Encouragement

Options
This morning was a great morning. We had a small snowstorm delaying my office to open. So I had an extra cup of coffee, wrote in my journal and planned my day out in my planner. I was content until I headed in to take my shower and decided to get on the scale. I was so upset...just like that I officially joined the 200lb club. I don't want to be in that club. I want to be in the 160lb club. I am so upset and disappointed in myself. I don't even know where to begin. Don't know what to eat or not to eat. I need encouragement and guidance.

Replies

• MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well the good news is your on the right site.

As you obviously like planning and structure some of the things you need to do are going to be fun.
    1. Enter your data and goals into MFP to get a calorie target, be realistic, over optimistic goal will just make you miserable
    2. Plan your meals for the week staying within that target (remember snacks so you don't get too hungry)
    3. Find a way yo move more, walk/swim/cycle what ever you can fit into your schedule
    4. Update you diary with your actual information and exercise.
    5. Make friends and have fun
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    what he said!

You have the power to change this and get yourself into the 160 club! Make good decisions, explore MFP and make it happen. I look forward to following your progress.

I've been in both clubs btw...I also prefer the 160 club
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Start with simple steps and don't get overwhelmed. Do you have a food scale and measuring cups and spoons? If so, start weighing and logging everything you currently eat for a week or so. Then look it over and see where your strengths and weaknesses are and how far "off" you are from the numbers MFP gives you as far as calories and what not.

Then make one change at a time: eat a little less of what you're eating now; find substitutions for food that is high in calories and not really worth it to you. Eat the foods you like in proper quantities and don't feel obligated to eat things you don't like just because they are promoted as "healthy". Baby steps!
  • catherinekalberg
    catherinekalberg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Weight happens I got up to 180 I was eating horrible food. but if you are really committed and don't want to feel discouraged get out your tape measure and put away that scale until you have dropped a few inches all over. Inches will dissappear faster then the weight (most of the time.) Plus weight fluctuates so much it's a terrible indicator of your health. Take a before pic and in a month after dropping some inches take another!

I started zumba. It's free on youtube and isn't boring and repatitious.

I'm not a nutritionist but trans fats and added sugars should go immediately.

You need healthy fat and protein with lots of fruits and veggies. So veggies fruits nuts seeds eggs and lean meats.

I cut gluten because in my opinion the "nutrients" it contains are undeliverable. And it's high in calories. I could eat a plate full of veggies and fruit or 2 slices of Bread. I pick the plate full of veggies and fruit to stay fuller longer for less caloric intake.

You really can lose it.
  • lorimc71
    lorimc71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the positive words. I do have the food measuring tools. I have it all. I started logging what I've eaten as of today. Next week I will be better prepared. How does everyone stay motivated? How do you track, electronic or paper? How do you find that balance of making it a lifestyle change without becoming all or nothing?