Weighing Yourself!

Options
I Weigh Myself Every Morning, I Tend To Lose Between Half A Pound To A Pound Over Night, But I've Been Told It's Unhealthy To Keep Weighing Myself Is This True?

Replies

• brotherjake70
    brotherjake70 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes it is true. If you don't like what you see you tend to fall off - "Mind over Matter". Maybe weigh yourself once a week?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You have to decide for yourself.

Some people get obsessed with the number on the scale, and being up a pound or down a pound from day to day can send them into a tizzy. A pound up can turn into a "bad" day-- even when that pound is entirely within the range of normal fluctuations. For those people, weighing once a week might be a better choice.

I weigh every day first thing in the morning after I poop and before I eat breakfast, but I only record my weight once a week. Weighing every day helps me understand my own body better-- and how my body reacts to things like too much sodium, or not enough water, etcetera. But recording only once a week helps keep me from obsessing too much over the daily numbers.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    They say you should weigh yourself at the most, once a week. But it's also a personal preference. The best thing to do is to be consistent with it. Examples: doing it in the morning, before you shower, after you go to the bathroom, etc. Also, as a female, your "time of the month" is gong to affect your numbers so don't get be hard on yourself that week.

My personal opinion from experience: Don't weigh yourself everyday. Your water weight can fluctuate in a day. Your daily sodium level can effect your water weight as well. Checking your weight everyday is going to get you discouraged because you aren't going to see the result that you want but for most people in that situation, those results are not realistic.

I myself use to weigh myself once a week but that discouraged me as well. I'm not weighing myself this time (I know my starting weight). At this time my goal is to weigh myself after 6 months. The instant gratification doesn't come from a number, it comes from how you feel and the changes you make in your daily life. That's instant gratification. If you achieve those, you will also achieve the results that you want in the long run.

I can also say that weighing yourself this often (daily) can mentally be unhealthy as well because you, again, will discourage yourself.

I hope this helped you.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have an Omron Body Composition scale. I like it. I do a full body comp every Saturday morning and put the info into a spreadsheet (eventually...). That is my official weekly weigh in. I do step on the scale at the gym but I don't take that very seriously... for one thing I don't think it's accurate and it's in the evenings.

Step on the scale whenever you want as long as you can keep it from affecting your attitude negatively. Do an official weigh-in every week or two under consistent conditions. With hopefully an accurate scale. And also you could be building muscle so if you can get one, get a good body comp scale like an Omron.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday if its a good number I log it if not then I move on. You have to be able to understand the fluctuations and be at peace with it. For me weighing daily helps, its a constant reminder of my goals whether it be to maintain or lose.
  • PrincessxSoph
    PrincessxSoph Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank You Every One For Your Advice :smiley:
  • allieparkia
    allieparkia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week...normally Mondays. I see too much up and down if I do it more often...