What is vigorous exercise?

Options
I am 24 and a female and a month into getting fit. I have noticed that usually when I work out I can hit a heart rate of about 160-180 I break a sweat but its not a super intense feeling. I can keep that going usually for the entire hour of my workout. Isn't vigorous exercise where you are gasping for breath?

I noticed that even when I feel like i am not doing much, I can still have a heart rate of about 130-140. I keep reading the 220-your age and multiply that by .70-.85 to get my target heart rate range but when i am at that range, I don't feel like I'm dying during my workout. Does it have to do with my fitness level?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is relative to conditioning. Don't use a heart rate to judge intensity, push yourself into an uncomfortable place.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's vigorous. You're also 24 years old, and in your physical prime. It sounds like you're quite fit and doing well.
  • DMB147
    DMB147 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    vigorous exercise is p90x, cross fit high intensity work outs and NO gasping for breath is not good for you to do.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    DMB147 wrote: »
    vigorous exercise is p90x, cross fit high intensity work outs and NO gasping for breath is not good for you to do.

Says who?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think vigorous exercise is relative to your fitness level. I love gym hopping and trying new things and I've been in classes where people are struggling while I may not be so vigorous is different things to different people.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Carry on a conversation = moderate exercise
    Difficult to converse = vigorous