How do you control yourself from having a binge?

Options
Any tips would help, I are almost 600 calories over my goal, that is including eating my exercise calories.

I'm not even sure if the binge is done....

My diary is open, I log and measure everything I eat.

Replies

• Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When i feel like i want to binge, i drink water first. If that doesnt stop it i try to disctract myself by doing something else. And i chew gum...

Other things i know might help is brush your teeth (mint stops cravings), tell yourself i can have something in half an hour if im still hungry (most of the times im not ;) )
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    Go skull some water, brush your teeth, and then pop some gum in to keep your mouth busy.. then put on your favourite movie/TV show and distract yourself :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Just like I tell everyone else with this problem.

There is no rule out there that says you must eat 3 meals a day. I would try eating 6 times a day just in smaller portions. It helps sate your hunger more often.

Also, what stops alot of people is that they avoid salty, sweet and fatty foods. Your body craves these things because it needs them. Don't deprive yourself of them, just go about it a more natural way.
  • mwfannwy
    mwfannwy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight now and I still plan every meal and try to keep them to so many calories e.g, 400 for breakfast, 400 for lunch and 600 for dinner. I think it helps to keep tighter control and soon enough it becomes habit and what your body expects to get. :wink:
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel pretty crappy about my binge, but I guess tomorrow is another day.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would be sure to not have the food I'm most likely to binge on around the house. Drinking water and brushing your teeth are both great ideas. I also go for a walk if I feel some weird craving coming on or pop in an exercise video or play an active Wii game.
    You can also call a friend and have someone kind of talk you out of eating... or jump on here...
    Good luck! You can do it!
    Sandi
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Have mint gum...and a glass of water.....it is very refreshing : )
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i have used the clean my teeth method mint makes things taste terrible so i dont snack, ive also stopped buying the junk i binge on or i go to bed even at times like 8pm i will watch tv in bed or read it works for me because once im in bed craving or no craving i am way too lazy to move from my nice comfy warm bed to walk downstairs into kitchen route around for what i want and then go get back settled lazines swins for me

having said that we all have blips that we think why did i eat that or all of that we`re only human and tomorrow is a whole new day while trying to avoid is the best action dont beat yourself up if you fail losing weight is a slow process and it wont happen overnight nor will any bad habits we have dissapear over night have a great day tomorrow and dont overly worry about a bad day put down to experiance and move on theres no point dwelling on it
  • cassmsta
    cassmsta Posts: 75
    Options
    That is the thing, I don't really have allot of crap in my house, and that's not really what i'm interested in, I don't eat meat, I don't drink regular pop, I rarely eat chips or sweats, my binge today consisted of carbohydrates, I think I know why I binged today, about 2 months ago a friend of mine committed suicide, he jumped off the high level bridge in Edmonton,Alberta, we went to his moms today, and helped pack up his things, it was pretty upsetting and we found some pretty disturbing things, I cant stop thinking about it. I know its not an excuse, but maybe I need to figure out what CAUSES the binge rather than how to stop them so I can prevent them?

Has anyone been able to defeat them this way?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hey there you are soooo not alone on this one!
    there are 2 sorts... 1st is a craving you can hold off cravings(they last about 15 mins)..
    but then there are the 2nd..the ones where you have been holding off those cravings all day even several days and you get the chance and just do it 2 mins binge and it could be a weeks worth of exersice down the drain! 2 bloody mins thats all it takes...
    and yes i was doing sooo well this week and friday came hubby popped out and 2 mins is all it took to demolish a whole pack of areo biccys! all 7 so 700 cals OMG!
    BUT look on the brite side of fridays disaster i was still under cal goal!! just..lol

as for holding off the cravings just will power as for holding off a super binge if i had that secret i would be rich!
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one!! I've to head to work now so I'll come back to this later!!! Don't write off the whole day or whole week because of it, (like I usually did) I've eaten upto 5000 kcals in one sitting. Get back on track with logging etc, I know the feeling where u feel like you can't control a binge...

Xx
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    That is the thing, I don't really have allot of crap in my house, and that's not really what i'm interested in, I don't eat meat, I don't drink regular pop, I rarely eat chips or sweats, my binge today consisted of carbohydrates, I think I know why I binged today, about 2 months ago a friend of mine committed suicide, he jumped off the high level bridge in Edmonton,Alberta, we went to his moms today, and helped pack up his things, it was pretty upsetting and we found some pretty disturbing things, I cant stop thinking about it. I know its not an excuse, but maybe I need to figure out what CAUSES the binge rather than how to stop them so I can prevent them?

Has anyone been able to defeat them this way?

carbs u understand i always go overboard on things like pasta and rice potato curry the only thing that stops me is simply not cooking them or weighing it out as 1 portion and not cooking anything more than that bread im not a fan of but maybe buying smaller loaves or th esmall individual bake your self bread rolls

as for what causes a binge everyones differant if i smell chinese food from a certain place i end up craving it for days i have to send hubby to get me a small portion or id go way overboard boredom is a problem for some people only you know what triggers you
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    The only thing I hate about carbs is that that they burn fast which make you hungrier faster. (That why people always say Chinese food goes right through you.) If you are not a meat eater then try to eat things still higher in fat like avocados and nuts.
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    Night time binging is the main cause of my rather large amount of weight gain over the past few years. I was pretty seriously depressed and remember stopping past maccas or hungry jacks on my way home from work (anywhere between 9pm-1am), crawling into bed with a movie and pigging out on burgers, nuggets, fries, extra cheese on everything, extra mayo or tar-tare sauce on the side. I think it was just a comfort thing. When I moved out of home just over a year ago, I managed to stop the junk food binges but it was usually replaced with a second meal. I'd have dinner at 5.30/6pm then again when I got home. 4 weeks ago I went on champix (chantix to some) to quit smoking, with my biggest concern being replacing cigarettes with food, and weight gain due to the loss of the appetite suppresant effect smokes can have. I have been smoke free for 3 days, and almost completely night time binge free for those three weeks as well. As suggested by others if I'm hungry I brush my teeth, grab a piece of gum and thats usually enough to curb the cravings. If not, i grab the weights my boyfriend got me and get to work. I would have thought that cutting out an entire (unneeded) meal a night would help me lose weight but no luck so far.