Need a solution ASAP

Options
monday thru friday im good with calories and working out i end the week off at 218 when i weigh myself on monday i be like 224 or 223 and it been the same like 3 weeks and i can' t break this cycle i do have my cheat meal saturday afternoon but that almost is healthy have of the time as well is do you think it can my be water intake b/c honestly i know half of the time i dont make it over 80 ounces in a day

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of sodium on the weekends? Could be water retention.
  • xxval21xx
    xxval21xx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It may be due to water retention from your workouts throughout the week? Also I suggest you only weigh yourself once a week, right after waking up after using the bathroom to ensure good and constant recordings. Your weight will fluctuate from day to day so it's best to stick to one day of the week at the same time when you can measure the overall progress and not just daily fluctuations. Best of luck on your journey!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's not your water intake. 80 ounces of water is fine.

What do you eat when you have your Saturday afternoon meal? My guess is that it is the problem. Even healthy food can be higher in sodium and/or carbs, which often lead to water retention. In addition, if it his is happening every week and there's no overall downward trend in weight, it sounds like you could be eating enough on Saturday to negate what you didn't eat earlier in the week. Could you open up your diary so we can see what you've been eating?
  • dagloman
    dagloman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yeah the weekend is the only time i really eat sodium i love my five guys as a my cheat meal but if its just water why do it take almost 2 sometimes three days to go back down
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dagloman wrote: »
    yeah the weekend is the only time i really eat sodium i love my five guys as a my cheat meal but if its just water why do it take almost 2 sometimes three days to go back down

Depending on what you eat at Five Guys, you could be consuming a lot of calories (and sodium). But water weight can take 2-3 days to come off.
  • dagloman
    Options
    my meals for the week are for breakfast two eggs fruit and protein drink, lunch is a vegetable with chicken, steak, or turkey with sweet potatoes and same for dinner might switch out sweet potato for brown rice though my snacks consist of fruits, nuts, and protein drinks depending on what I'm feeling and its the same every week
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Cut out the cheat meal...
  • Icaw
    Icaw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water will actually reduce how much of it you retain, oddly enough. So drinking more water is a good thing.
    There's no way your Saturday cheat meal are 17500 calories, so this is probably just sodium causing you to retain water for a few days :)
    I wouldn't worry about it! It isn't real weight gain. If it upsets you then you could try to eat stuff with less sodium.
  • dagloman
    Options
    i just might have to in order to reach my goal of 200
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's pretty normal. The after effect lasts longer than the fun. I try to separate higher carb and higher sodium days because when I do them at the same time I'll gain 4+ pounds and it takes me weeks to get it off. Two to three days, as annoying as it is, isn't really bad for losing it again.

Maybe Five Guys as a burger but no fries for a few weeks could help. I have that every week or two and don't seem to have a problem. But I also eat it without a bun. You may not find it such a treat to eat with a fork.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You could still have your 5 Guys on the weekends if you just cut your calories a little throughout the week. I like to eat more on the weekends too, so I just eat a little lighter throughout the week so that it all averages out to goal.
  • dagloman
    Options
    okay so if its normal im good thought i was doing something off im not trying to see 245 again at all
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Or make sure that the day before and the day of that meal, get more water? That happens to me. I have to be really careful of carbs and sodium on those meals that fit my calories for the day, but bump me over otherwise... Still, seems like you should be able to fit that in. Maybe once a month? (You could get some really good data if you did this for 4-6 months and see if there's a pattern!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much.. plain and simple. Or you'd be losing overall, even retaining a bit of water after your cheat meal.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Take your weight on Fridays. Water weight works itself out, and you haven't "enjoyed" your Saturday meal.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    The weekend fluctuation is most likely due to water retention from the Sat. cheat meal. If you are eating healthy during the week, as you mentioned, I've found that consistently eating well and then eating something high in sodium makes me even MORE susceptible to water retention. It takes several days to go away.

As far losing weight overall, if you're trying to get to 200 lbs. or below then as @Francl27 said, you are probably still over eating even if it's healthy food. Do you track your food here? Do you use a food scale?
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You might find it helpful to eat a little less during the week (like 100 or 200 hundred calories a day), then on the weekend when you splurge a little you sort of use those calories then...like a calories savings account :-)

This works really well for me personally. Helps me keep my sanity and reach my goals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're eating too much.. plain and simple. Or you'd be losing overall, even retaining a bit of water after your cheat meal.

3 weeks and no change.... I second what she said.

5 Guys is calorie exploding (but freaking yummy though) and will derail anyone's diet even eating there only once a week. They put double order fries in those bags they serve + extra. How many tray's of those yummy peanuts do you have? And what do you get on that massive burger?

Seriously, you may be eating at a deficit through the week, and by the time you have 5 guys, you can bet you are back at maintenance plus extra calories for the week.

Stop the cheat meals/days. If you want to get it off, you need to be consistent and committed. Sodium takes usually 2 -3 days for me but no three weeks.

Change your weigh in day or do one Friday morning (first thing after the bathroom) and then check it again Sunday or Monday after your weekend and see how much you gained over the weekend.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here is the nutrition (at least a version of it) chart for 5 guys - yowzer.

http://www.nutrition-charts.com/five-guys-burgers-and-fries-nutrition-facts-calorie-information/

Read it and weep - the sodium for the bacon cheeseburger is almost my daily limit! Look at the fries - and check out the WW points!!

You may want to rethink this cheat meal and scale it back a bit - find another burger place!
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe change your weigh in day to Wednesday so your body has time to kick out the extra water weight and bloat. If you truly are doing only one cheat meal a week I wouldn't worry about it. The rest of your meals sound great. So just try changing your weigh in day for a week and see if that helps with finding your true weight