Cheat days. Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I say Nay to a cheat day. Instead, if I want something badly enough I log it and if it doesn't fit, I don't eat it. I do pre-log and allow myself a piece of dark chocolate every night. For me, this is a life style and I don't think one day should be set aside for 'cheating'. Enjoy what you want when you want it as long as it fits into your daily goals.
  • flyawaybride
    flyawaybride Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In the past when I've tried to lose weight (and did) I used this site/app to count my calories. I would allow myself a weekly "cheat" day where I would eat whatever I wanted. I found that, over time, combined with being too concerned with numbers on the scale and in my diary, it led me to an unhealthy relationship with food. I started to think of foods as either good or bad and would feel guilty if I indulged during the week. I would feel like a failure if I gave in to a craving and then think, well, I already ****ed up today, why even try to eat better?

This time around, I've ditched the scale and the cheat day. I'm more focused on just making better choices and going based on how I feel. Do I want an ice cream cone? Sure, sometimes. But being lactose intolerant, is it really worth feeling like crap after? In the morning I always crave something sweet. So instead of my usual donut or sugary cereal, which don't provide me with anything but a short burst of energy followed by a crash, I make myself a smoothie with lots of yummy fruit and combine it with a couple scrambled eggs for protein. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of sugar, but my body feels more energetic and not as "weighed down" and sluggish after. I definitely still have something if I really want it, I just cut down on the portion I'd normally have. Last night I wanted Chinese food, so we ordered some and I ate half of what I normally would. My craving was satisfied and so was my hunger without eating too much.

So for me, I suppose I would say nay. If I really, really want something, I have it. If I crave something like sugar, I reach for fruit instead of candy. Cheat days are a bad idea for me, but do whatever works for you, as long as it doesn't become an unhealthy relationship.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think the whole concept of "cheat days" sets one up for long term failure. Eat what ya want when you want, just do it in amounts that fit into your daily goals. Why work hard all week and go 1500 calories over on a stupid pizza? If you are on a 500 calorie deficit, you just negated 3 DAYS of work. Want some pizza have a slice or two at dinner, want a donut? Take a little hike and enjoy it.

This.

If someone is eating an entire pizza every weekend and still losing weight, they must be eating at a massive calorie deficit the rest of the week. If that arrangement works for them- cool. I'd personally rather have a slice of pizza when I'm actually craving it and not suffer with hunger and deprivation six days out of the week and then feel like a beached whale on the seventh day after eating a whole pizza (Which I think would not even be enjoyable? I usually feel a little queasy after a third slice.).

I mean, do what works for you as far as maintaining calorie balance, but do know that a "cheat day" that's sufficiently extreme can wipe out your deficit from previous days, and does not do anything special to boost weight loss. Personally I'd rather just eat at a less extreme deficit every day, and enjoy higher-calorie foods in moderation as I wish.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks again all! I did cheat yesterday but was cautious with breakfast and lunch so, even though I ate greasy pizza and sweets in the eve, I stayed within my plan! Yay! :)

You realize that it isn't "cheating" if you stayed within your calorie plan, right? It's just eating some food that might not be nutritionally optimal. Which is fine and won't affect your weight loss, although as a regular habit it might have nutritional consequences (pizza for dinner every single night would make it a challenge to hit protein goals for most people, for instance).

But you don't have to have a special day for that, and it's not "cheating" on your weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks again all! I did cheat yesterday but was cautious with breakfast and lunch so, even though I ate greasy pizza and sweets in the eve, I stayed within my plan! Yay! :)

You realize that it isn't "cheating" if you stayed within your calorie plan, right? It's just eating some food that might not be nutritionally optimal. Which is fine and won't affect your weight loss, although as a regular habit it might have nutritional consequences (pizza for dinner every single night would make it a challenge to hit protein goals for most people, for instance).

But you don't have to have a special day for that, and it's not "cheating" on your weight loss.

Exactly this!
  • amandajpiper
    amandajpiper Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Exactly this!

I posted this question before Saturday. I was fully expecting to go over my calorie count. With some great advice from posters (many thanks!), I was careful w breakfast and lunch to ensure I stayed within my calorie count.

Cheat day is something that's always in this house. I should have mentioned in my original post that I have a couple of high needs children on a very clean diet. Eating zero processed, no chemicals, additives, artificial flavours, and low sugar, they're able to maintain concentration during the week at school with out being on multiple medications. Weekends, when they don't have to be in a classroom, they get treats they typically don't eat during the week. Cheat day exists here no matter what I chose to eat. They call it treat day though, not cheat lol
  • Chrishartman1979
    Options
    I think everyone is different. What I like to do is eat healthy everyday during the week for all my meals. I definitely get cravings so I tend not to keep any processed food in the house that I may be tempted to eat during the week and binge on.. So typically when I go shopping I stick to the outside of the stores for protein,fruits, and veggies.

Once a week for dinner (usually a Fri or Sat) I will eat something that I really want. Pizza, Wings, etc. I typically eat something healthy if I can right before like a salad or fresh veggies. This limits my pizza and/or wing intake haha. Plus you learn to eat slow and enjoy it.

I found that it helps. If I didn't have a cheat meal at least once a week I don't know if I would be able to stay on a diet.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Exactly this!

I posted this question before Saturday. I was fully expecting to go over my calorie count. With some great advice from posters (many thanks!), I was careful w breakfast and lunch to ensure I stayed within my calorie count.

Cheat day is something that's always in this house. I should have mentioned in my original post that I have a couple of high needs children on a very clean diet. Eating zero processed, no chemicals, additives, artificial flavours, and low sugar, they're able to maintain concentration during the week at school with out being on multiple medications. Weekends, when they don't have to be in a classroom, they get treats they typically don't eat during the week. Cheat day exists here no matter what I chose to eat. They call it treat day though, not cheat lol

So why do you call it a cheat day?

Negative self talk is so damaging
  • crpoll5
    crpoll5 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days. I call them "reward days." All the hard work and wheel power I use day to day lets me reward myself once in a while to enjoy something tasty. I don't workout everyday so I can never have an ice cream cone unless I consider it cheating. Cheating is bad and I am not being bad by rewarding myself.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't plan any cheat days. However, I don't beat myself up if I have a day (or week) of slip ups. So, although I don't plan for cheat days I guess you could say that I accept that there will be the odd 'oh sh**' day, heh.
  • mricciomack
    mricciomack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    personally, I take Saturday as a cheat day. I know it's against the grain but it works for me and helps me stay on track the other 6 days of the week. Plus, on Sunday's I have my best workout of the week. I can lift heavier and longer. If I was cutting, I would not do a cheat day but I eat about 1500 calories 6 days per week and then whatever I want on Saturdays. So far, it has been working....I'm basically maintaining. I weigh in once every week or two. Some weeks I'm up a pound, others I'm down a pound. I have a range of a few pounds where as long as I'm in that range I'll keep doing what I'm doing. If I fall outside that range I will likely skip a cheat day for a few weeks.
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't turn into a cheat-weekend, then cheat-week.
    I would say Cheat Meal and walk your 10,000 steps that day.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i usually fit what i want into my day

sometimes i dont and just say "whateves" and end up eating a way higher calorie day

it happens annd it might happen this weekend on valentines day..we will see :wink:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No. I can't do cheat days. It makes it too hard to stay focused. It makes me feel like I'm starting all over again. I do have days where I go over because no one is perfect. I guess, it's more like a cheat meal than a day. I know I'll likely go over Friday because hubby and I are going out early to celebrate Valentine's day. I will log it and move on.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think there's something to cheat days - though I don't call them that. I've recently been reading a bit about calorie cycling, and the main premise is that a normal person doesn't eat the same calories every single day. Some days it's more and some days it's less - that's normal.

When MFPers begin to eat a relatively stable amount of calories every day, and we are losing weight, our bodies get wise to it. The body doesn't like losing weight (it thinks we are starving)... so it's more likely to set your body into starvation mode (and that's when we might get a plateau). By recalibrating a few days every week, with a few higher than normal 'cheat days' (I'm not really an advocate of blow-outs that totally destroy your plan), your body is less likely to think you are starving. On those cheat days, your body gets an excess of calories, so it thinks everything is normal, no need for concern or slowing metabolism down.

So adding a few higher calorie days into your mix, I think is not a bad thing. It's obviously working for you too... so why mess with it when it ain't broke. If it keeps you sane, then all the better for it.
  • Free2batx
    Free2batx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    All that matters is energy balance.

Consume less calories than you use, over a sustained period, lose weight.
    Consume more calories than you use, over a sustained period, gain weight.

How you come about this is totally up to you.

If you wish to term something a cheat meal, go for it, but it really is just like everything else, calories and macronutrients.

Nothing 'resets' your metabolism. As human beings we simply do not function that way. Unless you have a metabolic disorder, there is little point in even passing a thought to your metabolism, and certainly not to effecting it in any significant manner.

I'd personally drop the whole cheat/good/bad/crap/healthy/unhealthy view of foods in isolation, and develop a balanced dietary intake that encompasses the foods you like.

THIS.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Your body craves what you eat most... so I try to avoid a full blowout cheat day because then I will be left craving all the destructive foods the next day and I have to fight off those urges screaming at me like a toddler in full tantrum mode.

I have lost about 45 lbs in about 6 months and still on my way. I do plan around holidays with extra cardio and/or lower calories before and after the big meals, but over all I sprinkle in my little "cheat" treats every day so I don't feel totally deprived the rest of the time. The hardest thing has been about finding that balance.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say... it depends on the person. For some, it works great, they can lose and maintain. For others it doesn't, and it leads to the infamous downward spiral. Neither way is wrong or right.... but maybe just wrong or right for each individual.

For me, I can do both. I require about 2100-2300 cal per day to maintain. Some weeks, (special events, vacations, etc.) I have cheat days/meals.... with an adjustment of lower calories for the rest of the week. And other weeks I have 2100-2300 cal/day each day. As long as I average about 16000 calories per week, I'm good.

I don't lock myself into one way of eating. Life usually dictates my needs, and I have figured out how to maintain using either method. It's not any one day that will make or break you, but how many calories you eat week after week, month after month, year after year.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My father swore by cheat days. He said even God took Sunday off, so he would too! LOL. I've never really liked them, but it's a "know thyself" sort of thing. I know that if I went hog wild on a day, it would turn into 2-3-4 days. That's not to say that there aren't days I know I'm probably going to be somewhere where I won't have much control or whatever, but try to go into it cautiously.

I have discovered though that, through watching my numbers, that - like today - so far has been a "low-fat" day. It's just worked out that way. Sometimes, in a day or two, I'll really want extra "fats". Again - try to go about it cautiously.

I say if having a cheat day works for you, and helps you get through - then by all means do it. My dad said that he ended up not having as much of something as he thought he would because sometimes it wouldn't taste as good as he remembered. Who knows.

Do what works best for you - that's what I say. :)
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a nay, just because naturally stuff comes up and becomes my cheat meal. (NEVER a day, usually a meal.)

Business lunches, birthdays, family dinners prepped by someone else, life has enough cheat meals in it that you don't need to plan extras in! <3