Mummy tummy / hanging apron

Options
Need to tone up / reduce this ...know u can't just spot reduce ...so looking for exercises or things I can do that will work that area as well as others thanks

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's fat and stretched skin. Just keep eating at a calorie deficit and lose more fat.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You need to lose overall body fat then determine if it's loose skin. If it is loose skin, there's not much you can do about it besides surgery.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can not spot reduce.

eat at a deficit to lose the excess fat.

lift heavy to build muscle (please note you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time) however, if you lift heavy while eating in a deficit, you will maintain your muscle mass and have a good strength starting point when you are ready to focus on weight work and building muscle.

loose skin can take a couple of years to bounce back, but is also dependent on age, how long you were overweight and heredity. In many cases, you have to live with it, or have surgery.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    you can not spot reduce.

lift heavy to build muscle (please note you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time) however, if you lift heavy while eating in a deficit, you will maintain your muscle mass and have a good strength starting point when you are ready to focus on weight work and building muscle.

loose skin can take a couple of years to bounce back, but is also dependent on age, how long you were overweight and heredity. In many cases, you have to live with it, or have surgery.

That's not entirely true.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I have this issue I've found walking and doing exercise vids at home plus diet has helped particularly interval training. I started doing Jillian Michaels and have noticed a big improvement waist wise and it appears to be lifting a bit ( probably all those planks!) and sit-ups. I started with slim in 6, p90x, beginner shred, Leslie sansone, Chris Powell the workout. I'm on 30 day shred now.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't know about yours but mine is pretty bad and filled with fat. Seems to be one of the only places I'm carrying fat besides my back and a little on my thighs. Good luck tho!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Need to tone up / reduce this ...know u can't just spot reduce ...so looking for exercises or things I can do that will work that area as well as others thanks

Sooo...you know you can't spot reduce, but you want exercises that will work the area? What do you expect that to do? (Hint: it won't tone that area)

What spot reducing means is working one area of your body and getting fat deposits to reduce from that targeted spot. Which is basically what you were asking for. And that doesn't happen. It's impossible.

Stick to a calorie deficit, implement a strength training regimen, and be patient. Fat will gradually reduce from all over, including your belly.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    you can not spot reduce.

Pretty much this.
    I was morbidly obese and had two babies.
    Over 4-ish years it really improved.
    I had another baby 10 months, and started as soon as I could back with weights and it's really looking better.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do you have a diastis recti? It wont affect the apron much, but many moms have it. Its the separation of the stomach muscles. It can lead to a bigger belly and traditional core exercises can make it worse.
  • twinmummy383
    twinmummy383 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I have that , how would I find out ? Tell I have it etc ? Thanks