exercising doesn't promote weight loss??????

Options
2»

Replies

• ImWithHer
    ImWithHer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The more exercise you do, the more fit you'll be. If you incorporate weight-bearing exercise into your routine, you'll have less body fat and more lean muscle mass in your body. Muscles tend to burn more calories even at rest, not to mention moving around doing stuff. So the easy answer to your question is Eating is the best way to lose weight, but RIGHT way to answer your question is that exercising is the best way to be fit and keep the weight off and look good while doing so.
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Anecdotes are not science, and the science says no. Exercise and fitness have many health benefits, but the difference between two groups in actual weight lost is negligible. I recommend this video from healthcare Triage for a better understanding of why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCtn4Ap8kDM and this one for why you should still do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBBjynBpSw. Both are by Dr. Aaron E. Carroll, MD, MS a Professor of Pediatrics and the Associate Dean for Research Mentoring at Indiana University School of Medicine.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is the study that all the most recent articles saying this are about:
    cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(15)01577-8

It basically says that the amount of energy your body will burn plateaus at a certain point, and that continuing to do more and more high intensity exercise won't help you burn more calories. It also says, the "total energy expenditure was positively correlated with physical activity, but the relationship was markedly stronger over the lower range of physical activity."
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had a similar reaction when my trainer first told me, "Don't exercise for weight loss. Disassociate the two in your mind. I can give you 1,000 reasons to exercise, but weight loss will never be one of them."

It's actually really helped me. Not having to worry about the fact that skipping a workout is going to wreck my diet has been rather liberating. Oddly enough, I think I skip fewer workouts knowing this fact, too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, exercising allows me to eat more. I prelog my food for the day every morning and 9 times out of 10 I'm in the red. So exercising puts me back in the green by the end of the day.
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is more than just 'losing weight'.

Your overall health will benefit massively from doing regular exercise that suits you. It can help tone your body as you lose weight so you have overall better fitness. It's a no brainer for me.