my goals and aspirations even through he isn't involved in the same things. A lot of people have a rock, they just have to dust it off. But if you don't have a rock or your rock is really kind of a pebble, there are so many online places, and even here in MFP where you can find support.

Some people will say, "just get up and do it." If it were that easy, it would of been done. Finding motivation is really hard. Probably some of the hardest stuff that you can possibly do for yourself.

So, to sum it up : medication, positive thinking, finding a friend you can really lean on, and the keto diet gave me my life back. I recognize that medication is not for everyone, nor is the keto diet. But, anyone can do a bit of mindful meditation with reading positive thoughts and trying to teach yourself to relate to them.

I hope you find something that works for you. Overcoming depression is hard but it can be done.

How could anyone hate on something that YOU have found to help YOU feel Awesome? There a a lot of folks here that state their opinions as fact and seem to feel that their way is the only way...but you have found your way and that is great and inspiring and hopefully the OP heard you. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.
  • kelleyboo77
    kelleyboo77 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    MeganD_96 wrote: »
    I have severe depression and boy is it hard to get out of bed most days! When I hit one of my lows I tend not to eat anything, I just stay in bed all day. I don't exercise either when I'm low so my weight loss progress so far has been slow. I don't have any tips or tricks except just do what you feel like doing at the time. I know what it's like when you feel low, the last you want to do is exercise!

So me. During the lows, it's hard to muster up the energy to face the world never mind exercising. Trying to find the right approach to get back to it.

Glad you posted this :)

• Pp351959
    Pp351959 Posts: 1 Member
    Congrats on finding your way, Keto eating is by far the best way to eat for my mental health in regards to low moods and negative thinking.....if we can take care of what's between our ears the rest eventually falls into place...won't be all sunshine and rainbows but there will be hope.....thank you for sharing!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    monetary motivation is huge for me because I'm super poor, so for me just knowing that I'm paying for a gym membership is plenty enough motivation for me to go. plus I REALLY hate my body right now, so I'm quite motivated to improve it.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    I find it best to make a 'plan', it's almost like when I know I have to go to work I also know I have to do other things regardless of if I like it or not. lol I have to do A B and C today and just do it. Once I'm out and about I'm good. The weekend are harder though since I don't work, a lot of times I just end up staying in bed/ not leaving the house. I also try to focus on the needs of those around me as well, and not just on my 'mood'. I'm diagnosed bipolar so some weeks/months are better then others. Idk if this was at all helpful or not, but wish you the best
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    I suffer from depression and I know the struggles of getting up and motivated to do anything is difficult let alone excerise! I found my body feels sluggish and though I don't eat much through a depressive phase my body feels like it shuts down.
    One thing I always do is shower and get dressed no matter how rubbish I feel. I found thst gets me more inclined to get out the house or up in the house doing house wprk and chores.