Diagnosed with hypothyroidism

Options
I've been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I'm having trouble remembering to take my medication (combination of a foggy brain and too rushed in the morning, too tired at night). Any helpful tips? Also note: I have 2 active dogs and a curious 5 year old, so leaving it on my nightstand or anywhere eye level is not an option.

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone? There's an app called Mango where you can input your meds, tell the app what time you want to take them, and it will set an alarm to remind you.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I take meds/vitamins everyday. I keep an extra dose in my purse so if I forget, I have a back up.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Put your pills wherever, but realize you need to take then first thing with water. If you don't you die. If you mess around and don't take them properly you do not get the full benefit of the drug and will stay symptomatic. I am hypo also. I think you can remember if you take it to heart that your heart will just slow down until you die if you don't take this.
  • hmolyn
    hmolyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No iPhone, but good tip about keeping extra in the purse. Thanks!

Luckily I'm on a low-ish dose right now, with regular blood tests to see if I need adjustments (just diagnosed a few months ago), so it's not life threatening if I miss a dose, but I seem to have issues with energy level/brain fog if I miss more than one dose, and I don't want to mess up the blood test results/stay symptomatic. I haven't had to take any regular meds before so it's an adjustment.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    hmolyn wrote: »
    I've been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I'm having trouble remembering to take my medication (combination of a foggy brain and too rushed in the morning, too tired at night). Any helpful tips? Also note: I have 2 active dogs and a curious 5 year old, so leaving it on my nightstand or anywhere eye level is not an option.

I set an alarm for an hour before I really have to get up, take my pills (I have to take 2), and either go back to sleep or do chores. That way in an hour I can eat. Some days it's rough and I don't want to get up to take them, but just remember if that happens that it's better than foggy brain. If you already have an alarm clock you don't want to change or are afraid you won't be at home when it's time, I'd consider getting a travel alarm clock, a real thin one you could slip into a purse that's set just for that pill.
    Remember with your thyroid pill that you should take it the same time, every day, only with water. I've always seen/heard that it's best to take it in the morning (haven't done any serious research on that). And avoid soy proteins.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to get a night stand with a drawer that you can baby proof? I have to keep mine by my bed and take them first thing or else I will forget. Now it is a routine, so even on vacation or when I sleep in I still remember that it is the first thing that I do in the AM.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for 7 years, and it is best to take in the morning, on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything. I have it in a pill organizer, right by my bathroom sink so I see it first thing in the morning. It is habit now. I take all other supplements in the evening before bed because they can interfere with absorption (ie..Calcium). Taking your medication regularly at the same time every day will help with your weight loss. If you can't leave it in an easily viewable area, post a note on your bathroom mirror to remind you to take it.
  • hmolyn
    hmolyn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. With a early morning alarm I've managed to take the meds on time everyday for the last 5 days, so hopefully it's the start of a good habit for a change ;) I just got word a few days ago that I've also got a micro adenoma on the pituitary, so likely more meds on the way.
  • TracyShing
    TracyShing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I was recently diagnosed hypothyroid and have been worse off since I started therapy (5 weeks ago). Please feel free to friend me. I just posted on this same thread looking for folks to swap support with.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    hmolyn wrote: »

At your next test, tell your dr you have been missing doses,the meds do not work if you are not consistent. Basically, the simplest thing to do is to consider your pill your breakfast. It has to be in the morning, it has to be on an empty stomach and you cannot eat or drink anything but water for half an hour (unless you are taking gel-type pills which usually can be taken with coffee or tea, still no food). Taking pills at random times means you are messing with treatment. So, while you are feeding your kid breakfast, you take a pill. Then postpone breakfast for later. I usually get something for breakfast at work.
    Whatever symptoms you are experiencing, these are not from skipping a pill. The pills will make a change over the course of months, not days. Lowering your overall weekly average, means you are not properly medicated, but you will not feel an effect the next day. Taking by mistake a second pill, now that you can feel and it is not an experience I recommend...