Wellbutrin issues?

So I'll say right now that I haven't been tracking for the last week. My doctor started me on Wellbutrin in addition to my current SSRI due to my increasing anxiety. I haven't been that hungry and I've also had trouble keeping things down. I'm also (TMI) extremely constipated, to the point that it's seriously uncomfortable. I've basically been surviving on chicken and stars soup, bagels and plain cake doughnuts. Even without tracking, I lost 2 lbs this week. I'm pretty sure it's due to the Wellbutrin and not because I've actually been following my plan.

So - anyone else take Wellbutrin? Are these side effects that will fade over time or will I be stuck with them as long as I'm taking it? I hate to discontinue it because I'm already feeling a difference in my anxiety levels after almost two weeks. But the nausea and the constipation are ridiculous.

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I take it but didn't experience those side effects...maybe call your doctor? I did lose weight quickly for a week or two after starting it, then it stabilized.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    I take it but didn't experience those side effects...maybe call your doctor? I did lose weight quickly for a week or two after starting it, then it stabilized.

Thanks - I've got a call into her, so hopefully, I'll hear back by tomorrow. I was honestly surprised to see a loss this morning because I completely ignored my calorie goals for a trip to Charleston last weekend and I've been waiting for that to catch up to me.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    I take it...my doctor told me one of the side effects is a decreased appetite...
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    I took it for a year or two when I was in my teens and I ended up losing quite a lot of weight over time. It made me sick (a little nauseous, lost appetite) for a couple of weeks due to the overproduction of hormones but once my brain stopped making its own and it relied on the medication for it, I felt much better. That time period will be different for everyone, of course, because bodies are different. My doctor told me that sometimes it is prescribed for its weight loss properties, but I don't know how much I believe that, since I think there might be a lot of other things a medical professional would suggest first. When I got off of it, my appetite came crashing into the room like the Kool-Aid Man...

Anyway...stick with it! The drug got me out of some really tough times and allowed me to put them behind me, so I know it worked for me.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    I used to take it. You need to take it with food.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sometimes, the side effects will do that. i try to eat fiber and stay hydrated.
    it is supposed to cause some weight loss.

I couldn't take it. it gave me vertigo.
  • I just started taking it last week. I started for my anxiety and it takes smoking cravings away COMPLETELY and I was struggling with that. I noticed a loss in appetite but nothing bad and I don't need to smoke at all! so that is HUGE for me
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    I love swellbutrin. They can pry it from my cold, dead hand.

You might be one of those people like me whose anxiety responds well to swellbutrin. For some not insignificant number it makes anxiety worse.

I have been on this med for ~6 years so I don't remember what the start up was like. I can say that whole grains and leafy greens help with constipation as does senna tea if necessary.
  • sherrifoster123
    sherrifoster123 Posts: 21 Member
    I take it and had some side effects early on but now none. And it has been awesome. By the way it had no effect on my appetite except maybe I ate more because my mood was better...lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I take Wellbutrin SR and do not have any side effects. I couldn't tolerate the Wellbutrin XL but don't remember the exact problem - may have been nausea.

I have not had an issue with constipation since taking powdered vitamin C to bowel tolerance.

Do you need to track Sodium and Sugar? How about swapping one of them for fiber? How much fiber are you getting? Not enough fiber (or water) may be contributing to your constipation.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    My Dr. prescribed for me for 2 months as a stop smoking aid. It gave me really bad constipation, but no other side effects. At least I have been tobacco free for 21 months now.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    I took it a few years back and lost quite a bit of weight on it. I'm now off of it and all other drugs and happier for it but that's me.

As far as constipation goes, might I suggest changing your diet. Drink more water, take a probiotic either from yogurt or over the counter and eat more veggies. It should clear up in good time.
  • Panda_brat
    I took it a few years back and lost quite a bit of weight on it. I'm now off of it and all other drugs and happier for it but that's me.

As far as constipation goes, might I suggest changing your diet. Drink more water, take a probiotic either from yogurt or over the counter and eat more veggies. It should clear up in good time.

I have always eaten lots of veggies., and anyways this was almost 2 years ago. I am off it now, and doing fine. Constipation is one of the warnings that comes with the drug. Psyllium husk fiber worked miracles.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    I was actually addressing the OP but I'm glad it going better for you now Panda.

To the OP, if veggies don't work, a probiotic can make the difference. These new drugs in our system can harm the bacterial balance in our guts which causes problems. A probiotic would help heal that.
  • Panda_brat
    I was actually addressing the OP but I'm glad it going better for you now Panda.

To the OP, if veggies don't work, a probiotic can make the difference. These new drugs in our system can harm the bacterial balance in our guts which causes problems. A probiotic would help heal that.

sorry for the confusion.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    You might get good answers from your pharmacist. If you don't hear back from the doctor soon, get in touch with your pharmacy.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member

Thanks - I usually do include a lot of veggies in my diet, just the last week and a half, my diet has been crap because of the nausea. I'll grab a probiotic tomorrow - I also have some fiber powder for water that I'll drink. Things are starting to move again, albeit slowly. I really want to give this medicine a chance so I'll just do my best to get more fiber in.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    I take it for depression, but haven't noticed any side effects. If you cant tolerate it you should talk to your doc about switching. I love it but my therapist thinks im still depressed so i may be coming off of it soon.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    my appetite decreased quite a bit when I was on wellbutrin. it's a pretty common side effect I think. it also gave me really bad tinnitus, and I was just vibrating all the time. literally if I rested my head against a wall I'd feel it vibrating. after 11 weeks there was no sign of any of it lessening never mind going away and I couldn't tolerate it so I weaned off it and got switched to something else. oh, the joys of trial and error in trying to find a tolerable medication.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    I take it for Seasonal Affective Disorder. This is my first year on it, and it's working GREAT for the SAD. I have a few mild side effects, one of which is constipation; doc tells me this is common and that (unfortunately) it's not likely to abate. I get plenty of fiber (30+g a day), water, and exercise, so it's definitely the med. Doc is OK with me taking a single Colace every other night, and a Dulcolax once or twice a week if I need to get things moving. YMMV.