Can't stop snacking!

Options
Hi everyone. I started my journey back in July and I am now 9 pounds from my goal. I'm stuck! I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I've gone off my plan and even though I am near tears and angry at myself everyday for being off, I just keep on sabotaging myself. I'll have a great day and then once everyone is in bed I turn into a snacking machine! I have lost all motivation and yet at the same time I'm terrified that I'm going to gain it all back. Why isn't my fear motivation enough??? I've done so well, why can't I get back on track??

Replies

• VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been there too.

I think the only way is to just not do it. I know that sounds too easy but if you can hold off snacking and make a little progress the momentum will return.
  • kimmy1129
    kimmy1129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's important that you realize hat you are sabotaging yourself. You need to ask yourself WHY??? Maybe talk to a friend or therapist. Also, try to cut out sugar. My late night snack cravings have almost become elimated if I avoid sugar during the day. Not exactly sure why but it works. You got this ! You ARE worthy of this !
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe your are restricting too much. With 9 pounds to lose, set goal weight loss to .5 pound per week.
  • CallistoQuinn
    CallistoQuinn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty common to lose motivation when you're close to goal. Is there anything you can do to shake up your routine? A new form of exercise, go to sleep earlier, keep only fruit on hand for snacking? Do something fun that doesn't involve food to try and break that cycle of falling off the wagon and self blame.
  • mlarellano16
    mlarellano16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I started my journey back in July and I am now 9 pounds from my goal. I'm stuck! I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I've gone off my plan and even though I am near tears and angry at myself everyday for being off, I just keep on sabotaging myself. I'll have a great day and then once everyone is in bed I turn into a snacking machine! I have lost all motivation and yet at the same time I'm terrified that I'm going to gain it all back. Why isn't my fear motivation enough??? I've done so well, why can't I get back on track??

• mlarellano16
    mlarellano16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Focus on you portions. For example 3 oz of chicken, 2 oz of vegetables ( 2 oz of cooked beets) drink 16 glasses of water. Make sure meats are only 3oz for your meals at least evey other day.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem so changed my settings to maintenance. That gave me more calories. I'm now in the process of eating larger, regular, meals and cutting back on snacking. I was also on track since July but lost some focus after Christmas. I'm going slowly, just so I get back into my previous good habits.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. And I have no idea why. I do think we become so comfortable with old habits that they don't go away easily. I know how frustrated you are and it should get easier but it doesn't please feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • KandieCarmella
    KandieCarmella Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds absolutely crazy but u need water. Typically late night cravings are caused by dehydration of some sort... Drink a big glass of lemon water and hold off for 30 min. If ur still hungry try eating a brown rice cake with peanut butter and some more water. Then occupy urself
  • TallBetsy
    TallBetsy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My successful strategies to eliminate after dinner snacking are:
    1) Don't buy the tempting foods-get them out of the house if you can. Keep some apples around.
    2) If there are tempting foods-even if "healthy", make sure they are out of sight so they are not a visual trigger.
    3) Engage in an after dinner activity that you can indulge in that doesn't involve food-do you enjoy crafts, a hot bath, reading a book, writing letters.... Something you can substitute helps to break addictions/patterns.
    4) I use a Swiss Miss sugar free instant hot chocolate to warm me up and stave off cravings after dinner (25 cal)
    5) Ask yourself--if this were broccoli/carrots would I as eager to eat it? No, then you know you're not hungry.
    6) If you drink wine/beer in the evening, make sure it isn't disinhibiting your resolve. It can lower your defenses.
    7) Don't beat yourself up--rather, own your success. PLAN for success by the above steps and others. Start thinking at night how you are looking forward to weighing in or exercising in the morning. You can even do stretching at night before bed.
    GOOD LUCK! You can do this!!!
  • Sherbear715
    Sherbear715 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas! Thanks!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Fear isn't a motivator. You need to take an honest look at why YOU want to lose weight. The reason doesn't have to be 'to get healthy'. That wasn't mine. Once you find that reason, you'll be much more likely to stay on track.

As for snacking, I'm a habit snacker. Meaning when I start munching on something, it's usually when I'm at the computer or reading and I don't realize how much I'm actually eating! What I had to do is keep chips and other snacking things out of the house. Now, I don't say 'i can't have them'. But having them out of sight means I won't go for them out of habit. If I really want chips, I go down to the gas station and buy a small bag. That way, I get the snack I want but I won't end up eating 10 servings because I'm not paying attention.

So start with banishing foods you snack on from the house. When you feel like snacking, find a hobby the requires your hands and do that. If you're still wanting to eat after an hour or so, then grab something. And if you really want chips or cookies or whatever, go to the store and buy a SMALL package, single serve if they have it. You get a treat, and it's a manageable amount of calories to fit into your day.

Another thing you can do is plan to have X# of calories available for snacking. Plan that you're going to want to snack on something, and take that into account when you plan your day. Something like "i'm always hungry around 4pm, so I'll delegate 200 calories for that time period to grab a snack". If you don't grab a snack, you're ahead for the day. And if you don't have the snack then, you'll have those 200 calories for a snack later. Learn to recognize your patterns and when your body wants to eat, and adjust your calories accordingly. It takes a while, but once you get that settled, you'll have an easier time staying on track.
  • Sherbear715
    Sherbear715 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally get the out of sight out of mind idea but I have two teenagers in the house so it's not fair to them to never have any treats in the house. I've been through 6 months of having treats around and doing fine, I've just fallen off track and I'm having trouble getting back on. If I don't have treats in the house I'm such a dedicated snacker that I'd still find something to snack on to put me over my calorie limit for the day!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Perhaps you can just plan the snacking, go for a walk instead or do what my PT used to do and imagine there is dog poop all over the junk food! Like, REALLY imagine it. Runny, smelly, disgusting dog poo. He said that it helped him stop snacking at events. Gross, but it does work!
    The other thing I do, besides drink tons of no-calorie caffeine free tea, is imagine all the food I can eat the next day. I benefit from not keeping those foods in the house, and you could enforce that in your home and make the kids have healthy snacks only. They can always have treats at school or the movies, etc. Might be tough at first but it's a great habit for them to form now before their metabolism starts to slow in their 20s and they pack on the pounds. (Like me.)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I totally get the out of sight out of mind idea but I have two teenagers in the house so it's not fair to them to never have any treats in the house. I've been through 6 months of having treats around and doing fine, I've just fallen off track and I'm having trouble getting back on. If I don't have treats in the house I'm such a dedicated snacker that I'd still find something to snack on to put me over my calorie limit for the day!

Maybe, maybe not. They can always have snacks outside the house, and as long as they only bring in one serving/bag/package and finish it that day, I don't see it as a problem. Explain WHY you're doing it, they're old enough to understand.
  • hcjo222
    hcjo222 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Snack away, just have healthy snacks. Fill up on some good ol fruit and vegetables.