Looking for low cal frozen yogurt and ice cream recipes

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
It would be great to get some recipes for lowcal frozen yogurt and ice cream, please? Also it would be great if you could share some of your favorite toppings, please.

Many thanks!

Replies

• deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Neapolitan Banana Ice Cream
    Makes about 4 ½ cups

Vanilla Banana Ice Cream:
    3 large ripe bananas, peeled
    Seeds from 1 vanilla bean, or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Chocolate Banana Ice Cream:
    3 large ripe bananas, peeled
    3 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
    Strawberry Banana Ice Cream:
    2 large ripe bananas, peeled
    1 cup frozen strawberries

Special equipment: an 8-by-5-inch loaf pan

For the vanilla banana ice cream: Cut each banana into 6 chunks and freeze until rock solid, preferably overnight.

Put the banana chunks and vanilla bean seeds in a food processor and process. Hang on, your food processor may jolt in the very beginning! The bananas will look crumbly at first, then gooey and eventually light and creamy- just like ice cream. Stop the food processor frequently to scrape down the sides of the bowl and break up any clumps. Transfer to a bowl and put in the freezer.

For the chocolate banana ice cream: Cut each banana into 6 chunks and freeze until rock solid, preferably overnight.

Put the banana chunks, cocoa powder and coconut oil in a food processor and process. Stop the food processor frequently to scrape down the sides of the bowl and break up any clumps. Transfer to a bowl and put in the freezer.

For the strawberry banana ice cream: Cut each banana into 6 chunks and freeze until rock solid, preferably overnight.

Put the banana chunks and strawberries in a food processor and process. Stop the food processor frequently to scrape down the sides of the bowl and break up any clumps.

To assemble the Neapolitan banana ice cream: Scrape the vanilla-banana ice cream into 1 end of an 8-by-5-inch loaf pan so it fills about 1/3 of the length of the pan. Use a rubber spatula to push it back a bit if you need to before adding the chocolate-banana ice cream next to it, filling the middle third of the pan (it's ok if they run together a bit). Scrape the strawberry-banana ice cream into the other end of the pan. Serve right away or freeze until ready to serve. To serve, run an ice cream scoop down the loaf pan to make 3-flavored scoops.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just bought an ice cream maker but have yet to use it. I'm hoping to make some lower calorie/macro friendly ice cream this week. Will post if I succeed.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's not homemade but Stonyfield organic nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt is really good -
    1/2 cup is 100 calories
    with 19 sugars protein 5g
    I like raisins and almonds or roasted peanuts on top
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's not homemade but Stonyfield organic nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt is really good -
    1/2 cup is 100 calories
    with 19 sugars protein 5g
    I like raisins and almonds or roasted peanuts on top

Yeah it is good! I usually have the whole pint.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    @arditarose I measured it out tonight because I went over on Saturday lol!
  • arditarose
    Options
    @arditarose I measured it out tonight because I went over on Saturday lol!

I hear you. I had a very high weekend :)

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have an ice cream maker and have tried a few things with almond/coconut milk plus a scoop of vanilla protein but nothing I am wild about yet. My kids are obsessed with the ice cream maker so we have been focused on trying recipes they like. I have made a lot of really awesome full-fat, full-calorie options including chocolate thin mint, lemon cookie crunch, Mexican hot chocolate. I am an ice cream lover :)
  • erinpetey
    erinpetey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love frozen yogurt and ice cream, and discovered that it's super easy and quick if you simply use greek yogurt. Mix in sweetener of choice, and whatever flavorings sound appealing!

A few favorites: berries and honey; almond butter and chocolate chips; nutella and crushed oreos
  • cookies3164
    cookies3164 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a real fruit split ice cream, from Tesco, every night after my dinner. Only 74 calories. Well worth it.
  • cookies3164
    cookies3164 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry that should be 75 calories.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see homemade frozen greek yogurt like they have in the stores. I tried it by mixing greek yogurt with some chocolate protein powder, and it came out like a rock from the freezer. I think I need more ingredients than that.