FAST FOOD FAST FOOD FAST FOOD

Options
So I just started this a few days ago and I already feel a lot better about what Im eating. The second night I was tracking I went home and had yummy soup and rice and I was good... my fiance on the other hand dragged me to Arby's and bought dinner and I said no :) I resisted temptation and stuck to my calories I guess its a bit of a NSV (because I love Arby's fries) but the real reason for this post is....
This guy I work with goes out to lunch EVERYDAY and when I say everyday I mean everyday!!! Its always fast food, Jack in the box, Arbys, McDonalds, you name it and he gets it! I used to be like god that looks so yummy and now Im like "dude your asking for clogged arteries and bad health!" To top it off he complains all day about not having money to do anything! Really?! Stop buying crappy food everyday! Bring your lunch or something!
I just had to vent this out so thanks for listening :) Comment or not
BTW He just left like 5 minutes ago to get food .... I went to the fridge and am now eating a super yummy salad BROUGHT FROM HOME!!! Very proud of myself!

Replies

• karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I had a serious fast food addiction while finishing school and working two jobs. I can't believe the money I am saving and I feel so much better. If I do stop at fast food now - I try and pick the best thing I can and then compensate later - because even the good stuff is loaded with sodium. Stay with your plan - we all ultimately have to figure out how to live in the world and eat healthy - tough to do sometimes!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's a very clueless co-worker! ;)
  • veggie_1200
    Options
    I actually just watched the documentary Super Size Me and that definitely made me think twice about going for fast food! If you haven't already seen it, you should watch it. It's on Hulu for free and it's really motivating!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Thank you Laura you totally gave me something to do lol
  • veggie_1200
    Options
    Haha, glad I can help! Let me know your thoughts on it when you're done with it
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I work with those type of people as well. my fix was to pack my lunch and leave ALL money/debit cards at home. No money, no eating out.
  • miclavd
    miclavd Posts: 15
    Options
    There are healthy "fast food" choices out there. To me now, I look for Subway, Panera (pick 2 menu), Jimmy Johns (on 9 grain, w/ mustard instead of mayo), or chipotle (3 tacos won't kill you on calories. I do have to stay away from the burrito though. :(

Arby's was my weakness.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I actually just watched the documentary Super Size Me and that definitely made me think twice about going for fast food! If you haven't already seen it, you should watch it. It's on Hulu for free and it's really motivating!

You should watch Fat Head. Just as eye opening in a different way.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i also just watched Supersize Me and wow I don't think I want fast food again! I will make a note to watch FatHead rileysowner, thanks. Last weekend actually we had Arby's and it wasn't even ten minutes after I ate my stomache started cramping so you can notice how our bodies are changing the way we process the bad foods now
  • shinybluestar
    Options
    I go to school 3 days a week and we get a half hour lunch break and two girls in my class go out for fast food every night! I don't know how it doesn't get to expensive
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    i have a coworker who does the same, when I tell him to stop eating that junk he always tells me I have to live a little lol
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    It's great that you're happy with the lifestyle changes you've made! But I don't think it's fair or okay to judge other people's diet. Just focus on what you're doing and your progress, it will be much more satisfying.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I've always loved fast food..I'd kill for McDonalds French fries! But tonight we went through town and I hadn't eaten supper yet. My son wanted Taco Bell...we went through the drive thru for him. I passed Taco Bell, McDonalds, KFC, Arbys, Burger King and A&W and waited until I got home to eat..Subway was already closed by the time we went buy. But I've found I will wait until I get home now and eat something decent and healthy instead of the garbage. Good Luck.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had fast food for dinner tonight. Rubios blackened mahi mahi tacos. Two of them. With sauce. 460 calories. There ARE healthy choices out there. What I really wanted was an In N Out cheese burger but there was no way I was going to let my insane workout today be for nothing. I bet if your coworker worked out really hard, he'd think twice about what he was putting in his mouth! ;)

I do agree with the gal that said to just focus on you and what you're doing. You're the only one you can fix. :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    i have a coworker who does the same, when I tell him to stop eating that junk he always tells me I have to live a little lol

if I had a co-worker like that I'd lift my shirt and point to my gut. "see this? I already lived a little too much!"
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have to agree - you are making your choices and he is making his. I personally eat lunch out every single day and I would find it kind of offensive if someone told me I needed to bring my lunch so I could eat healthier. I mean i think its ok if you mention something like "if you bring your lunch twice a week it would save a little money" when he specifically brings up a lack of money to you -- but don't push it.

*edit* this was in response to bethanycee but I did it wrong*/edit*
  • Beastiephile
    Options
    Your body will thank you in the long run for making healthier choices. Him on the other hand, even if he's not seeing the effects now...all that fast food is gonna come back to haunt him later on in life when he has high cholesterol/heart problems/etc.

I'm constantly surrounded by people like that too. But when I stick with my healthy food when everyone around me is eating rubbish, it makes me feel proud of myself after for having that kind of willpower. It will make you mentally tough when you're faced with the choice of eating a salad or eating McDonald's. You CAN DO IT! =)
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm working to remove fast food junk out of my diet. I gained 20 lbs in a year of minimal exercise (sitting in a cubicle) and daily fast food.

I've since lost 18 lbs in the last 10 months and I intend to lose 12 more to bring me back to my wedding weight (17 years ago) with a little more focus here courtesy of MFP.

My wife has her personal goals as well and she's doing the same now as well. It serves as a good example to our boys.

Bruce
  • downwardsunshine
    downwardsunshine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch at Subway every day as it is two doors down from my store and perfectly healthy.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just a note, if you like Arby's - Lion's Choice restaurants have the LEANEST sandwich beef out there. I go thru and buy 3 oz occasionally and put it on my salad with some chipotle dressing - just like a great steak salad at a good Mex restaurant. Decadence without the guilt!

Next time he comes in with the FF bag, say 'Dude, that doesn't smell right. Are you sure they cooked that safely?' And then leave the office and go take a 10 minute walk while he wolfs his ick-lunch.

Fast Food Nation is a REAL eye opener!