Anyone have mirena and still losing weight?

Options
Hello All!

I am supposed to get Mirena tomorrow. I am nervous that it is going to stop me from losing weight. Does anyone have it and is still able to lose weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep. I got it 6 weeks postpartum. I'm 10 pounds below my prepregnancy weight (my son is 2). I lost it all in <1 year.
  • tamh170obust
    tamh170obust Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost while I had Mirena however gained when I was switched to Paragaurd... also have far more issues now rather than before
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Here are some stories about women that state that they gained.
    http://www.babycenter.com/400_weight-loss-after-mirena-removal_14417092_327.bc
    BUT: According to the manufacturer, up to 5 percent of women who use Mirena gain weight.
    Many experts believe that weight gain caused by contraceptives is due to the hormone estrogen.
    However, Mirena does not contain estrogen.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have had for 3 years. I had some weight gain in the first 2 years, but I believe that was fully to do with my sloth, not with Mirena. Lost 70 lbs in less than one year, still with Mirena and have been maintaining for about 7 months. I understand some people have issues, but I have had no problems and an overall great experience. Good luck!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirena for 4 years now. It has made zero change in my eating habits. 174 down to 130 lbs...but HEY! I'm a calorie counter- which works!! Stick to your calorie #'s!! :wink:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Birth control in and of itself does not make weight appear out of nowhere. It can, however, mess with your hormones and appetite. It can make you feel hungrier than normal, which if you give into the hunger can cause weight gain if it puts you above your maintenance calories.

If you continue to count calories and keep at your calorie goal, you'll continue to lose. Also, changing your birth control or starting birth control can cause you to retain water until your body gets used to the hormones (if on a hormonal birth control). That water weight can hang around for 3 weeks to 3 or 4 months. If you haven't been eating above your maintenance calories, it is not fat gain but rather water weight.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm on it, I'm not neccesarily putting weight on because of it, but my mood is terrible PMS + Ovulation, and of course I just want to eat to feel better, in one year I have not gained, but have not lost, I'm at a healthy weight but "trying" to lose the last 5-8
  • lpadancer
    lpadancer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena through my entire ~60lb weight loss and am continuing to lose as expected. If anything, birth control might make a person a bit hungrier or temporarily retain water - it does not make us gain weight. Stick to your calorie goals and you will be just fine.
  • BryonySigrun
    BryonySigrun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have it and have been losing.
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I lost while I had Mirena however gained when I was switched to Paragaurd... also have far more issues now rather than before

Paraguard really shouldn't have any bearing on weight loss/gain. It is completely hormone free so there are no synthetic hormones going into your body that would cause weight loss or gain.

OP- my best advice is to make sure Mirena is the option for you before getting it. Educate yourself, and talk to your doctor to make sure it's a good fit for you :)

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I was much older than you are when I had mine placed (5 years ago when I was 41, 11 years after the birth of my son), but all of my weight loss has come since then.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am on my third one. (The baby turns 13 this month.) I gained weight all by myself. No help needed from Mirena. I also lost weight all by myself :blush: EveryBODY is different, but if you eat at a deficit and work in some exercise for strength and fitness, you should be fine. I'm more fit at 48 than I have been in 30 years.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm up 5 lbs in the 2.5 months I've had it. I've posted about this. I can assure you I have not loosened up my logging nor increased my caloriesx and I even began exercising 6 days per week. If I look back at my weight chart, you can see a direct upwards climb after I had the Mirena inserted. I don't think it's fat, but I always feel extremely bloated. My ankles look like "cankles" and my fingers are very swollen. I know that every one wouldn't agree, but if I personally knew how it would effect me I wouldn't have gotten it.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I had mine already when I started dieting. Lost 30lbs and been in maintenance for a month. Didn't affect me in the least.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had mine put in after my last pregnancy. July 25, 2014 to be exact. It hasn't caused any problems with my weight loss.

Here's my weight trend since I had it put in:
    m9vcjmbjf5xj.jpg
  • jflanaganasl
    jflanaganasl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this thread makes me feel like a total failure. I gained weight while on Mirena, but not because of the birth control itself....but because between the agony of the insertion and the constant stabbing pain it caused, I couldn't work out! Ended up having it removed after docs verified it was in the proper place and shouldn't be hurting me like it was. :| Back to the drawing board!
  • fleurhaus
    fleurhaus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had Mirena for about 6 months. I was also really afraid about the possibility of weight gain. However, since I have had it, I have lost over 13 pounds and still counting. I do not believe it would hinder your ability to lose weight. As long as you continue to log (using a scale for accuracy) you should be fine.
  • msaconitum
    msaconitum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Got a mirena and had no issues with losing weight with it in. I did notice that when I was on the combined pill I was constantly hungry which made it hard to stick to my goals.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I had mirena in my profile picture judge for yourself
    The only thing I find is when I get a new one this is my 3rd it slows weightloss down for a while a progesterone does that
    I had 2 = 9 years had it removed to get pregnant but it caused me to hemoragh lost my baby at 5 months pregnant to sepsis last year them hemoraghed weeks o had to have another to stop what it caused as I had 11 blood transfusions in 3 months
    I'd seriously think about having one this is common good thing is no periods but it can effect weightloss
    My second I was losing weight every week for 17 weeks had to get a new one the first was out date then I lost little stayed the same gained for a while on the placement of the second so there must be something in it as I didn't come off my plan
    But yes you can lose weight on it
    I'm evidence
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for a year and lost 30 lbs and keep on losing. I had no issues with weight gain, but do recall feeling a bit hungrier at first.