Increase protein intake

Options
Hi all.
I've been using MFP for a couple of weeks now and having good results! The one thing I'm slightly concerned about is protein. I'm keeping my cals, carbs, sugar and sodium on target but protein is quite often half what it should be for the day. I am trying to alter the food I eat to correct this, but I wondered what people thought about protein powder. Is it just a lazy way to get the protein I need or is there some real benefit?
I should add, I'm not looking to build huge muscles by lifting heavy weight. My goal is to lose weight and get fitter.

Thanks in advance for any response received.

Replies

• Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's not a lazy way of getting protein. I do a protein shake every morning before working out. It helps to be build back the muscles you tear down. You want to get a good protein whey powder. Not one that is full of fillers.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder a few days a week. Most of my protein comes from meat, eggs, various forms of dairy, etc. But powder is an easy way to get a bit more protein on days when my other sources are going to come in a bit low. Think of it as a supplement rather than a replacement (in other words, add it to your diet, don't use it in place of other good sources of protein.)
  • RozzeleS
    RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to try hit my protein without supplements, but I am a huge meat lover so this does help, I think it depends on the individual but shakes are a good way to start increasing protein and get used to it, as long as your getting it don't worry too much.
  • sandrade70
    sandrade70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've started added collagen to my oatmeal and my morning protein shakes to hit my numbers, especially on days when I have double workouts.
  • Laurasparkle90
    Laurasparkle90 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use diet whey protein after workouts or if I need to top up my cals if I haven't got much of an appetite. I find it really keeps you full and you can have it in different forms like protein pancakes, mug cakes etc.
  • Captain_Chao5
    Captain_Chao5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I've just been looking at Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder. Seems to get good reviews on Amazon. Maybe I'll give it a try.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use protein powder a few days a week. Most of my protein comes from meat, eggs, various forms of dairy, etc. But powder is an easy way to get a bit more protein on days when my other sources are going to come in a bit low. Think of it as a supplement rather than a replacement (in other words, add it to your diet, don't use it in place of other good sources of protein.)

Bingo
  • jemhh
    Options
    GezSugg wrote: »
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I've just been looking at Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder. Seems to get good reviews on Amazon. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I have had their vanilla (I think it's called vanilla ice cream) flavor and like it. It seems to be a fairly popular brand. It's really good mixed with berries.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options

The ON brand is what I use. Half a scoop with plain Greek yogurt topped with fruit... very filling.
  • carswell413
    carswell413 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can vouch for ON whey... I'm using double rich chocolate right now
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's not lazy at all . . . it's convenient and for some people it's just really hard to eat the raw food to meet their protein targets (whether that's just a matter of volume, not having time to prepare/sit/eat, etc). I'm not a fan of making them a primary source of protein--like making them 3 or 4 "meals" every day, but powders are absolutely fine. Lots of them out there, you just need to find one you like. Be careful about things like serving size, the carb/fat content, etc. I use lower carb, lower fat powders because I don't have a problem hitting those targets typically and I'm not trying to bulk right now.

A simple whey protein is usually good for most people, unless you have some kind of dietary consideration.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I use a whey isolate and, unlike some, it's actually really tasty.

http://www.monkeynutrition.com/catalog/product/view/id/138/s/primal26-pro-advanced-whey-protein-isolate/category/15/

I don't think it's a lazy way to get protein. I'm trying to get 1g of protein per pound of weight and it's hard sometimes. There is only so much chicken, tuna and eggs I can eat...
  • Captain_Chao5
    Captain_Chao5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hope I've not offended anyone with my comment "Is it just a lazy way to get the protein I need". I probably should have chosen my words slightly better. Thanks again for all the responses. I'm very grateful for the advice.
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

ON is a pretty solid choice . . . good quality and won't break the bank. Shop around for the best price. The trick really is finding a brand and flavor that meets your needs and that tastes good. Flavor can vary widely in quality between brands and even within brands--meaning one company's chocolate might be really good, but their strawberry (or whatever) is horrid. Some sites have samples that you can order, so you can get a taste without committing. You might also find small pouches at supp stores locally that you can buy for cheaper to try.

I'm unfortunate in that I REALLY love chocolate, but I have a dietary restriction (kidney stones) that means I should avoid it. Can't stand vanilla. So I've had to do some experimenting to find flavors/brands that I can stomach. There are a few good (or at least "serviceable") tropical punch or fruit flavored wheys that I like and that mix/taste good with water.

That's actually another consideration . . . you have to find something that you like that mixes well and tastes good in whatever you are mixing it with. Some powders are great in milk--gawd awful in water.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that protein powder is a "lazy" way to get protein. However, I've been doing a lot of research, and I've become convinced about the importance of protein intake in maintaining lean mass while l lose weight. And I've realized that it's nearly impossible for me to consistently hit the 100g of protein I think is necessary to meet my goal. So I get most of it from food, and add a protein powder when I'm just not going to hit that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't see the contradiction between something being a "lazy" way to meet a need and it having a real benefit. Protein powder *is* an easy and convenient way for many people to meet their protein needs. In that sense, it's "lazy," but that doesn't mean that it is negative or that one shouldn't do it.

When I buy broccoli at the grocery store, it's a "lazy" way to get broccoli (compared to growing it myself). That doesn't mean it isn't okay.

We all have a limited amount of time and resources. If someone wants to have concentrated protein because they would rather use their time or energy in another way, I think that's completely understandable -- just as I would rather buy broccoli than grow it myself.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I don't even know what people mean by it being a lazy way to get protein. Is it because it doesn't require chewing?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When I buy broccoli at the grocery store, it's a "lazy" way to get broccoli (compared to growing it myself). That doesn't mean it isn't okay.

LOL I think if I had to kill my own chicken for my protein I'd be vegan!!! :D

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

I think that's actually a pretty common reason to go vegan (not *having* to do it, but realizing one wouldn't be willing to do it).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Paul McCartney — 'If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.'

I buy brands where the animals were not raised on a feedlot/CAFO/factory farm.