Add calories burned, or strictly 1200 cals?

Options
I have been logging in since the last week of December. I added one cheat day a week, and add the calories burned to my caloric intake each day to afford myself more to eat in a day. I've only lost about 5 lbs, and I've started exercising at home daily. I make sure to add everything consumed, but I don't feel like I am getting anywhere. Does everyone add their calories burned through their fitbit/ pedometer? I'm pretty religious about adding all foods as well. Just getting a bit discouraged.

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    5 pounds since the last week in December is a good amount to lose in 6 weeks. If you don't feel like you're losing enough, skip the cheat day, and just incorporate the things you like into your daily eating. It's generally recommended to eat back about half of the calories you burn from exercise. Are you measuring/ weighing everything you you eat? That can help you realize your portions. The exercise will probably impact your loss in a positive way too. It takes a lot of patience to do this. Hold tight, you'll get there.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You are making good progress.1200 is the minimum for women, and MFP is set up so one does eat back the exercise calories.

Keep eating them back. 50-75% if you are using MFP or an exercise machine's estimations as they overestimate.

As I know none of your stats it is hard to comment further.

Cheers, h.
  • jikijo
    jikijo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look into LCHF/ketogenic diet. 21lb weight loss since the end of November. No regular exercise. I feel great and no longer take diabetes meds because my blood sugar stay very level.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    NEVER A CHEAT DAY!! Only a cheat MEAL! A cheat day throws out a whole weeks worth of hard work. What a waste!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've been eating back most of the calories "burned", and I've lost 10lbs since January 1st, so I'm going to stick with that for now.
  • Mrsrobinson08
    Mrsrobinson08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am 5'4 and started at 137 lbs, and now I'm at 132. A comfortable weight for me is 125. I haven't heard the term of "eating back" your calories burned, but I sure appreciate it and the positive coaching!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @Mrsrobinson08 you are losing well for your stats. The closer you are to your goal weight the harder it is to lose. Your body needs less calories the lighter you are.
    Expect .5lbs a week loss and be happy if it is a little more.

It may be slow but it will come off, honest.

Cheers, h.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been logging in since the last week of December. I added one cheat day a week, and add the calories burned to my caloric intake each day to afford myself more to eat in a day. I've only lost about 5 lbs, and I've started exercising at home daily. I make sure to add everything consumed, but I don't feel like I am getting anywhere. Does everyone add their calories burned through their fitbit/ pedometer? I'm pretty religious about adding all foods as well. Just getting a bit discouraged.

I don't add any calories back in. I work out about 4 days a week maybe 5. It fluctuates based on my schedule. I eat a daily amount and have lost 8 lbs since January 6. I'm curious too about eating back calories. Some days I meet all my macro goals and some days not. Keep up the good work though