mother of twins!

Options
hey there! my name is erin and i signed up for fitness pal about month and half ago i think and have not been able to stay dedicated. as of yesterday i am back on. i was 120 lbs when i found out i was pregnant with twins and day of delivery i was 187. my weight teeters around 155-160 and i have got to lose atleast 30 lbs! ASAP! is there any other twin mommies out there that still have this pregnant like stretched out stubborn tummy that wont go away! seems from the side if i could cut off my stomach i could look fine...now i know why mothers of multiples give into tummy tucks. does anyone have any good tips for the tummy? i have never had a problem losing weight before and it seems as if it has become impossible after pregnancy like my body is messed up. the twins are 1 1/2 yrs so i should have bounced back by now. I dont have a whole lot of time for exercise but do what i can 20 min walks with the twins or a 20 min evening jog if i can fit it in....sigh....anyone out there feeling the same way? anyone have any good pointers? any twin mommies with success stories?

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a twin mom too, and after having my twins, and losing the weight, I still had saggy skin. There's nothing you can do (as far as diet and exercise) to get rid of excess skin. They say to wait a couple of yrs after you give birth (and have done the diet/exercise thing) to see if it bounces back or not. If it doesn't, the only way you'll get rid of it is with a tummy tuck, which I've had done, btw!
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can add me as a friend if you like! My goals are similar to yours and being on here is amazing! The support and encouragement that I have gotten from complete strangers has been awesome. For exercise you could always look into getting one of many workout videos (Jillian Michael's videos are awesome!!!) and do them when your babies are napping. :wink:
    Good Luck, you can do this!!
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My twins are a year old. I am back to my pre-pregnacy weight and still have this nasty sagging belly. I am just going to continue with my diet and exercise, and when I can save up enough money I will have surgery to have it removed.
  • 120goalgirl
    Options
    WAS THE TUCK JUST AWFUL? I THOUGHT THE C-SECTION WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE AND SWORE OFF ANY OTHER STOMACH SURGERY EVER AGAIN...BUT STARTING TO SECOND GUESS THAT STATEMENT.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The tummy tuck was the WORST surgerical experience (post-op) ever! B/c you have your skin removed (scar runs from hip to hip), your skin is sooooo tight after surgery, that you (once you can!) have to walk bent over. The skin is too tight to stand up. In addition, you have tubes hanging out from your pubic area, to drain blood/excess fluid, so that you don't get swelling/delayed healing etc.

I've had many surgeries, and that one was by far the worst. Also, you don't know what your belly button will look like afterwards, since it gets "repositioned". You basically get a new one, and it doesn't look quite like a "normal" one.

On the flip side, I don't have any loose skin hanging anymore, my clothes fit better, and I look better. So, was it worth it? Yeah. Would I do it again? Never in a million yrs, lol!

I know one lady who had it done several times, b/c each time, she'd gain all this weight back and get all flabby again, then try to loose weight, and wound up with extra skin again! Even if you have this done, you still have to eat right and exercise, in order to have a taut, strong belly. You can quickly undo a good surgical result if you don't watch it. Look at all the Biggest Loser contestants that have already had bariatric surgery, and are 400 lbs again! A tummy tuck will get rid of the skin, but you have to follow that with a good diet and exercise plan to really see results.
  • losindababyweight
    Options
    I'm not a mother of twins however I do feel your pain. My baby was a 10lb'r and I'm a very petite woman. My stomach looks like I had twins. I wish there was an easy fix as well because I am scared to get a tummy tuck. I've heard horror stories, but at the same time it would be nice to have my old stomach back and I know that will be the only way to fix the problem.
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Look up 1fitmamaoftwins. She looks awesome and did it in only 6 months. No surgery.
  • msz_pinky
    Options
    Yay another mother of twins! I just had my boys 9weeks ago and would love to have more twin mommy friends! I have a couple on my baby center.com board but none are on here yet lol! Hope u don't mind a friend request! I got lucky and don't have twins skin but I also had a cs at 33weeks w my boys. I do have stretchmarks and the dark line down the middle still :(
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and my twin boys are 5.5 months old (4 months adjusted).

I was overweight when I got pregnant, and they were the result of our third IVF attempt (and the doctor said it was probably our last). My pregnancy went great, but then I got pre-eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome at 30w. They managed to stabilize me and I bought the boys some extra time, but we pulled the plug at 32/4 with a semi-emergency c-section. My little guys were 3lbs5oz each, and spent a month in the NICU plaguing the nurses with their antics.

Now they're around 14lbs and I still look like I'm pregnant! Grrrr. I gained 50lbs while pg, and dropped 30lbs in the first few days after delivery. I'm lucky enough to have a ton of help, including a nanny during the day. But I'm still not working out enough and I'm a little too fond of M&Ms.

I used to run, but I don't think my knees would like it right now. The weather is finally good enough for me to take the boys out for walks, and I have a good home gym set-up that I just need to use more. I used to love lifting weights, and I'm trying to do more of that to build my strength back up!

My problem is discipline. I just get lazy, and it's easier to take a nap than it is to go work out. And M&Ms are sooooo good. :) But I want to lose the baby weight by the boys' first birthday, and hopefully more on top of that!
  • 120goalgirl
    Options
    Hey girl! Im right there with you! I think we are both on the same page but I know we can do it! What thing that I have learned is every lil bit counts....20 min here 20 min there...and its a great start. That along with planning your meals for the day is an awesome start! We can do this together!
  • karisbrandes
    karisbrandes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 14 month old twin girls! I "tried" losing the weight right away after having them buy it bogged down and focussed on survival for the first few months. On their 1st birthday I decided to give it another shot. I'm down 20lbs, 30 more... And a lot of toning!
  • I_luv_my_twins
    Options
    My guys are 9 months old now. I, like others, was overweight when I conceived and then gained 50 pounds during the pregnancy. My boys were born healthy at 35 weeks, 5 12 and 5 13 and are now 17 15 and 18 1. In the weeks after the delivery I lost like 40 pounds and then just stopped losing. Now there are days I feel like I am not just not losing weight, I am gaining it! I am starting a part time job as a server and had to borrow my husband's fat pants! This is not good!

So I have decided to take some of the principles of success that I read about and use them for weight loss. I use positive affirmations like, "I nourish my body and mind to reach my goals. I am in complete control of what goes into my mouth. I eat the foods that love my body and lift up my health."

I will start a blog soon and track how it all works out. I have confidence! I will attain my goal weight!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm a twin mom too, and after having my twins, and losing the weight, I still had saggy skin. There's nothing you can do (as far as diet and exercise) to get rid of excess skin. They say to wait a couple of yrs after you give birth (and have done the diet/exercise thing) to see if it bounces back or not. If it doesn't, the only way you'll get rid of it is with a tummy tuck, which I've had done, btw!

Yes same here...the skinny is a little saggy unless surgery is done :ohwell:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The tummy tuck was the WORST surgerical experience (post-op) ever! B/c you have your skin removed (scar runs from hip to hip), your skin is sooooo tight after surgery, that you (once you can!) have to walk bent over. The skin is too tight to stand up. In addition, you have tubes hanging out from your pubic area, to drain blood/excess fluid, so that you don't get swelling/delayed healing etc.

I've had many surgeries, and that one was by far the worst. Also, you don't know what your belly button will look like afterwards, since it gets "repositioned". You basically get a new one, and it doesn't look quite like a "normal" one.

On the flip side, I don't have any loose skin hanging anymore, my clothes fit better, and I look better. So, was it worth it? Yeah. Would I do it again? Never in a million yrs, lol!

I know one lady who had it done several times, b/c each time, she'd gain all this weight back and get all flabby again, then try to loose weight, and wound up with extra skin again! Even if you have this done, you still have to eat right and exercise, in order to have a taut, strong belly. You can quickly undo a good surgical result if you don't watch it. Look at all the Biggest Loser contestants that have already had bariatric surgery, and are 400 lbs again! A tummy tuck will get rid of the skin, but you have to follow that with a good diet and exercise plan to really see results.

Thank you for being so honest! Sometimes I think about looking into a tummy tuck but I didn't realize it was so painful! The belly button thing did always scare me, though..... I can see why someone with a lot of extra sagging skin would do it, but from what you described my stomach isn't that bad where I want to go through all that. I have had three c-sections and gained about 60lbs each pregnancy but for the most part I'll learn to live with what I have!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    WAS THE TUCK JUST AWFUL? I THOUGHT THE C-SECTION WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE AND SWORE OFF ANY OTHER STOMACH SURGERY EVER AGAIN...BUT STARTING TO SECOND GUESS THAT STATEMENT.

My first c-section was rough, too! I know it was a month before I could get my groceries all in one trip, I just couldn't walk around for that long. My second and third were practically a breeze but I had a different doctor who is also a plastic surgen. He told me that my stomach hadn't been lined back up the way it should be. I had noticed that dark line that goes down your stomach was crooked at the incision scar but didn't think too much of it since I knew I'd have more kids.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm a twin mommy too - mine are 3 and I have had the same problem :) My muscles are separated and not going back together on their own, so I've got the full saggy skin, bulgy belly. It's been kind of hard to deal with for me because I've never had a belly and even after working hard and getting in shape - it's still there! I am not opposed to having a tummy tuck eventually. It has taken me a long time to get rid of the weight added from my twin pregnancy (had 2 children before them and it was nowhere as hard getting that weight off!) I will say that since I started adding in some strength training (The Shred), it has really helped. The skin is still there and still saggy but nothing like it was, doesn't pooch out so much. Lost 1.5 inches on my stomach in the first 7 days of the workout!

Love seeing all of these twin moms :) I know your lives are just as crazy as mine! and I am glad to see all of you on here making healthy choices!
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I remember being in nursing school and witnessing my first tummy tuck. . . . I was so shocked when they did the new belly button! It was kind of cool though :) Can I ask you how much weight you lost from the tummy tuck? I sometimes wonder how much this skin weighs! My Dr estimated mine would be 7-10 pounds and that kind of shocked me!