Work/walking

Options
Ok so I work retail as a cashier. In my exercise if I work 8 hours then I would put I walked 3 hours. Would that be accurate? I do walk the sure some plus bagging items and things like that. So on my work out I would have 3 hours walking and like 30 min cleaning? Would that be accurate?

Replies

• Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    I work in day care/summer camp, so I'm walking a lot. I just put my activity level one notch higher instead of trying to worry about exactly how much I walked. That will give you extra calories to eat that you've most likely burned off while working.
  • caroline150
    caroline150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but your activity level should reflect what you do for work, not your exercises.

Good luck!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you have your activity level set correctly you shouldn't be logging walking at work at all - your activity level is supposed to refelct how active you are in general day to day, which includes what you are doing at work :)
  • KittMahan
    KittMahan Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree. Normal routine should be set by activity level. Walking outside of the routine should be logged as exercise.

I can tell you from experience that if you eat all your "bonus calories" and have your activity level set too low, you wont get the results you're looking for.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yep, I too would go into settings and put my activity at 'active' and see how that goes. If it turns out to be too much or too little after a few weeks, you can always change it. I always look at MFP as more of a guideline and follow the 'whatever works best for you is how you should do it.' rule. Try it your way and see or try it another way and see. Good luck!
  • Jgmclendon
    Jgmclendon Posts: 11
    Options
    To all the smart butt ppl, I dont work every day. So my activity level is set a notch under my work activity so I do log in my exercise at work.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    To all the smart butt ppl, I dont work every day. So my activity level is set a notch under my work activity so I do log in my exercise at work.

No need to be rude, you didn't explain your situation fully so people made the logical assumption that you didn't know work walking was already accounted for in activity level.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Wow, thanks for making me laugh.

You asked for advice & got it. Only you know the specifics of your situation.

To answer your original question, I've found I had better success when I set my activity level to reflect my daily work walking (even if it was only 5 days out of the week). When I set my activity level lower and try to log the walks, I didn't have as much success.
  • dulcy
    dulcy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    People here want to help you:flowerforyou: . Best give them the full situation to get the best answers. EVERYONE here is on your side. We're all in the same boat. No one is trying to be smart
  • Mahhafooznit
    Mahhafooznit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am not a champion at getting fit or anything. but I would not log the walking at work as seperate workout
    sessions because your not actually walking 20+ minutes straight. sure you may be walking 1-2 hours in your
    shift but those are 2 minutes here. 2 minutes there. not continious to keep your heart rate up. I think thats
    why people are saying increase your activity level and not input walk time daily.

Maybe on days that are the exception though. Like black friday sale. Xmas sale where you dont stop for
    breaks period because whole shift is get up and go. then maybe just add it as light walking because
    its still walking at work and when you have stress of work added to walking. You may not be getting all
    the benefits you would be while walking when your focusing on walking.