Advice for long-term discipline?

Options
My weight-lose cycle goes like this: I decide one day that I'm disgusted and have had enough so I begin to log what I eat and exercise consistently (I'm generally active, but I push it up to a higher level). During this 1-2 month period, I am incredibly happy and other than the initial 24-48 hours of this new phase, it seems so easy to stay disciplined. In fact, it's almost impossible to imagine that I'd ever go back to the old ways of noshing on ice cream and sweets all evening or that I'd make excuses for not going to the gym. However, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me, my thoughts always start to move toward the idea that a little sweet here or there in the evening won't hurt, or gee, I'm kind of sick of that exercise class, I'll skip it today. During that phase, my weight is still stable so I don't really have any negative feedback to change those thoughts. It's like I can eat a little sweet here and there or begin to skip my exercise classes and yet my weight is fine. Then, like a slowly turning ship, I progress toward more and more sweets. Sometimes I feel like my brain tricks me once I get within range of my goals. Sometimes I feel like I need to cut out sugar from my life because I can't handle just a little. Advice??

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1. It is possible you are being overly restrictive and making it harder than it needs to be. There IS nothing wrong with eating the foods you like in moderation, as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal. Make sure your goals are realistic and you aren't forcing unnecessary rules that use up your will power.
    2. Try to focus on learning healthy habits. Getting into a routine of logging your food, pre-planning meals, building exercise into your day-to-day regular life. The reason daily tasks like brushing your teeth or washing the dishes happen isn't because they are fun but because they are a habit. Your brain builds little pathways that make tasks like that just happen whether you're motivated or not.
    3. Batch-prepping ingredients, pre-planning meals, and pre-logging my days has personally helped me a lot.

Not sure if that is the kind of thing you are looking for, but hope it helps. Good luck!
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem so gonna follow this.
  • samiramom
    samiramom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Goingsunny, this is a great post and one that I am struggling with myself. When I need to turn on the heat, I can but once I reach my goal, I pull back some. I find that while I may allow for certain foods, what I don't do is skip exercise. I strive for 5...and if I miss a class then I need to make it up...period. I like at it as a truly a lifestyle. I tend to have a "maintenance/float" range lower than my true goals to help me stay within my goals. For example, I want to be at 138 so my goal is 133 and as long as I am within 133 - 136, I'm okay but once I get to 137, then that's not okay. I hope this helps!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I (write slowly and) replied to this while you removed your original post - in case you didn't go back to check, I'll just spam it out here too:

Don't try to change too many things, too much, too quickly.

Plan your meals. Eat food you like. Make room for treats regularly. Or if you don't really care for sweets, don't buy them, they are not essential.

Make exercise part of your daily life. You decide how; I walk a lot.

Weigh yourself every day.

Pick up a calculator. Estimate how many days you'll reasonably need to lose the weight you want to lose (take into account the loss slowing down as you approach goal weight, and that weight loss is not linear and not 100% predictable, this is just a way to train your brain). Look at a calendar and find which day that would be. Mark that date in the calendar. Tell yourself this: if I follow my plan every day, at that date I will be at goal weight.

Then the hard work begins. Maintenance is not for the pusillanimous :#
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Following this post because I am the same way!! I start off doing GREAT but then I allow myself a little break and then the next thing I know I am completely off track and back where I started. I can't seem to STAY focused. Actually that is a bit of a motto for me this year -- focus on yourself.

Right now I am basically doing what kimny72 has listed above. It does help a lot, and when I catch myself slipping away I return to the basics and "check-in" with myself. I still lose some time but it's the only thing so far that is helping me get back on track, before I go back into old habits completely.

Oh! I should totally mention TEA! I've never really been a tea drinker but I got some awesome tea for Christmas (brand: David's Tea) and when I am looking for a treat or feeling a craving I've been making myself a cup of tea. It has helped me SO MUCH!!!! I'm actually a bit obsessed with tea now. Plus it helps with my water intake, something I still am working on.

Good luck! Stay Focused!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    In reading your story, I cant say that I dont have the same feelings. Where I branch off and go a different direction though is whereas I might want to skip a class/gym, I still go because I always feel much better when I am finished. Either that or I find another activity and the 1-2 month activity starts over again.
  • Goingsunny
    Goingsunny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of the maintenance/float range suggested by samiramom. I have also found drinking tea in the evening helps a lot, although many things help while I'm on the high of losing weight and being excited about the new lifestyle change. Today is the first day of another beginning for me, so I'm going to reach out to this community when my brain starts to tell me that it's okay not to go to exercise class or that I just want to eat what I want to eat. Thanks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

-Know your WHY. Why are you doing this? What is your goal? Remember it every day
    -Don't over restrict when it comes to food. You don't need to do a 360, you need to be in an energy deficit-and that can mean having a cookie here or there.
    -Have a plan for when you "fall off the wagon". If you have a bad moment, bad day-what are you going to do?
    -Don't pick an aggressive deficit you can't adhere to. Losing two pounds per week sounds so lovely, but if you only last three weeks-was that an optimal goal for you? No.
    -Move more but don't think you need to become a marathon runner over night. Add in activity here or there, and do things you enjoy. Yes-maybe one type of exercise burns more calories than say...Zumba. But if you hate HIIT and will only do it once per week, or end up skipping it, but you love Zumba and you can do it every day or 3 times per week, that's obviously a better choice for you.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You just described my life!
  • FussFreeFitness
    FussFreeFitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Goingsunny wrote: »
    My weight-lose cycle goes like this: I decide one day that I'm disgusted and have had enough so I begin to log what I eat and exercise consistently (I'm generally active, but I push it up to a higher level). During this 1-2 month period, I am incredibly happy and other than the initial 24-48 hours of this new phase, it seems so easy to stay disciplined. In fact, it's almost impossible to imagine that I'd ever go back to the old ways of noshing on ice cream and sweets all evening or that I'd make excuses for not going to the gym. However, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me, my thoughts always start to move toward the idea that a little sweet here or there in the evening won't hurt, or gee, I'm kind of sick of that exercise class, I'll skip it today. During that phase, my weight is still stable so I don't really have any negative feedback to change those thoughts. It's like I can eat a little sweet here and there or begin to skip my exercise classes and yet my weight is fine. Then, like a slowly turning ship, I progress toward more and more sweets. Sometimes I feel like my brain tricks me once I get within range of my goals. Sometimes I feel like I need to cut out sugar from my life because I can't handle just a little. Advice??

That's because a little sweet here and there IS ok! I eat ice cream every single night and still reach my goals. If you understand the mere science of it all, you will know that as long as you are getting adequate protein and staying within your calories, you will still see results. You're being too hard on yourself! And if you just can't keep them in check, do NOT buy them at the store. Make it more difficult for yourself to have them within reach. Buy a single serve Ben and Jerry's every once in awhile. :)

Also, are you making changes out of disgust? "I decide one day that I'm disgusted and have had enough so I begin to log what I eat and exercise consistently." Or out of LOVE? When you LOVE your body every step of the way, it is easier to keep things within control. You can love your body, while at the same time wanting it to be better. Too many times people get back on and then fall off diets because they are not made to be sustainable. A lifestyle change is what is necessary and if you love sweets, make sure they are part of that change. Xo
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing - except I tend to fall off my plan around the 5th week. The most important part is something you are already doing. Recognizing your habits and tendencies will help you so much. I am getting out of my more lenient phase right now and getting back on track. As long as you don't fall off the wagon for too long (for me more than 2 weeks) I think that it is fairly easy to return to your good habits. I don't really think that anyone can maintain the same level of motivation week after week. You just need to be on track majority of the time and you will be fine.
  • Goingsunny
    Goingsunny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How many calories of ice cream do you eat, jrider84, when you eat it every night? I suspect it's a reasonable amount. I don't know if it's an addictive personality thing with me, but I typically move up to an unreasonable amount (not crazy but enough to see the pounds come on over time). I think that people end up attempting restrictive diets because reasonable so often fails. But I am processing all the feedback.