binging

Options
So for as long as I can remember I've struggled with binge eating. It's not like some people where I only binge on certain foods like chocolate or sweets. Im not a chocolate or sweets fan anyway. My problem is normal food, at extremely unhealthy amounts. Every meal I literally eat so much even though I'm no longer hungry. I know its a mental thing and I've tried stopping but I can't shake it. I've never talked to anyone about it because I feel like people would just judge me. Is anyone dealing with this? No judgement please.

Replies

• Marathon83
    Marathon83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just read this! We are all in this together, don't think anyone will judge you on here, certainly not me! Hope this app helps you and you make your healthy goals! We're all here for you!
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I struggle with binging myself. I sent you a request!
  • PhilyBluntz
    PhilyBluntz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So for as long as I can remember I've struggled with binge eating. It's not like some people where I only binge on certain foods like chocolate or sweets. Im not a chocolate or sweets fan anyway. My problem is normal food, at extremely unhealthy amounts. Every meal I literally eat so much even though I'm no longer hungry. I know its a mental thing and I've tried stopping but I can't shake it. I've never talked to anyone about it because I feel like people would just judge me. Is anyone dealing with this? No judgement please.

This sounds exactly like me... I wish I could say I knew a fix. But it seems to just come down to placing reminders to tell me to think about what I'm doing. I try to place inspirational photos and phrases around, or reminders of goals that I have and WHY I need to be sure not to over eat or keep eating even when I know I'm full.

It's tough. Best of luck to you!
  • dianetackwell
    dianetackwell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to join in and say I am a binge eater also .. no matter what I've tried it has not worked over the long haul, maybe we can do this together.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    For me, it is the learned behavior of "feeding" of something emotional. I am quite sure my Mother did it, and I learned it as a young girl. Usually happens when things get frustrating or sad or overwhelming. I know, logically, that eating won't solve the issue. I still do it, but not as often. Maintaining now, so have to keep this behavior few and far between......
  • SheilaShines
    SheilaShines Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've binged. I think this program helps me and I got a fitbit. I'm always tracking everything and I think seeing it on paper helps me control it. Try recording EVERYTHING you eat for a few days. It may help.
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't say I chronic binge, but I've binged before. I'd say the two biggest triggers are boredom and stress. Since sometimes you can't avoid those two feelings, I'd recommend being aware that you may binge at those times. Being aware will help you catch yourself and you can try to convince yourself not to. (where will I be in the future if I keep this up? and other questions like that) And when that does/doesn't work you have rewards/punishments ready for yourself (preferably immediately) after your success/failure.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Would definitely recommend the book Brain over Binge for an interesting perspective. I think it comes down to just not restricting yourself too hard and then reinforcing the habit of not binging, which in tandem can make it easier over time.
  • clarklessk8
    clarklessk8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I find myself continuing to eat even I'm full just because I love having a taste in my mouth. It's really hard to discipline yourself but I'm sure you can do it, I'm here for you
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was a binge eater too. It's a battle. The first step is admitting and acknowledging it (which you've already done, so yeay!!!). The key for me is to not do a restrictive (food or calories) eating plan. I try and eat around 1450 calories a day while also exercising. I find getting enough protein helps me to stay satiated and also stops be from the highs and lows of blood sugar that can send me into a binge. I also got a book to read at night as I find it helps me stay mentally focused on the task at hand and help me deal with the issues underlying my binge eating. Its the binge eating and compulsive overeaters workbook by Carolyn Ross. Best of luck!! You can do this!!
  • Melzine
    Melzine Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a binge eater too and late night eater my hunger pains would wake me and I had to EAT then I could go back to sleep happily full. now I take 3 a day appetite suppressants to help out and drink a EAS protein control carb shake I have lost inches in 6 weeks size 18 to 15 or 16. I will continue until May then change to something else beside appetite suppressants. Mostly health shakes
  • shelby12016
    shelby12016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im actually very surprised how many of you are struggling with the same problem. It's nice knowing your not alone. Feel free to add me!
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You are not alone at all. This site is great for support and healthy tips. You can do this!!!