Help! Need to survive pancake dat

Options
Dreven1989
Dreven1989 Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I always said to myself, even when dieting I would never be a kill joy. So the girlfriend wants to celebrate pancake day with crepes for dinner, any tips to help me keep under my calories and survive this random holiday.

Any tips much appreciated.

Replies

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    What do you usually have on your pancakes? You could try switching sugar and syrup for fruit, or even make savoury pancakes with a vegetable filling. Personally though I'm just going to enjoy them with lemon and sugar and not worry about the calories - I'm usually full after three anyway so it's not a massively high calorie meal.

And don't forget - if you overdo it today you can always give up pancakes for lent :D
  • victoria1009413
    victoria1009413 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made banana pancakes for my partner, they are great and with only two ingredients were diet friendly for me! I topped mine with some agave nectar and berries to keep them fairly low calorie - http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-2-ingredient-banana-pancakes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-218658
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A lot comes down to what you will use on top of the pancake or crepe, plus on serving size.
    Depending on whether you are doing savoury or sweet, some low cal fillings/toppings could be mushrooms, spinach, grilled chicken, topped with a small amount of cheese or garlic butter, or fresh fruit or fruit in light syrup topped with a few nuts or chocolate sprinkles. Obviously there are many more combinations you could come up with, these are my usual go to ideas. As long as you do not use half a bottle of syrup or a small mountain of cheese and bacon, pancakes and crepes do not have to be calorie-heavy.
    One of my favourite breakfasts when I have enough time to prepare it is pancakes cooked in a non-stick skillet with just a hint of oil, topped with fresh berries and lightly drizzled with maple syrup. It is both filling, tasty and since most of the volume comes from the berries, definitely low cal.
  • Dreven1989
    Options
    I never even thought of a savoury pancake, chicken and pancake sounds quite nice.
  • Sbelcner
    Sbelcner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1 day wo n t kill u. Lol. Maybe do some shakes for breakfast and lunch that day? The new slim fast advanced has 20g protein, 5g fiber, 1g carbs 1g sugar. They taste awesome and do keep u full. I am horrible about skipping meals so have started drinking one for breakfast on the way to dropping son at school. I occasionally do one at lunch if I'm too busy to take a lunch. Only 160 calories.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Dreven1989 wrote: »
    I never even thought of a savoury pancake, chicken and pancake sounds quite nice.

If you make them thin, like crepes, savoury crepes are a very common main meal, e.g. served with a side dish of salad. Just google it and the recipes are endless. If you do google, do not blame me if you fall in love with a 1000 cal per serving recipe though :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,631 Member
    Options
    You can check out no flour pancakes... or just have them with sucralose syrop, fresh fruit instead of syrop, or even eggs and ham.... limit quantity to something reasonable.... you can get out of there at 1/3 to 1/2 your day's calories...
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, is pancake day something unique to us Brits or do you have it in other parts of the world too? I mean it's one of the best holidays :p
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I second the banana pancake suggestion. Two eggs and a banana for the batter and a tiny bit of coconut oil for cooking in a non-stick pan will make a nice little stack. They taste great! Chop strawberries on top and drizzle a tiny bit of syrup over them. Tastes a lot more indulgent than it actually is :)
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Have one nice one becareful what you have on it and what it's cooked in
    Tbh I'm like that all or nothing as I know once I start having anything I don't stop so I need to train myself to have a treat them back to plan only way it'll work long term
    So enjoy just becareful
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday. Many cultures celebrate with pancakes or donuts.

ETA: The quote didn't come through. That was in response to the OP's "random Holiday" comment.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I am the traditional lemon, sugar, butter, thin, and rolled up,English pancake type even though I am in Canada now. N American pancakes would be just wrong today.
    I am home alone so they will be breakfast lunch and dinner. :)

It is not as big here as in the UK, not talked about much at all.

Cheers, h.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,631 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it! However banana pancake has been tested and is perfectly fine :smile:
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    OK, so I'm assuming those who have never heard of it are either
    a) not catholic, or
    b) from cultures who celebrate in a different way.
    I am assuming you've all heard of Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is also Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday. Day before Ash Wednesday, the start of Catholic Lent.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OMG it's pancake day

:bigsmile:

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    theres a day for pancakes?

breakfast here i come ......

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    no you need crepes
    with lemon and sugar
    or maple syrup
    or banana, strawberrries, nutella and cream
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I'll be over to yours @rabbitjb. I will bring @callsitlikeiseeit for educational feeding.

Cheers, h.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I'll be over to yours @rabbitjb. I will bring @callsitlikeiseeit for educational feeding.

Cheers, h.

i halve already made plans for a rather large breakfast after the gym LOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • Dreven1989
    Options
    One crepe with bananas and strawberries and one with garlic chicken should see me through the day. Thank you everyone. I know one day wont ruin the week but I'm an all or nothing kind of dieter.