Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time?

I've been eating healthy, logging my calories, and making sure I don't go over and i do cardio every single day. I've also been weight training 5 or 6 days a week. I've noticed I have toned up some but haven't noticed much weight lost. Is it possible to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time? Any tips?

Replies

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Yes particularly if you are a newbie. I just got a great blog entry from mfp today on Facebook about this exact topic. Was a good read, but the amount of protein the trainer recommended for someone my size was nuts, like 280 grams. I average about half that...
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    I have been doing this for around 8 weeks now. Same here. And i also have these random hungry days where I'm just starving all day. My appetite has increased alot.
    You should calculate your macros...they are really important for gaining muscle and losing fat.
    There is an online calculator here http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Yes it's very possible to lose fat/gain muscle eating at or around maintenance levels - it's labelled "recomp" these days - short for recomposition.

When I was growing up it was completely mainstream before the formerly niche method of bulk/cut cycles used by bodybuilders spread into the general population.

Tips?
    Eat a healthy/nutritious diet appropriate to your exercise level, train hard, be patient, enjoy your new lifestyle.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes it's very possible to lose fat/gain muscle eating at or around maintenance levels - it's labelled "recomp" these days - short for recomposition.

When I was growing up it was completely mainstream before the formerly niche method of bulk/cut cycles used by bodybuilders spread into the general population.

Tips?
    Eat a healthy/nutritious diet appropriate to your exercise level, train hard, be patient, enjoy your new lifestyle.

What he said.

I was struggling with understanding the exact same thing. If you are eating at a deficit and doing serious weight training you will get an awesome newbie gain and then you will either maintain a slower muscle gain as your body realises it needs muscle because it keeps having to lift these heavy things all the time.
    Eating at a maintenance level it will be like Sijomial said with recomposition.
  • Thank you guys so much! I love how helpful everyone is on here :)