Should I Eat Back My Exercise Calories?

I've started reading the blogs on myfitnesspal and have found them very helpful. This one, by Elle Penner, M.P.H, R.D, changed my mind. She writes that we shouldn't eat those calories back.

"Remember, the calories you eat and exercise off are estimations, and we’re more likely to overestimate calories burned from exercise. If hunger hits between meals, start slow–particularly if you’re trying to lose or maintain your weight. Begin by eat back a percentage of your exercise calories (say, 50%) rather than all of them, and see how you feel in 20-30 minutes."

I want to be in control - not the numbers.

Read the entire article: Should I Eat Back My Exercise Calories?

Replies

• elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited February 2016
    In the past month, I've only been eating back half my exercise calories. But after watching trendweight closely, it says I have been losing faster than I wanted - about 1.5lbs a week. So last week I started eating back all my exercise calories. Will keep watching trendweight and use the data after 2-3 weeks to decide if I need to adjust that up or down. I find I am more likely to overestimate the food I eat so it evens out for me.
  • nitrox624
    nitrox624 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to maintain your current weight then yes you should eat back the calories that you expended during exercise. But as you stated above do not overeat your calories burned because most fitness trackers overestimate your calorie expenditure.

If you are trying to lose weight then do not eat all of your calories back but eat back a portion of them. Depending on your level and frequency of exercise, eating back too few calories is going to leave you feeling hungry all the time and your exercise performance is going to suffer.

(Disclaimer: I am not a doctor so be all means you should consult a certified nutritionist for professional recommendations)