Emotional Binging

Options
Anyone here tend to eat a lot when feeling sad or stressed? I have lost a lot of weight in the past, but I usually end up gaining it all back.

Anyone have some advice for these feelings?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Go to the store and buy something to make air popped popcorn in and enjoy. No guilt.
    The going on a walk thing, or drinking a lot of water did not work for me.
  • XXcookiepussXX
    XXcookiepussXX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For me, the shift in my emotional eating came after I took a weekly yoga class. It was actually "Yoga for bigger bodies" and my teacher was great. It served as time that I intentionally carved out of my life to de-stress. The first couple classes, I laid on my matt during the last meditative pose and cried silently, letting it all out.

The price of class went up after 6 months, so I made the decision to use the tools I acquired learning to let things go. Not that I am immune to shoving chocolate in my face right before my in-laws come over, but the emotional binges are few and far between these days.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Don't buy food you shouldn't eat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I used to self-soothe with food; now I use exercise. Regular exercise appears to be preventative for me.
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cut your budget.. Surprisingly helps!
  • omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have found that a good amount of the time, whenever I'm feeling sad, I make myself a cup of tea and sit down with my paint, a book, or just watch tv or take a nap... I would feel better than if I binged on food. And binging on food never truly makes us feel better because we end up feeling bad about it later on. Good luck!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You have to either deal with your emotional issues and get them sorted, or do what I do and eat fresh veggies to abundance.

Also playing around with meal timing throughout the day or going for a walk/to the gym is something I find helps sometimes.
  • davidxbolivar
    davidxbolivar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insight everyone!