A little confused

Options
kate0707
kate0707 Posts: 13 Member
Wondering if any of you lovely people can help me please. I weight 12.6 and my goal is 10st. I am female 5.4 and work out 4-5 times a week an hour a time doing a mix of HIiT and Strength. If I put in the goal setting on here that I would like to lose 2lb a week it makes my goal 1200kcal a day which seems a little low, how can I work out a more exact amount taking into consideration my exercise? I do however have a desk job five days a week. Does anyone else have similar stats? Thank you!

Replies

• Tomaraki
    Tomaraki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try changing your activity level from sedentary to mildly active. This will allow you more daily calories. If you think this is too high you can manually adjust your daily calorie goal to anyhere between the 1200 calories MFP sets for the sedentary level and the calories set for the mildly active level.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The program doesn't take into consideration your exercise until you add it. It will increase calories once you have worked out. So on days you don't work out 1200, on days you do work out 1200+.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When you enter your exercise it will record the cals burned from your exercise and that will give you the choice of consuming more cals for that day to feed the training work...its up to you how much of the calories burnt on a training day you 'eat' or leave as an additional negative.
  • kate0707
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Do you think 1200
    Is a reasonable amount on a non exercise day considering I am pretty non active? Then I will adjust my cals on my work out days to reflect this.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    kate0707 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Do you think 1200
    Is a reasonable amount on a non exercise day considering I am pretty non active? Then I will adjust my cals on my work out days to reflect this.

With only around 24 pounds to lose, your goal should not be 2 pounds. It's very aggressive with so little to lose, which is probably why your goal is so low (unless you're reaaaally short). You should set your goal to 1 pound a week. And then be accurate with your logging, especially when choosing entries. Log purposeful exercises and start off with eating around 50-75% of those calories to account for inaccuracies.

I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of this forum and the General Diet and Weight Loss Forum. They will help you with understanding how MFP works and how to log accurately, as well as with setting reasonable goals and understanding fluctuations:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For comparison purposes, I'm 5'5" and weigh 208, which means about 90 more pounds to lose. At 1400 calories a day and not much exercise beyond two 1.5-mile dog walks a day, I'm lucky to hit 1 pound a week of loss. At your height and distance from goal, a loss rate of 2 pounds a week would be phenomenal, so it doesn't surprise me a bit that the program is telling you 1200--in fact, I suspect it's set so that it never goes below 1200 in a recommendation, because that seems to be the magic number it considers safe. On the other hand, your relatively vigorous workout schedule will be very helpful.

What you might want to do is try 1200 for a week or so and see what happens. If that leaves you too hungry with all that working out, bump it to 1400 or even 1600 and see what happens there. The chances that you're counting your food or exercise calories with absolute fidelity are pretty slight; the best most of us seem likely to do is hit on a consistent method of counting that allows us to establish a routine that works. It always comes down to the results on the scale and the measuring tape. If you count consistently, you can adjust up or down to produce the loss rate you want, always taking into account that the closer you are to goal, the slower your progress is likely to be in the real world. Guys over six feet who weight 350 lbs. and are doing aggressive training may be able to drop 20 lbs. a month, but that's not 5'4" women who are mildly overweight. Cheer up! Your progress may not be lightning fast, but you don't have that much to lose, either. You'll see, it will come off quickly enough if you stick to a consistent calorie goal and keep working out.
  • kate0707
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice guys really appreciate it, think I will trial 1200 a day for a week and see how I go. You're right I should be more realistic and aim for 1lb a week loss.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Kate - you should also be aware that if you cut your calories too drastically, especially doing HIIT and strenght training (both are high effort exercices!) you might actually throw your body into a reactionary mode where you will gain weight even if you eat less than 1000 calories a day. You might reach your goal sooner and with a lot less frustration if you start slower.

I find I lose more weight if I stick around 1200-1400 than if I only eat 800-1000.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Kate - you should also be aware that if you cut your calories too drastically, especially doing HIIT and strenght training (both are high effort exercices!) you might actually throw your body into a reactionary mode where you will gain weight even if you eat less than 1000 calories a day. You might reach your goal sooner and with a lot less frustration if you start slower.

I find I lose more weight if I stick around 1200-1400 than if I only eat 800-1000.

You can't gain weight from eating less. Your body will adapt and try to hold on to everything, but if you consistently eat to little, you will still lose weight. The difference is, you'll start losing muscle mass.

@kate0707 you might try looking at other online calorie calculators as well. Enter your stats the same way in 3-4 of them, and see what it says. They should all be close, and then you can just take the average and enter that as a custom goal in MFP.
  • kate0707
    Options
    Good idea I will take a look at other online tools.
  • organic_homestead
    organic_homestead Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @Kate0707 I am in the same boat! I have an office job (I just got a sit/stand desk so now I stand more than sit!), strength train, run and a mix of yoga and HIIT.

I joined my office's Weight Loss Challenge and every weigh-in I'm going up! It's driving me crazy! Both weight and body fat are creeping up. I've been tracking my food for six days, so I'm still new here. Over the past five days I've averaged 1327 calories in and 2265 calories out per day. It seems I should be seeing a reduction.

Last year I began following an Atkins/Keto diet. My hubby and I really liked it and I had great results. I lost 16lbs and 6" (3 dress sizes). With a hip injury and the holidays I did gain about 4lbs back. I'd like to lose another 10; but mostly wanting to bring my body fat percentage down.

At first I had adjusted my macros myself to match an Atkins diet; but today when I changed my profile from lightly active to sedentary I wanted to see what MFP would suggest. I just can't see myself eating over 100g of carbs a day! And the sodium count is insane!

But I'm wondering if I should change up my macros in order to get body fat down. Can anyone share their macro % for me to try? I just don't like MFP's standard.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Kate0707 I am in the same boat! I have an office job (I just got a sit/stand desk so now I stand more than sit!), strength train, run and a mix of yoga and HIIT.

I joined my office's Weight Loss Challenge and every weigh-in I'm going up! It's driving me crazy! Both weight and body fat are creeping up. I've been tracking my food for six days, so I'm still new here. Over the past five days I've averaged 1327 calories in and 2265 calories out per day. It seems I should be seeing a reduction.

Last year I began following an Atkins/Keto diet. My hubby and I really liked it and I had great results. I lost 16lbs and 6" (3 dress sizes). With a hip injury and the holidays I did gain about 4lbs back. I'd like to lose another 10; but mostly wanting to bring my body fat percentage down.

At first I had adjusted my macros myself to match an Atkins diet; but today when I changed my profile from lightly active to sedentary I wanted to see what MFP would suggest. I just can't see myself eating over 100g of carbs a day! And the sodium count is insane!

But I'm wondering if I should change up my macros in order to get body fat down. Can anyone share their macro % for me to try? I just don't like MFP's standard.

How are you tracking your food? Are you weighing EVERYTHING except water? The common cause for what you're describing is inaccurate tracking of food. It's very easy to do, I think that's one of the hardest things to learn to do correctly because it is a pain to do, and makes meal prep take much longer. But once you get used to doing it, it's less intrusive and can help you learn how to more accurately judge portion sizes, which will help in the long run.

You could also be overestimating your calories out. Don't rely on gym machines or MFP to give you an accurate calories burned from exercise. They use generic stats for calculation, which can be WAAAAYY off for some people. If you really want to know, get a heart rate monitor and do the calculations for yourself. Or, and activity tracker with a HRM. It won't be 100% accurate, but it'll be much closer than MFP.
  • organic_homestead
    organic_homestead Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do have the FitBit ChargeHR so that is where I got my CO numbers. I currently don't weigh my food, but I have measured my food in the past so I feel like I have a good idea of what a 1/2 cup and 1/4 is. I try to overestimate my portions a bit knowing I'm not exact. But you're probably right, I'm not tracking properly.

I did great last year and I wasn't tracking anything! But I'm also thinking that maybe my results were later whereas with this team challenge, we're on a deadline...only 8 weeks!

I do use a tape measure and I know how my clothes fit. And normally I'm not weighing myself every week. I think that has really thrown me mentally! I'll see how everything evens out after the challenge when I go back to using my own scales and weighing myself first thing in the morning on an empty bladder!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kate0707 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the advice guys really appreciate it, think I will trial 1200 a day for a week and see how I go. You're right I should be more realistic and aim for 1lb a week loss.

OP, I agree, change your goal to 1 lb per week, and then eat back half your exercise calories. If some days you end up eating a little less, that's great, but losing weight fast when you don't have much to lose can result in more muscle loss than you would want. And you'll be less likely to burn out. I would chew off my arm if tried 1200! As a point of comparison, I'm 43, 5'4", 130 lbs, and I was eating @ 1600 to lose half a pound per week. And even then I had some days where I couldn't do it and ate a little more. It was slow, but it was painless :)

Good luck!