losing weight and fighting hypoglycemia

Options
Anyone else have non diabetic related hypoglycemia? It really is a struggle. I'm constantly being told to use artificial sweeteners and avoid sugar. I also have to eat about twice the amount of protein than is recommended. Some days my diet feels so bland but I stick to what I know to keep stable, other days my blood sugar is so low I'm grabbing anything I can as fast as I can. I know I'm not alone and diabetics can relate I'm aure. Just needing some support, maybe advice . . . .tthank you all

Replies

• tbearyw
    tbearyw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I have that too struggled for a few years just try to get a good protein at every meal an snack. Get high protein granola bars to keep on hand. Nuts or cheese it is very hard to balance with trying to lose weight. Most important thing get your blood count level at a consistent point then workbon dieting u need to getbat a safe point first. Hope this helps a little
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Hotshot_Barretta Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I'm going through divorce, lacking sleep, and my counts are lower than my norm. It's nice to know someone else has been successful in dieting while dealing with keeping stable
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Are you type 1 or type 2? I am type 1 and have worked very hard with my dr to get my insulin pump settings adjusted to avoid lows. However, if I do go low I eat glucose tabs. The Dextrose in the tabs raises blood sugar the fastest and they are only 15 calories each. Protein does not treat low blood sugar FYI. If you go low frequently, your dr can help you make adjustments to your meds.
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I've been hypoglycemic since 13
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have non diabetic related hypoglycemia? It really is a struggle. I'm constantly being told to use artificial sweeteners and avoid sugar. I also have to eat about twice the amount of protein than is recommended. Some days my diet feels so bland but I stick to what I know to keep stable, other days my blood sugar is so low I'm grabbing anything I can as fast as I can. I know I'm not alone and diabetics can relate I'm aure. Just needing some support, maybe advice . . . .tthank you all

Do you keep "good" snacks in your bag? That helps me a lot. And for me, NOT eating a lot of sugary snacks or heavily refined carbs makes keeping my blood sugar even so much easier.
  • tbearyw
    Options
    Any type of stress affects your levels too it is hard til you get your levels up I also like special k protein bars strawberry lots of protein not a lot of calories find in pharmacy section of stores with all the diet stuff
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    I will have to look into protein bars. I'm following paleo for the most part yes avoiding sugar and carbs helps protein helps the most, thanks for all the high protein low Cal snack suggestions!!!! That's what I need to keep with me but I can't seem to find many that aren't a lot of cals, I will have to look into the special k and try it out, ty!!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but I've been hypoglycemic since 13

Ok. How low does your sugar go? Are you checking with a meter?
  • tbearyw
    Options
    Also best sugar substitute is stevia in the raw no generic itbworks bestbfor us and doesn't have artificial ingredients
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit I keep jolly ranchers and beef jerkey in my bag lol, I need to switch it up!!!
  • 003julie
    003julie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im hypoglycemic too and it always wrecked my diets. Since ive had no added sugar foods its been stable, so avoiding sugar is the best thing. I think artificial sweeteners raise insulin too like sugar so i avoid them too as much as i can. I was diagnosdd prediabetic 2 mths back and ive since learnt that if uou ate hypoglemic you're more likely to turn diabetic later in life. Protein with carb small meals not too far apart is best
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    I'm trying my hardest to avoid diabetes though it runs in my family on both sides. I've been hypoglycemic for 14 years which is almost unheard of without being diabetic by now. Artificial sweeteners tend to make me feel like crap all day and cause stomach issues, I also have chrones, fun life lol. No gull bladder either so low fat is needed. Thank you for sharing and I hope you beat this before full diabetes. I heard juicing is good for hypo and diabeic. I juiced for 2 months and lost 30 pounds, ran a bit low but within my norm. I just missed food lol
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Fiber has actually really been my friend with hypoglycemia. If my diet has a lot of fiber as well as protein, my blood sugar stays so much more stable, even at lower weights.
  • 003julie
    Options
    I don't fancy juicing either i like to feel like ive eaten food. Diabetes type 1 & 2 runs on both sides of my family & ive been hypoglemic since my teens (im 45 now) so has taken a fair while to turn prediabetic and ive eaten alot of sugar over the years with my sweet tooth
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    Thank you!!! I will be adding way more fiber along with my protein. Something I haven't tried before! !!
  • 003julie
    Options
    Ps. Wish you good health and thanks
  • Hotshot_Barretta
    Options
    Ty, same to you!!