when is it time to go see a doctor?

Options
So first off I'm not new to weight-loss through this site I originally lost about 60-70 lbs in 2011 before I joined the Army and I have been really good about staying between 170-200 pound range depending on winter (I was in alaska for 3 years it was understandable to put on some winter pounds). But lately I've just felt like crap no energy always sore, and consuming massive amounts of caffeine to supplement my loss of energy my daily life is taking a toll. I can tell just because things that I used to be on the ball about like keeping my room straight and just everyday things not to mention the scale is creeping up. So I think its time to go see a doctor, but I have no clue what to ask to check for? Do I ask if they can do a blood test, Low T maybe? I have no idea what to even talk about with my doctor but im 24 I should'nt feel this way?

Replies

• ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask it you need to make the appointment. :(
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its time to go when you feel things aren't right.

i dont think low t would be it though. perhaps thyroid or a vitamin deficiency or something like depression
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    its time to go when you feel things aren't right.

i dont think low t would be it though. perhaps thyroid or a vitamin deficiency or something like depression

i know its not depression, I struggled with a little bit of depression in highschool and then with the 6 month winters in alaska and surprisingly I have'nt been in a down mood lately, Ive been relatively happy stressed yes, anxious yes and sad at times but not like i want to sleep all the time like i used to be. But yah so maybe just talk to my doctor and see what she reccomends?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    What is it that you're looking to accomplish? That's the real question. Most doctors will offer some sort of script for something that will either help deter hunger, aid in serotonin levels, help with depression....Ask for a referral to a nutritionist that you can see long term (and it may cost money to do that). Join some sort of support group like Overeaters anonymous - I think they're free - or Weight Watchers.

When I decided that I couldn't do it by myself, that was when I knew it was time to go to a doctor. I went to a Bariatric doctor who specializes in lap band surgery. I still haven't gotten the surgery yet, but I've lost weight, and getting myself back on track. I'm also still seeing a therapist that they recommended.

I am still talking to the lap-band Doctor - I lost 143 pounds and gained back to where I am now - right about 50 pounds lost. I still may end up getting that surgery. But I'm also including my regular "family doctor", my endocrinologist, and my OB/GYN type doctor. This is something I'm doing for my health and they all play their own part in the process and get their input. If someone thinks I'm not on track, or should consider something, I want that input.

I feel like I'm becoming a student to the process....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You describe the symptoms, the doctor comes up with the diagnosis, likely after a physical exam and blood work. Just go.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say everyone gets this but SAD is extremely common this time of year: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/basics/definition/con-20021047
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    See your doctor for a check-up and get a full blood panel done before anything else. The panel will show any deficiencies- Vitamin D (goes hand in hand with SAD, which jessicarobins mentioned above), Vit. B, Thyroid, Testosterone- a full panel should give the doctor a good overall view of your health and then you can go from there. There are so many things that can cause this kind of exhaustion, including deficiencies, depression, even sleep apnea that might be robbing you of necessary rest without you even knowing it. :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    If you have to ask it you need to make the appointment. :(

This Pbz7IGg.jpg
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Take notes and make sure that you are keeping track of all of your symptoms.

It sounds like you need a general physical.

Do you have a metabolic disease which would lead to low T?
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just make an appointment. Your doctor will probably want to run some blood tests. Then depending upon those you go from there. You just explain to your doctor what you explained to us.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Adrenals might be an option to check too; that along with my thyroid not working was my issue and your symptoms sound like mine did. Good luck!
  • yreka20
    yreka20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Had something similar when I was younger, it ended up being sleep apnea. I didn't even know it, but I was not getting a good night sleep so I was exhausted all day. It was to the point I would "sleep" 10 hours per day ,but still need to nap in my car @ work + was always tired, no ambition to do anything ( and I was in shape~! )

Good luck !
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Motrin and water. ;)

Seriously though go to the doc and be open and honest to make sure that they are able to help. I hope you are able to get answers and a solution.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    You need to call the doctor and make an appt. Then you need to stay the heck off of web md so you don't put yourself into a full on panic state from all the absurdly over-reported symptoms on there.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My late husband was a physician who was just 50 when he died. He would suggest that you do see a doctor soon, preferably an internal medicine physician. Tell the doctor what you feel and inform him or her of any changes you've noticed in the last several months. There is no reason for you to suggest what tests, etc. That is why they go to 4 years of medical school and 4 years of residency. A respected and ethical physician will be thorough and efficient and very good at what they do. Also if you don't have a personal physician of your own now that you really like and trust, make an appointment and find one. If you like the doctor and feel totally comfortable, go with that one. If not, keep looking. The first that will be done would be a full blood panel. Then they will go from there. Good luck.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    thanks guys will do!
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Motrin and water. ;)
    Ancient army secret ayyy
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    My late husband was a physician who was just 50 when he died. He would suggest that you do see a doctor soon, preferably an internal medicine physician. Tell the doctor what you feel and inform him or her of any changes you've noticed in the last several months. There is no reason for you to suggest what tests, etc. That is why they go to 4 years of medical school and 4 years of residency. A respected and ethical physician will be thorough and efficient and very good at what they do. Also if you don't have a personal physician of your own now that you really like and trust, make an appointment and find one. If you like the doctor and feel totally comfortable, go with that one. If not, keep looking. The first that will be done would be a full blood panel. Then they will go from there. Good luck.

^This. Do not try to self diagnose. It could be you are just tired, it could be something terribly serious, and everything in between.