The struggle is real

Options
I have had a lifetime struggle with weight. 4 years ago I lost 25 lb then had surgery and gained it all back. Recently I was diagnosed also with hypothyroidism. I started this last week and no change I weight. I'm sad and discouraged. Muy fiancé loves me But I would love to be about 30 lb lighter. Drinking alcohol and overeating salty, fatty foods is my problem. I'm just so frustrated. I want this weight to go away. Why can't I do it? I just feel like a failure.

Replies

• wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    you have to burn more calories than you eat, it is nothing magical. You can do that by maintaining current activity levels and reducing food intake, or maintaining current food intake and increasing activity levels to create a deficit. At the end of the day, you just have to make it a priority over the other things in life (alcohol and fatty foods) if it is really what you want out of life. Hopefully things improve for you and you are able to get where you want to go. Good Luck
  • marcsgirl10
    marcsgirl10 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in November. Even wth eating well and exercising, I was still gaining weight. Turned out my thyroid was to blame. It takes a while. I'm on my 2nd time upping my meds and I feel better each day. It will get better. Go to the library and check out some books. Energy has been my biggest concern. Take naps if you need to and maybe get an appointment with an endocrinologist.

I know this part will suck, but alcohol is not helping you. At all. I have some from time to time and even if it's a glass of wine I still feel awful the next day. Look for some alternatives for the salty and high fat foods. I've cut salt drastically. My hubby has always been on me because I love salt so much but there are other ways to flavor foods. I get anywhere from 8-11 hours of sleep each night. A body with hypothyroidism needs tons of rest. Trust me. Yoga and Tai Chi are great for helping stress and relaxation.

Please know that I understand how badly this sucks. But it WILL get better. It sucks having a body that people don't understand. People almost make fun because I'm so meticulous about food but when the symptoms get better, it makes the case for keeping up the lifestyle.

I hope this helps! I'll send you a friend request!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Stop eating loads of crappy salty food. If you really want to lose weight, then commit to the program and count calories. Put up with eating less and eating better for a month, then climb on the scale, or feel the wiggle room in your formerly tight pants and decide if it's worthwhile.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What was your approach this week? Did you monitor calories and exercise?
  • wendylynne917
    wendylynne917 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm in the same situation with the drinking and overeating ugh! I'm logging everyday to hold myself accountable. I did it before and it worked. Everything that I ate or drank I logged and saw how bad I was doing lol. Good luck you can do it!!
  • dewifit
    dewifit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for people to motivate me that have an open diary. The struggle is REAL
  • ShrinkingScientist
    Options
    My diary is open to my friends, feel free to add me. I'm a graduate student, so it includes a lot of premade stuff I can grab and go or fruits/veggies.
  • TekDoc
    TekDoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I will tell you what I do. Maybe that can help. If Alcohol has a strong hold on you, what you do is start with cutting off alcohol for about 1 month. Replace it with another type of pleasure. Maybe a day at the Spa. Something a bit more healthy or productive. Sometimes volunteering somewhere to help others may help. The key is to keep away from where the weakness is, if that makes sense. Hope this helps. Please reach out to me. I most definitely can help. Because I have been there!
  • kristynread
    kristynread Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I was having a really bad day when I wrote this. I have been tracking for a week, but have also been really stressed. I'm wondering if that's why I didn't lose. Also, I had tendinitis in my foot so burning calories was difficult. But I bought some new shoes and my foot feels better. The worst part will be the weekend: socializing!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol and overeating salty, fatty foods is my problem. quote]

Ok, so you've identified a problem. Now, what are you doing to correct it? Light beer instead of regular? popcorn instead of chips? homemade hamburger on flat wheat bread instead of McDonalds? That's first.

Now, I say this because I also have hypothyrodism. Been diagnosed for 3 years but the meds are not a magic pill. All the meds do is allow my body to process normally, the rest is still on me.

Lastly, you said you just started back last week. By no means did you put on 30lbs in a week. Give it time, allow your body to adjust and stick with it. It will work if you believe in the process