Help... no idea where to start

Options
peanut_rulez
peanut_rulez Posts: 2 Member
Hi, just downloaded this app. I'm rather unhealthy and was wondering if you guys could share some recipes with me. I have no idea what I'm doing

Replies

• lcnoel13
    lcnoel13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has been a life-saver for me! There are so many healthy recipes!!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Take a look at skinnytaste.com. I have never made anything on there that wasn't great!

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Eating well also has some great recipes and very healthy. They are some of our family favorites.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com, yummly.com, pinterest.com etc... there is a thousand websites in which you can search for recipes for the foods you like to eat and learn to cook them. And as far as you have no idea what you are doing? Is this related to cooking or counting calories?

I would have no idea what kind of recipes to put out her as the only I know about you from your profile is that you are 25 year old female.

Do you currently cook? What do you like? etc....

If you have a crockpot, then there is a thread here on MFP that has been going on for years in which people have been submitting to it and also MFP has a section called Recipe Swap..

Do a search on MFP, you might just find some things searching around her as well.
  • KatieAwesome627
    KatieAwesome627 Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    eatthismuch.com is pretty awesome. You can put it your stats; age, weight, height, ect, and how much you want to lose and it generates meals for you based on that. You can also choose how many meals per day you want/leave out things you don't want to eat/it's free.

It's been great for me because I hate trying to decide what to eat every day. It makes me happy.
  • peanut_rulez
    peanut_rulez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great thanks I'll check out some of these websites. I have no idea about how to calorie count. I cook but have a busy lufe so need stuff that will stay fresh for lunches and easy quick meals for tea.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First, read labels. I had a friend who didn't and couldn't understand why she wasn't losing. A can of soup is 2 servings not one. So that's one of my best ideas.

Don't get overwhelmed. It can be stressful. Just do your best. Log as accurate as possible.

If you eat something on a regular basis, use the quick tool and create it as a meal. That way the next time you have it, you can go to your meals, select it and bam everything is there. Cuts down on logging each item.

Make small goals. Instead of looking at the big picture of losing for example 50 pounds, break it down into 5 pound increments. It's more rewarding to reach milestones.

If you eat out, check out nutrition online. If the restaurant doesn't have one, find a place very similar.

Great ways of helping is to bake or roast your meats and vegetables. Substitute things like 2% cheese for whole milk. Nonstick cooking spray is my friend.

And most of all, if you have one bad day or slip, pick up and move on. Don't give up. You're human! It's going to happen. No one is perfect. It takes more strength to stay on track then giving up.

When you get a feel for the app, invest in a food scale. This allows you to log the item more accurately.

Good luck!
  • VanessaLynn37
    VanessaLynn37 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a large family (4 kids) and we generally eat healthy... However, all I do is alter my dinners. Example: last night I grilled Italian sausage. They had sausage and pepper sandwiches with a side of mixed veggie stir fry. I had the exact same thing, but my "bread" was a zucchini boat! Cut out sugar as much as possible, and yes, your biggest source of sugar, unfortunately, is bread.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light has great recipes too.

My advice, don't eliminate anything (to lose weight) that you do not intend to eliminate for a lifetime....I still eat bread.

I add veggies to everything. Mac & Cheese with cauliflower mixed in = lower calories for the same serving size. Find ways to include your favorites......just tweak them a little.
  • beckyhauser
    beckyhauser Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was overwhelmed and I consider myself to be really healthy.. so take it slow and just start educating yourself. Little changes will start to add up to be BIG changes

If you can find /afford a nutritionist to help you determine what your calorie intake should be each day, it will make your food choices, meal planning and just general dailey eating make so much sense. I went years eating totally healthy food, but was eating too much of it. So, figuring out calorie intake to reach your goal is a big first step.

Probably the biggest basic eye opening experience is to read the labels of food and see what an actual serving size is. Is shocking.

Oprah currently has a commercial for weight watchers saying how much she loves bread and how she gets to eat it everyday while losing weight. I agree!! Having a lifestyle where you don't remove foods but just alter your portion control will allow for a long successful weight-loss journey.

Stay on this website. There is so much information here. As for recipes.. I love skinnytaste, cooking light and recipes from MFP blog. You can search them when you are trying to add food into your diary on MFP. Makes logging food much easier!

You. Can. Do. This.