Kung Fu Panda Lunch Box (w/Pics and Recipes)

Options
RillSoji
RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
I love cartoons probably more than any adult should. And I don't have any kids to use as an excuse for watching all the new cartoon movies that come out! Recently my husband and I went to see Kung Fu Panda 2. I loved the first one and the second one was just as good. I was laughing through the whole thing!

But as I watched I couldn't help but think about how Po, the panda, loves to eat. And they show that a lot throughout both movies. So it got me thinking that I could totally make a Kung Fu Panda lunch box using foods from the movie! And I still managed to keep it within my acceptable calorie range! That's saying something for asian food. ~_^

In the center is a panda made of rice and nori, surrounded by radishes. Then we have a peach from the Sacred Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom. In the corner is a mini Bean Bun. Then we have some of Monkey's Almond Cookies. Got It Dumplings and Daddy Goose's Noodles finish off the box. I'm quite proud of this one!

249663_2150971175031_1268916663_32616001_666415_n.jpg

2 Servings (1 pictured) | 530 Calories

2 Peaches
1/2 cup Cooked White Rice
2 Medium-Small Peaches
6 Radishes
1/2 cup Broccoli Florets
2 Mini Bean Buns (Recipe Below)
6 Mini Almond Cookies (Recipe Below)
1 Serving Daddy Goose's Noodles, divided (Recipe Below)
2 Servings Got It Dumplings (Recipe Below)

Divide and arrange ingredients as show above.

Bean Buns (230 calories ea; 8 servings)
1 can Red Kidney Beans
2 1/3 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
8 Packets Stevia Extract in the Raw
1 tsp Salt
1/2 Tbl Powdered Milk
2 tsp Yeast
2/3 cup Warm Water
1/4 cup Egg Substitute
1/4 cup Butter

Open the can of beans and pour into a pot. Add 2 cups of water then bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 hour. Meanwhile, add yeast to warm water and let dissolve. In a mixer with dough hook, add flour, 6 packets of stevia, salt, powdered milk, egg substitute, butter and the water/yeast. Turn on the mixer and let knead for 10 minutes. Remove from the mixer and place in a bowl. Let rise in a warm moist place for 1 hour.

Drain the beans then add them to a food processor and puree until smooth. Put them back in the pot over medium heat. Stir in two packets of stevia. Keep stirring constantly until the beans become thick and paste-like. Remove from heat.

Place a sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Divide the dough into equal portions roughly the size you want them to be. (I made 7 plus 2 smaller buns for the box). Stretch the dough out into a roughly circle shape (think mini pizza!) Add a generous spoonful of the bean paste to the center then pinch closed and form into a ball. Place seam side down on the baking sheet, allowing plenty of room for them to double in size without touching each other. Repeat for remaining dough. Cover and let rise again in a warm place for 30 min - 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat the bean balls with an egg wash or lightly spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle seasame seeds on top if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Monkey's Mini Almond Cookies (112 Calories/3 Cookies | 8 servings)
6 packets Stevia Extract in the Raw
1/4 cup Butter
2/3 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
30 Whole Almonds
1 tsp Almond Extract
1/4 cup Egg Substitute

Preheat oven to 375° F. Mix together butter and stevia powder. Add egg and mix again. Using a food processor, grind up a handful of the almond, about 6-8 of them. Add the flour, ground almonds and almond extract to the butter and mix well. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Scoop out a generous teaspoon of the cookie dough. Form into a small patty about the size of a half dollar. Lay on the wax paper then press one almond into the center of the cookie. Repeat for rest of the dough, placing cookies 1" apart. Bake for 6-8 minutes. (Use a tiny dollop of frosting if needed to make the center almonds stick better after the cookies have cooled.) Makes 24 mini cookies.

Daddy Goose's Noodles (200 Calories | 2 servings)
2 oz Spaghetti Noodles, cooked
1/2 cup Bean Sprouts
1 Medium Carrot
1 cup Cabbage, chopped
2 Green Onions
1 Tbl Garlic, minced
1 tsp Peanut Oil
1 tsp Canola Oil
1 Tbl Soy Sauce, Low Sodium

Using a potato peeler, completely shave the carrot. Slice green onions on an angle. Add all ingredients to a saute pan and cook for 5-8 minutes over medium high heat.

Got It Dumplings (90 Calories | 2 servings)
2 oz Lean Ground Turkey Meat
1/2 cup Mixed Veggies
4 Quarter-sheets Rice Paper

Puree the vegetables then cook the veggies and ground meat until meat is no longer pink. Cook the rice paper according to package instructions. Divide the meat mixture and place inside the rice paper. Roll up dumpling style.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    That is cool!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Every thing sounds and looks great.
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    very cute and creative:flowerforyou:
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    OMG I LOVE THIS!!!! This is too cute and I LOVE Kung Fu Panda. I'm so gonna try these :)
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Very cute! Nicely done.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    oh how cute! u r a natural bento pro!
  • JustGillian
    Options
    Oh My Lord! I love this.
  • Vendetta2300
    Options
    This is the most awesome thing I have seen. Ever!!

You obviously prepared for awesomeness :laugh:

I love cartoons too. Always have, always will :love:
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    how adorable you should submit this to cutefood.com